• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My little challenge to me

60 posts in this topic

100 bucks... 1000 points... go!

Can I get a thousand registry points with a hundred dollar budget? Lets see! It will require patience and lots of eBay scouring for CGC deals, but for fun this will be my academic exercise of 2012. I will update as I go. No hurries from me since it will require luck and patience to try and pull of a 10x points vs dollars evaluation. Now to see if this posts to the Message Board.

See more journals by miraclemet

I know of several books that you could probably accomplish this goal with... but i won't ruin the hunt for you.

I picked up a book last year for around $250 and it was worth over 2600 registry points, but I have also spent $250 on a book worth only 300 points. Just make sure you love the books you buy.

Good Luck!

Prepare for my opinion below... you have been warned!

Just focus on collecting what you like as the registry points/rankings don't really mean much anyway. There are tons of graded books and collections out there that will never be added to the registry by choice of their owner/s and that makes the ranking system completely inaccurate as you will never know if your set is truly the best or not, but I will say the registry is a great tool for staying organized, sharing with people, and keeping tabs on your collection. Organization, sharing, and learning are the top reasons I use the registry.

You can't pay a mortgage, buy food, or buy comics with registry points so you might as well ignore them and make sure you spend your hard earned cash on the books you'll love. 2c

I have paid $4600 for 281 points.

Hot SA and BA non-keys are the worst for return on points. Conversely, there are some great GA books that come cheaply but need to be high grade. I don't think I've ever made a 10:1 ratio before.

I have paid $4600 for 281 points.

Hot SA and BA non-keys are the worst for return on points. Conversely, there are some great GA books that come cheaply but need to be high grade. I don't think I've ever made a 10:1 ratio before.

My collection averages $2 per point.

Glad to see some interest in my little challenge... part of it is to get me better acquainted with some of the titles and collections that I don't currently have on my registry, part of it is just the academic exercise of it and to see if I have to willpower to walk away from good but not great deal...

And lord knows I'm not saying to buy for the sake of points, many of my purchases are out of love of a book regardless of what sort of points it adds to my collection. My mid-grade Planets are my favorite books, and are far from big point getters, though they consume most of my overall budget!

So I hope you all poke back in from time to time to see how I've fared...

and I'll second comicdonna and clouded9... Collect what you love, and you'll never regret a purchase (well until the monthly bills come around and the Water company wont let you pay your bill with that X-men #97 CGC 9.4)

And the game is underway

First purchase has been completed.

Uncanny X-men CGC 9.6

Xmen14396.jpg

Bought for: $31

Registry points: 400

% towards Goal: 40%

% budget spent: 31%

On Target: 9% ahead of target

Already realized one possible problem will be if I find myself with less than $20 in my budget, which will limit my buying options greatly. I may amend my challenge to the 10:1 ratio, with a target as close to $100 as possible, so if I spend $120, I'll need to amass 1200 points.

I have my eye on 5-6 other auctions that are still in ratio for my target... I'll let you know as they close how they turn out. Most of my targets are in the 9.4/9.6 range as I have found the top grade premium for 9.8s hurts my budget too much, and sub 9.4s start to see the steep point drop-off without the same cost drop-off.

The sheer sport of this is already immeasurably entertaining...

I don't think I've ever made a 10:1 ratio before.

Would you believe that it was a SA Marvel one-shot that did it for me and that it's not even a major key issue? It's a minor key at best as it features the first appearance in comics of a popular '60s TV cartoon character along with some Marvel superhero stories. I had no idea of the points it carried until I added it to my set, but I won't post the title here as I don't want to compromise the OPs challenge to himself ;) .

:gossip: Although, for anyone who is curious (not you miraclemet (tsk) ), I don't have a very large slabbed collection so it wouldn't be hard to figure out which book I'm referring to if you were to thumb through my sets in the registry.

A 9.6 universal sells for about $240-$285 and is worth 2625 points.

A 9.8 universal sells for about $400-$475 and is worth 4200 points.

Would you believe that it was a SA Marvel one-shot that did it for me and that it's not even a major key issue? It's a minor key at best as it features the first appearance in comics of a popular '60s TV cartoon character along with some Marvel superhero stories. I had no idea of the points it carried until I added it to my set, but I won't post the title here as I don't want to compromise the OPs challenge to himself ;) .

:gossip: Although, for anyone who is curious (not you miraclemet (tsk) ), I don't have a very large slabbed collection so it wouldn't be hard to figure out which book I'm referring to if you were to thumb through my sets in the registry.

hmmmm hm

time to start investigating!

After some scanning thru the collections listings for Silver age, Im gonna go check your registry now to see if its America's Best TV Comics (George of the Jungle Collection) ....

^^

Nice one to know.. though it it way past my $$ budget for this challenge. Maybe when I do $1000 for 10,000 points in 2013 :o

Well due to my trigger shyness I just missed out on a $50BIN for 480 point CGC comic lot. It was just short of my 10:1 ratio target, but Im a little ahead of that ratio at the moment after my first purchase.

I had hopes that it would make it to the endgame with no BIN takers and I could sweep in and get the lot at its opening bid price of $40, but alas...

My other weekend bids all ended up being outbid by varying degrees.

Missed three bronze age X-men (ending price was at a 5:1 points/$$ ratio)

Missed one other lower price bronze age X-men (ending price was 7.5:1 ratio)

Maybe better luck next week.... play on!

Might of just missed on a 10x book, but there were no points listed for it in the CGC registry!

Looks like Harvey Hits are only somewhat populated at this point for registry points.

There was a $40 reserve on a nice Harvey Hits #18 in 9.6.

The #16 in 9.6 was worth 630 points, while the $22 was only worth 360 points.

I was going to assume points were somewhere in between, but #18 has a lower overstreet value than #19, 20 or 21 for that matter. So I passed.

harvey18.jpg

Updated Score:

Two new purchases this afternoon via ebay auctions.

Ironically they were two individual auctions for the same issues I missed in that lot earlier. The lot sold for $50 in a BIN, I got the two books for $41 combined. Same seller, so I save on shipping too!

These two books have 480 registry points associated once I add them.

New totals:

Spend to date for: $31 + 41 = $72

Registry points: 400 + 480 = 880

% towards Goal: 88%

% budget spent: 72%

On Target: 16% ahead of target!

Maybe this isnt as hard as I thought... but after a few more books the 10x opportunities are looking thin. Lets see what else I can dig up on the registry,

Found a book on ebay that would have completed my challenge, but Im not ready to stop! Plus it was a BIN so it felt kinda like I didnt have to work for it!

Its was $24 to get 240 points... but it fell into a grey area of "comic book" or "not comic book" so I'm going to keep working at it!