• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CGC Listen?

126 posts in this topic

Is it really the five dollars that bother you?

I am sorry for the ramble. It is almost four in the morning and I just got in front of my keyboard when I should be going to bed.

I find myself in a dilemma. The fees don't bother me, especially since I have paid twenty four dollars to get a book graded on site. I would do it again. I am bothered because I had a book returned to me that never should have dropped in grade. It was a copy of X-Men/Alpha Flight issue #2. I bought it as a 9.8 and sent it in to get signed. It received a 9.4. How did a modern age book drop that far?

My other problem is my Wolverine #10. It still bothers me. When I saw the grade, I was OK with it. I understand that a book could be marred during signing, but how did the spine roll happen. I washed cars for a few years and I do remember when people would say we scratched their car when we didn't. They even went so far as knowing their scratches. Did they name them? We will rip the mirror off no problem, but a scratch is normally repetitive. At times of equipment failure, we didn't scratch the car, we ripped it apart.

This is akin to a mother knowing which identical twin is which. My copy of Wolverine was flawless. The spine was as tight as any CGC 9.8, even tighter. Dare I say it looked just as good as My New Mutants #1 in a 9.9? I feel beside myself because I love the camaraderie of the journals and my fellow collectors. The e-mails and the chat board fees; even the other journals and the lists. I tried getting the #1 set of the New Mutants and I am proud of that and I will Get the rest of the set graded but will I send in more boos to only be charged the $5 once or will I just wait for the same day service.

Where am I going with this? I don't know I had a long day at work and I thought that I wished every table would at least give me a five dollar tip. Five dollars per an invoice would definitely add up. So let me propose this to any CGC employee reading this. Think about it and if it is a good idea send it to the higher ups.

At the moment CGC will only accept Books from someone who has a membership, whether that is business or personal. Anyone who is willing to purchase a membership should continue to use the price breakdown of 2011. The majority of us that are angry about it to the point they want to have their books graded by PGX is a bit extreme but instead of alienating strong repeat business...gain new business.

Work with the dealers you already have. Allow new members to try CGC without joining anything other than using the free membership. Charge them a higher fee and the $5 charge. For instance maybe $20 on a modern book along with the five dollar fee. If they like the service then they will join and get the discounted rate. The other thing is if a member fills out their invoice online then they get a ten percent discount. I like that but just lower the prices. It's like food shopping. Stores raise their prices to give coupons to seem to be giving a better deal.

I am sure something might be in the works but let us know about it. NGC has a weekly trivia, CGC has nothing. God damn I hate being the black sheep of the family but that is what we are sometimes. I hate rambling because I know that is what I am doing. I also know as long as dealers keep getting books graded there will still be a market for CGC to charge what they want. I am guilty of sending in twenty books before the deadline. I will be guilty of sending in two more series, maybe three, but what if I lose faith that CGC can grade and handle a book?

I felt elated that a book of mine was graded a 9.8, a book that I had since my youth. Then I chanced it. I wanted a signature. Was it greed? I don't think so. It was my book, my treasure. But the book was mishandled or mislabeled and the wrong book was sent to me. I think that hurts more than the price increase. I think CGC needs more of a spokes person. Someone to explain what is going on, what changes are happening, why a five dollar fee is imposed, and why we should use CGC instead of PGX

Just my Five dollars worth

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

PS. If anyone wants, email me or leave a message on the board and I will try to write more about this.

At the moment CGC will only accept Books from someone who has a membership, whether that is business or personal. Anyone who is willing to purchase a membership should continue to use the price breakdown of 2011. The majority of us that are angry about it to the point they want to have their books graded by PGX is a bit extreme but instead of alienating strong repeat business...gain new business.

Work with the dealers you already have. Allow new members to try CGC without joining anything other than using the free membership. Charge them a higher fee and the $5 charge. For instance maybe $20 on a modern book along with the five dollar fee. If they like the service then they will join and get the discounted rate. The other thing is if a member fills out their invoice online then they get a ten percent discount. I like that but just lower the prices. It's like food shopping. Stores raise their prices to give coupons to seem to be giving a better deal.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here, but this, as I interpret it: "At the moment CGC will only accept Books from someone who has a membership, whether that is business or personal." is incorrect. You do NOT have to have a membership to ANYTHING to submit your own comics DIRECTLY to CGC by YOURSELF. And you still get the 10% discount!

THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR ANYONE TO SUBMIT BOOKS TO CGC! IT IS COMPLETELY FREE, NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED.

Can you please show me where CGC allows that. A link or something. I know you can send books in through a dealer but I could not send in books myself without a paid membership.

You may submit comics if you are a paid member of CGC Collectors Society. is what they say on CGC's How to submit page. Follow the link below

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/how_to_submit.asp

If I am wrong please show me where you got this information.

Thank you

Tnerb

Can you please show me where CGC allows that. A link or something. I know you can send books in through a dealer but I could not send in books myself without a paid membership.

You may submit comics if you are a paid member of CGC Collectors Society. is what they say on CGC's How to submit page. Follow the link below

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/how_to_submit.asp

If I am wrong please show me where you got this information.

Thank you

Tnerb

You've got the right link, you just need to read more closely. The very first sentence says "We offer three ways to submit your comics to CGC for grading". The first option is "You may submit comics if you are a paid member of CGC Collectors Society" (a complete waste of money if you're sending in Moderns). The second is through a local dealer. It's the third option you want, that's the one to send them in yourself through an Internet partner.

Just click on one of the dealers' link in Option # 3 (doesn't matter which one, choose your favorite). After clicking that link, find the "Submit Comics to CGC for a 10% discount" link on their webpage. You will be brought back to the Collector's Society page to fill out the paperwork and you just go from there. Print out the right forms and send in your books directly to CGC, no middleman, no membership required.

That being the case do any of those links charge more in ways of shipping and handling. I know of a store that will send them in (Philadelphia area) but offer no discount so they make a little because I am sure they get the discount. they just don't pass it on. I will look more on this and write a few more journals, but it is New Year's Eve and I have to get to work. Any other information would be great.

Thank you

That being the case do any of those links charge more in ways of shipping and handling.

No, no, you don't understand. YOU are sending the books into CGC YOURSELF. You pack up the books and you go to the Post Office and send them in.

I know of a store that will send them in (Philadelphia area) but offer no discount so they make a little because I am sure they get the discount. they just don't pass it on.

That's too bad considering they probably get a 20% discount. But why wold you want other people handling your books? Send them in yourself.

It does matter since quite a few if not all require a fee to become a member.

That makes no sense. It costs a fee to buy something off of those websites? How would I become a member of Superworld's site?? I'm gonna guess you've never clicked on any of those links. Go ahead, try it, you'll see.

That's why I asked which option you are using. Some of them do cost to join a membership to the site or you have to pay for their services.

That being the case do any of those links charge more in ways of shipping and handling.

No, no, you don't understand. YOU are sending the books into CGC YOURSELF. You pack up the books and you go to the Post Office and send them in.

I know of a store that will send them in (Philadelphia area) but offer no discount so they make a little because I am sure they get the discount. they just don't pass it on.

That's too bad considering they probably get a 20% discount. But why wold you want other people handling your books? Send them in yourself.

And depending what you are sending this can cost you more than taking them down to your local comic shop.

If you have concerns, just give a few of them a call. High Grade Comics, Worldwide, Classics Inc. are all good folks and could tell you how they do things. It's my understanding, though, that you can submit them directly under one of the member companies.

It does matter since quite a few if not all require a fee to become a member.

That makes no sense. It costs a fee to buy something off of those websites? How would I become a member of Superworld's site?? I'm gonna guess you've never clicked on any of those links. Go ahead, try it, you'll see.

That's why I asked which option you are using. Some of them do cost to join a membership to the site or you have to pay for their services.

Which websites charge you money to purchase from them? That's like saying CGC charges money to post on their website. What services are you talking about, there are no services related to this type of submission?

Again, if you would just click on the link(s) in Option 3 and go through the motions you'd see what I'm talking about.

And depending what you are sending this can cost you more than taking them down to your local comic shop.

Not really. Also you've missed an important point: why would I give my comics to some guy at a comic book store? And some people wonder why their resubs come back lower. You can't control what he does to your comics, you can't control how he packs your comics, if he switches out your comic for a lower grade copy, etc. There are horror stories about this kind of thing happening, and one about a dealer so cheap he waited months to get enough comics to submit so the shipping would be cheaper and lied to the customer about it.

If you have concerns, just give a few of them a call. High Grade Comics, Worldwide, Classics Inc. are all good folks and could tell you how they do things.

Good info but completely irrelevant to what I'm talking about. Direct submissions use no physical middleman, you are not submitting your books under a members' company, it doesn't matter how they do things. All you're doing is using their link to get a 10% discount, that's it. You don't send your books to them, you send them directly to CGC.

I have no concerns. Our new friend believes he's got it all figured out. lol

Pretty embarassing for you that a "Noob" knows more about submitting comics to CGC than you.

Actually more entertaining that you think you do. lol

Not really. Also you've missed an important point: why would I give my comics to some guy at a comic book store? And some people wonder why their resubs come back lower. You can't control what he does to your comics, you can't control how he packs your comics, if he switches out your comic for a lower grade copy, etc. There are horror stories about this kind of thing happening, and one about a dealer so cheap he waited months to get enough comics to submit so the shipping would be cheaper and lied to the customer about it.

Lovely stories. The shipping charges can actually add up quickly so somebody submitting a couple of books would be wise to submit through a 3rd party. In the vast majorities of cases the 3rd party has much more experience on how to properly pack and submit. As mentioned earlier this method can often be cheaper. How many comics have you submitted?