• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Goal(s) in Comic Art for the New Year

38 posts in this topic

I know what I like, and if the opportunity to own one comes along I'll make a run at it (depending on my budget at the time) but I rarely seek out art.

+1. The only specific goal I have is to add at least one Byrne/Austin Uncanny X-Men page to my collection this year. And, I'd like to focus more on comic book art than illustration art (though, that will largely depend on what becomes available during the year).

I usually say that I want to spend less than the previous year, but I think that'll pretty much be a given in 2012 after how much I spent last year. :eek:

I usually say that I want to spend less than the previous year, but I think that'll pretty much be a given in 2012 after how much I spent last year. :eek:

:insane:

No specific goals for me either. I believe in staying flexible.

Well, this is year 2 for my collecting, so I think I have almost a 1/4 of a clue what I like now. Pretty sure I still have 0% of a clue what I'm doing.....

Last year I felt like I was flailing around in the dark a bit. This year I am trying to be pretty streamlined on what I'll buy. I found myself buying stuff last year just because I had the "oh that's cool" reaction to it.

1. A Sandman Page

2. a McSpidey Page

3. Continue to get nice Uncanny X-Force (If Opena ever puts anything for sale!) and Invisibles pages

4. If I have any left over $$ maybe a Jim Lee Uncanny page

My goals, money allowing :

A cover (there is one in particular I keep an eye on)

Some Crossgen OA (Ruse by Guice, Negation by Pelletier: should be quite easy for Pelletier, less for Guice)

A Stormwatch page (I know there are some for sale, I'm just waiting for the good time and the good one)

A page by Immonen

A nice page from a Superman series

A JLA page by Porter (early issues)

A Green Lantern Corps page by Gleason

A Star Wars page

Pages by Carlos Meglia (Cybersix), Mike Wieringo, Roy Allan Martinez (Wicked), Todd Nauck (Wildguard) ...

So many OA, so little money ...

Mycroft you're everywhere in 2012 :whee:

2011 was a great year for my humble collection : Jim Lee, Mignola, Finch...

and for 2012 :

first i'm waiting for 3 commissions : Art Adams, Esad Ribic and Jason Pearson, hope i won't wait to much :wishluck:(already 7 month for Ribic...)

then for the cover : Finch (best of the best) and Marc Silvestri

and nice interior page : Quitely, Mignola, Bradshaw, Art Adams, Silvestri, Jim Lee and Michael Turner

i'll sell too some of my art... need cash for my targets

happy new year fellow collectors

My goals, money allowing :

A cover (there is one in particular I keep an eye on)

Some Crossgen OA (Ruse by Guice, Negation by Pelletier: should be quite easy for Pelletier, less for Guice)

A Stormwatch page (I know there are some for sale, I'm just waiting for the good time and the good one)

A page by Immonen

A nice page from a Superman series

A JLA page by Porter (early issues)

A Green Lantern Corps page by Gleason

A Star Wars page

Pages by Carlos Meglia (Cybersix), Mike Wieringo, Roy Allan Martinez (Wicked), Todd Nauck (Wildguard) ...

So many OA, so little money ...

The cover and the pages by Immonen are on their way to me .... :whee:

Although I could have bought some, I decided against the Superman and Wieringo pages, the ones within my (small) budget not meeting my (great) expectations. :(

With the goals I try not to get to specific with an issue and page but here goes:

Virgil Finlay piece, hopefully an inked piece from one of the pulps of the 30's or 40's

Don Martin gag, Captain Klutz is top on the list

Hal Foster Prince Valiant panel or strip

Batman Golden Age comic art or strip

Flash Golden Age comic art

Patrick Nagel , Playboy Forum

Half was thru the year and haven't gotten anything I listed at the start of the year. Did get a Frazetta and an ink and water colour Flash Gordon by Al Williamson.

Nothing specific, but I would like to be a bit more talkative with other collectors and try to go off flebay. Maybe a few more TF pieces from earlier issues and not try and buy everything I find "cheap".

Well, for me I've gotten a number of new pieces this year, but haven't managed to get off eBay. Problem being that the artist I like always sells his stuff on there, so it's hard to get around.

I have started some conversations with others, but I am very proud of myself for picking up a few pieces by directly asking an artist, which was definitely different for me. Also, I've been more willing to step up on what I've bought. Of the 12 or so pieces I've gotten (wow... didn't expect it was that many...), there are about 3 or 4 that are probably part of the "good stuff" I was looking for and the rest is decent.

My new resolution is to actually go and scan what I have and as a note to my future self, get more splash pages and covers. Stop it with the small stuff unless it's an artist you don't have.

Work on my frenz/bagley commission and another new warriors splash page.

Got several new warriors pages and should be getting half of the Ron frenz commission soon!!!

Of course I did get some "oh that's cool" pages... my Edlund Tick would call into that category...

All in all, for a newbie on a budget, I feel like it was a good start to the year

Nice pickup. I always liked that series and Ben's quite a talented guy (as a writer and an artist).

Sell some art, and hopefully not buy anything.

Sold a bunch of stuff and most of my debt I racked up while working full time is almost gone. I only regret selling one piece. Had I known I would've have sold other things for so much and also land a decent part time job while back in college I probably would have held onto it. Haven't bought anything though., so I am at the half way point. Since I am working and selling more stuff I might buy one or two smaller things later on in the year but that's it.

My goals:

1) Agnes Garbowska - LSH vs Fatal Five battle scene

2) Russ Heath - Sea Devils cover recreation

3) Nick Cardy - Aquaman #18 recreation (yeah, that's going to happen :) )

4) Frank Brunner - Howard vs. Donald in a death match with Daffy as the referee and Beverly as the sign girl. "Loser Wears Pants" is the working title. :)

5) Katie Cook - not sure what, but her list is closed so ...

Probably change all of it, but ...