• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World: Chicago, looking for info

7 posts in this topic

Well, I'm done making my reservations for my 12th trip in a row to the San Diego con. A few weeks ago I returned from my second trip to Wondercon and in my attempt to become a serious "conventioneer" I just took the plunge and made reservations for Wizard World: Chicago. I'll be staying at the con sponsored Radisson O'Hare, although I booked it with air on Hotels.com. I'll be checkin' in Thursday night and staying the full three days of the con.

Anyway, I've never even been to Chicago but I wanted to check out this event. I remember before Wizard took over that the Chicago con was known as the second largest comic convention, following only San Diego. Is this still true now that Wizard has taken over? I know it is smaller than San Diego, but how much? And how much bigger than a show like Wondercon? Any other differences anyone cares to point out as far as dealers, programming, events or otherwise? I guess I just like to know what to expect, more or less. Also, what is the area like where this convention center is located?

Anyway, I'm looking forwards to it, but it's just three weeks after San Diego so it should be a busy month. For those that have been to this con before or live in the area please let me know your thoughts. Anyway, I'll certainly be meeting some of you at both the San Diego and Chicago forum dinners. Thanks-------Sid

I was there last year and was helping out a vendor, so I enjoyed the luxury of early access, but there were a lot of people. The line-ups start fast and fill up very quickly. My most memorable moment of last year's show was on the Saturday morning when I was wandering the floor just before the show opened. Moments after the PA announced that the show was open, I first heard the ever growing louder thunder of footsteps and then saw the stampede of people rushing at me. My mistake for being around the Mattel and Star Wars section where they were selling the exclusive Batman and silver Boba Fett action figures. You could actually see the crowd go from walking quickly to full-out sprints.

Anyway, I've never even been to Chicago but I wanted to check out this event. I remember before Wizard took over that the Chicago con was known as the second largest comic convention, following only San Diego. Is this still true now that Wizard has taken over? I know it is smaller than San Diego, but how much? And how much bigger than a show like Wondercon? Any other differences anyone cares to point out as far as dealers, programming, events or otherwise? I guess I just like to know what to expect, more or less. Also, what is the area like where this convention center is located?

You may have been there when he said so, but Steve Borock said that Chicago was the best comic convention in the country (or something like that) when we spoke to him after the WonderCon forum dinner. I am going to try to attend Chicago this year. thumbsup2.gif

Scott, yes I do remember Steve saying that this was "the best show for comics". I guess that means that the best and biggest dealers show up with their best comics inventory. Just wondering about the other details as well. I'm sure my buying needs will be met pretty easily. ----Sid

If you fly in its only maybe 10 minutes from O' Hare airport Great show get there early if you can as the majority if the best stuff always seems to change hands during set up/Friday morning Last year one guy had about 400 long boxes piled up in one large stack All the books were .25 each I was too lazy to dig thorugh them, a friend of mine spent most of Thursday afternoon digging and neded up with 20 longboxes+ all Bronze and Silver age for a quarter each!