• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 Goal(s) in Comic Art for the New Year

38 posts in this topic

Happy New Year!

As a possibly fun, interesting thread... What are your realistic original art collecting goal(s) for 2012, whether to complete a book, obtain a specific piece, acquire general piece from a certain title or artist, or get a commission from a specific artist?

This might be a fun timecapsule to visit this time next year and see if you accomplished your goal(s)

My comic art goal is to acquire a Chis Claremont/John Byrne/Terry Austin "Uncanny X-Men" page in 2012...

...also to get my Bill Sienkiewicz commission which I paid for in 2011, and have it in my possession in 2012.

With any luck 2 more Chew covers and maybe an entire Chew issue

Other then that I plan to spend the year convincing a fellow boardie to sell me 2 covers. :)

I anticipate some sort of drastic change in my OA collecting. I'm getting tired of single character sketches. After a while they all start to blend together, y'know?

So, I don't know what the focus will be, but it'll probably wind being either larger commissions, or published stuff. Either way, it'll mean less volume / higher prices, but I'm hoping it's worth it.

No specific goals for me. I know what I like, and if the opportunity to own one comes along I'll make a run at it (depending on my budget at the time) but I rarely seek out art.

This method has worked so far, I think in each of the last few years the stuff I added to my collection gets better and better!

Malvin

I started a similar thread elsewhere ... here is what I posted as my goals:

• I would like to acquire my first cover

• Signature pieces – focus on a few signature pieces like covers, splashes, DPS, etc. – this will probably mean less overall pieces but that is what I am looking for.

• More OA, less commissions – this was my goal for 2011 and I think I was successful but I would like to go even further in this direction. Only get commissions that I really want which will require restraint but will also help with the signature pieces goal above. I have a few really cool commission ideas I am hoping for that I would also fall into the specialty category. Go big or go home!

• Get stuff on the wall! I am able to view my art quite frequently but it is only by flipping through my Itoyas. I would really like to get some stuff on the wall. I have a plan for this so my goal is to execute the plan.

• Sell off some stuff – I have a stash of toys, statues, art that does not fall into my current collecting focus. I have started to sell some items this year but at a very slow rate. I would like to sell quite a bit more next year. Steve’s Hulk memorabilia sales that I see on eBay every week has really inspired me to do this so that I can build up a reserve for a couple key signature pieces I have my eye on.

• Solve a mystery – I picked up a great piece of art this year and it probably would have won out the top 2011 piece but there are a few questions I have on it that I am hoping to figure out in 2012. More to come on this in the coming weeks I hope!

• Get a scanner and get better at posting artwork to CAF. I am terrible at posting artwork and would like to catch up on all my artwork not posted online. I would like to get high quality scans of my artwork that is already posted updated as well.

• Attend heroes con to hang with my fellow gammabros and acquire some artwork!

My plan is to make the jump into the world of Comic Art and to secure a couple of nice OA pieces for my new comic/man cave. I'm not sure as of yet if I'll pursue Covers, Splash or Pages, but I would like to aventually own a little of each. Right now I'm working with an artist on a commissioned piece that I hope to do going this week :wishluck:

Excellent list, I echo all these goals! I just wish I ran across more signature pieces.

• Signature pieces – focus on a few signature pieces like covers, splashes, DPS, etc. – this will probably mean less overall pieces but that is what I am looking for.

• More OA, less commissions – this was my goal for 2011 and I think I was successful but I would like to go even further in this direction. Only get commissions that I really want which will require restraint but will also help with the signature pieces goal above. ...Go big or go home!

• Get stuff on the wall! I am able to view my art quite frequently but it is only by flipping through my Itoyas. I would really like to get some stuff on the wall.

• Sell off some stuff – ...build up a reserve for a couple key signature pieces I have my eye on.

I've already sent a dealer a request on some pages he has and if he works with me I'll be closing in on completing an entire book of original artwork. Other than that I plan on keeping my eyes open for new talent and getting some great stuff commissioned. Best of luck to everyone!

With the goals I try not to get to specific with an issue and page but here goes:

Virgil Finlay piece, hopefully an inked piece from one of the pulps of the 30's or 40's

Don Martin gag, Captain Klutz is top on the list

Hal Foster Prince Valiant panel or strip

Batman Golden Age comic art or strip

Flash Golden Age comic art

Patrick Nagel , Playboy Forum