• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My little challenge to me

60 posts in this topic

I too am looking for a copy of this book ...

There was a nice 9.6 copy that sold on ebay earlier this month for a reasonable $500 from TerrysComics.

There are always overpriced 8.5-9.2s available online, but this book is not offered very often at 9.4 and up. I believe there are only 2 9.8 copies and I don't see either one of those being available anytime soon and the last time one did move I believe it easily broke the $2k barrier (I really need to renew my GPA subscription).

I may know someone who might still have a 9.4 Universal they were contemplating selling this past February. hm Let me know if you are interested and I'll try to get a hold of him to see if he still has it.

I too am looking for a copy of this book ...

There was a nice 9.6 copy that sold on ebay earlier this month for a reasonable $500 from TerrysComics.

There are always overpriced 8.5-9.2s available online, but this book is not offered very often at 9.4 and up. I believe there are only 2 9.8 copies and I don't see either one of those being available anytime soon and the last time one did move I believe it easily broke the $2k barrier (I really need to renew my GPA subscription).

I may know someone who might still have a 9.4 Universal they were contemplating selling this past February. hm Let me know if you are interested and I'll try to get a hold of him to see if he still has it.

There are actually 3 9.8 copies on the census. The last 9.8 sold at auction on Heritage for 3K ( it has WP )

Willing to pay same price for a similar copy.

Appreciate the help though (thumbs u

tough book to find in HG :(

Weird considering its a spidey book. (shrug)

Well the book was a bit of an experiment when it first came out so it had a lower than average print run and ended up selling horribly which is why the series was scrapped after issue #2.

The first issue has a black and white interior and the second issue was given a full color interior at the same price to try and increase sales... it did not work and the idea was shelved.

Still can be found for a good price for those who are patient. Someday the price will reflect the scarcity of HG issues, IMHO.

tough book to find in HG :(

Weird considering its a spidey book. (shrug)

Well the book was a bit of an experiment when it first came out so it had a lower than average print run and ended up selling horribly which is why the series was scrapped after issue #2.

The first issue has a black and white interior and the second issue was given a full color interior at the same price to try and increase sales... it did not work and the idea was shelved.

Still can be found for a good price for those who are patient. Someday the price will reflect the scarcity of HG issues, IMHO.

Indeed. Thanks for the intel on the book.

There are quite a few 9.6 copies out there (with still more to be graded I'm sure; the third 9.8 was a recent grading)....I'm hoping a couple may be pressed into 9.8s :wishluck:

BTW, I knew I had seen your name somewhere....you're ranked #6 in the registry set from my sig. :applause:

I welcome all to partake in this particular set....It's bloody fun ( and challenging ) to build.

The OP recently joined the family :grin:

BTW, I knew I had seen your name somewhere....you're ranked #6 in the registry set from my sig. :applause:

I welcome all to partake in this particular set....It's bloody fun ( and challenging ) to build.

The OP recently joined the family :grin:

:acclaim: That's me! Hoping to move up to #5 soon. It truly is a fun set to try and put together and I do really like the diversity of genre's and characters that help to keep the set interesting.

You're set is amazing by the way (worship) . That Nick Fury 9.8 is incredible. I don't believe I have ever seen a copy of that book as well centered as yours (normally I only see 2c copies from ARVEL :D )... very nice. :applause:

BTW gentleman, as I upgraded to a 9.8, my Mighty Marvel Western undercopy will be sent to my friend Stewart ( www.getslabbed.com ) if anyone is interested... :grin:

@ Miraclemet

Price : point ratio is weak on this book though :(

124318.jpg.9589c77fceb4a2d4bc951b6173a5d18c.jpg

BTW gentleman, as I upgraded to a 9.8, my Mighty Marvel Western undercopy will be sent to my friend Stewart ( www.getslabbed.com ) if anyone is interested... :grin:

@ Miraclemet

hm

@ Miraclemet

hm

Tough book to find... 1 in 9.8, 4 in 9.6

On the upside, it's a cheap book lol

Nice sales pitch. lol

I'll check Stewart's site periodically for it and probably pick it up as I haven't seen a 9.4+ for sale for a while and I need to get one while I can I guess. (thumbs u

So long as the price is right. :baiting:

I feel like Chuck Wollery...

Love_Connection2.jpg

I think we've made a love connection today!

:D

Yeah your Mighty Marvel Western #1 is a pretty one... and to chime in I agree the Spectacular Spider-Man #1 is way undervalued compared to the census out there (and compared to its scarcity). I think the format (magazine size) keeps its value down since its not a true "comic book"

These days for my points challenge Im having a heck of a time finding any good points targets. X-Men books have heated up in the last 3-4 months and the books I bought at a 10:1 ratio last year are back down to the 5 or 6:1 ratio. So its about keeping an eye out for deals at this point. Im back in search mode trying to find more of those diamonds. Im just hitting the tip of the iceberg in the Harvey world where there are cheap 9.4 and 9.6s to be found out there with decent point returns... but again all it takes is one other buyer to drive the price up to the point where the point return is back to 5:1...

lol:signfunny:

I think the format (magazine size) keeps its value down since its not a true "comic book"
These are fighting words sir! :sumo:

BTW, since you are chasing the lady in white you may want to consider: Batman 236 or Tec 407 (Neal Adams Bat books :cloud9:)

I didn't see a Bat or Tec set in your registry... get some... they're good. :baiting:

5239291_1.jpg

5270341_1.jpg

The Challenge lives on!

I've been keeping any eye out for a cheap Daredevil #181 in CGC 9.6 since its 250 points and relative availability in the market (leading to some cheap prices since it only had a GPA of $40 for the last 12 mo) So I crossed my fingers for a sale here on the boards.

And hit!

Bought it here on the boards for $35 shipped (shipped for $16 based on the postage) but we'll call it an even $20 since I'm bad at math.

Wile its just OW/W, it is a very nice old label 9.6 that has the full Marvel label in the upper left corner, though it does cut off the "L" in Devil on the right edge. Does all that even fit on the page? I'd imagine a cover with the full L in Devil has to cut into the label on the left...

So the new tally:

Spend to date: $267 + 20 = $287

Registry points: 2755 + 250 = 3005

5 months into my 2012 challenge and I've tripled my target of 1000 points for $100, and have outpaced my 10:1 points to dollars ratio.

9m9NI.jpg

I have a new target but shhhhh its a secret!

Didnt get it (just couldnt get myself to pull the trigger) but some of these 9.4 & 9.6 Wheatie Premiums seem to go cheap (since they arent 'comic books') and have a good point ratio since they are both scarce and old (though that doesnt always guarentee points)

2rsRU.png

$13.99 got 150 points and a cute Little Red Wolf premium...

Only 6 in census so they arent frequently found and or slabbed...

A 9.8 went for good money ($120ish) but once you get to 9.6s and 9.4s the prices drop.

Something to keep on the radar maybe.

I like that this exercise is making me learn about things other than the books I normally collect. I appreciate the totality of the comics medium and enjoy seeing what space it has occupied thru its various incarnations whether it be traditional capes, cartoons, or food related premiums, its all an interesting journey to me and more entertaining than just trying to be the 28th guy to have a full run of Claremont X-men (though to each his own!)

Three sales on Sunday that I passed on...

Quick Draw McGraw #3 CGC NM+ 9.6 550 points, $69

Quick Draw McGraw #12 CGC NM+ 9.6 600 points, $54

MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. #10 CGC NM+ 9.6 450 points, $51

TXJBV.jpg

As you can see only 1 of the 3 exceeded the 10:1 ratio, but i thought it was interesting. Some high grade Gold Key books are still affordable (in some cases) but have a good point return (as always collect what you love, love what you collect). In all 1600 points for $175 (9.14:1 ratio)

Another doh!:facepalm:

Forgot to put a bid in and this puppy, which I also wanted to add to my Bronze #1s set went cheap and well pas the 10:1 ratio

Amazing Spider-Man vs. the Prodigy, #nn 9.8 190 points, $12

KLkPz.png

Added another Daredevil (#163) via here on the boards.

$30 for the book (plus shipping), 240 points. Not 10:1, but a non-shabby 8:1 ratio.

8mEd0.jpg

The Miller run has some nice point ROIs as long as you look for 9.4s and 9.6s of the not-quite-keys (that get some points bump, but arent the big ones).

DD158 first Miller (lots of points, lots of $$$)

DD159 second Miller, first Miller/Jansen combo

DD163 Hulk Appearance (points bump)

DD168 first Elektra (lots of points, lots of $$$)

DD169 non key, but worth 600 points (Bullseye cover, HTF)

DD181 Elektra death

The rest of the books are lower points 240-280 for a 9.8, still more points than same era Avengers, ASM or post #144 X-men commons.

Forgot to update my totals:

So the new tally:

Spend to date: $287+30 = $317

Registry points: 3005+240= 3,245

Plus there's a new update coming via ebay soon. Want to get the book in hand before posting it since the listing didnt have a full scan...

But I'll tease the numbers... spent less than $20, got 275 registry points... and its a title not currently in my registry!

Here's my latest addition...

A copy of Spirit Magazine (Warren) in a very nice 9.6 grade (though CR-OW) bought off ebay for $18 and some change. The book had been out there with a BIN of $40 for a while tempting me, at 275 points I thought I could talk the dealer down a bit (it was a constant relist week after week with no bites). But before I got around to pulling the trigger on making a non-ebay offer he moved it to auction with a $1 start and the game was on! The book got some bidding (4 different bidders) but in the end I prevailed and won the book for less than 1/2 of the dealers old BIN ammount.

aXn8E.jpg

The great thing about this series (IMHO) is the beautifuly painted color covers by Eisner. So many just have amazing composition, and make for great display in their CGC cases.

There are a few nice condition copies of these Spirit Magazine on ebay, but this was the only CGCed one for many many months... Its not a widely collected book (as far as the registry goes it only has 7 sets listed). There are 12 graded copies of this particular issue, with only 1 in 9.8, and only 2 in my grade of 9.6 so I can say I have the "second highest graded" copy of the book... In try to assess the book I also looked at the number of #1 copies that have been graded (if any copy might get the CGC treatment, it'd be the #1 issue, true?) and there we have 21 copies. It appears that the Warren era reprints have a better following that the slightly later Kitchen Sink reprints, but those show up in much smaller number on the census, and there is only one in the registry, and only one set listed.

This book straddles the comics/magazine hobby since its subject matter is comic (Will Eisner's The Spirit) who has had a great life in the comic book medium, but this production is in magazine format so it could appeal to the magazine collectors as well, though it doesnt fit into the various magazine sub-genres very well (mostly Sci-Fi or Horror, though it could have some appeal to the Crime/Pulp collector).

In my research I stumbed across this nugget:

In 1976, an oddity called "The Spirit Casebook of True Haunted Houses and Ghosts" was published.

which triggered a HUGE memory for me... I remembered reading something like this as a kid when I was into haunted house and ghost stories, especially they "true" ones!

YzwVF.jpg

I may have to go snag one of these just for the trip down memory lane.

So the new tally:

Spend to date: $317 + $18 = $335

Registry points: 3,245 + 275 = 3510 points

Points to Dollars Ratio: 10.5 to 1