• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars II
1 1

153 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, the first series I collected from beginning to end was Secret Wars II. I was so excited for the crossover because I enjoyed the first mini so much, and because I had finally figured a way to get to the comic shop every month and I could actually read books consecutively.

Even as a kid, I knew these books were...different. I thought they were fun, but not the normal fun you might expect from a super hero comic. I didn't mind the lack of heroic action because I thought the Beyonder's actions were pretty comical as he tries to figure out what it means to be human.

Anyway, I'm now working my way through the series and all of the crossovers (via the Omnibus), and I have to say, this is some seriously terrible stuff. The nostalgia factor is helping me get through the story, and sometimes, it's so bad it's funny, which almost makes it good, but for the most part, I'm surprised this made it into publication. What was Shooter thinking?

Of course, the poor story won't stop me from collecting the entire crossover in HG. You know, for nostalgia's sake.

Being nostalgic about Secret Wars II is like being nostalgic for dysentery.

lol.. so true. What a let down after SW1.

I'll never forget the scene in Peter Parkers apartment where the Beyonder has to pee, but doesn't know what that is. Yes, PP has to show him.. lol

Being nostalgic about Secret Wars II is like being nostalgic for dysentery.

:blahblah:

Loved SWII. Will never in a million years read it again, but loved it. :cloud9:

:sumo:

I will read it today and love it. You guys are old. :cloud9:

:applause:

TALK LOUDER THOUGH. FINGH IS REALLY OLD.

It's really fun though. At least that is the way I remember it. :cloud9:

It's not fun. I am not that old (except to Liam). SWII was putrid. Weird baby-like supreme being contemplates naval and turns building to gold. WTF??

ASM 268. Spidey took home a solid gold notebook. :cloud9:

In my memories, it was fun. I have hesitated buying the omnibus for fear of becoming cynical and jaded so I will remember it as being fun. :sumo: Although I never did read all of the crossovers. hm

Thankfully, Liam is not nearly as jaded and cynical so here's to hoping he loves it as well.

It's not fun. I am not that old (except to Liam). SWII was putrid. Weird baby-like supreme being contemplates naval and turns building to gold. WTF??

In my memories, it was fun. I have hesitated buying the omnibus for fear of becoming cynical and jaded so I will remember it as being fun. :sumo: Although I never did read all of the crossovers. hm

Thankfully, Liam is not nearly as jaded and cynical so here's to hoping he loves it as well.

Secret Wars II was coming out at the same time as some really interesting indy stuff, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, DKR. My mind was being blown. I was just hopeful that it would be a fun fluff piece, like the first one. Instead, it was tragic. Most of Marvel's production from that era was pedestrian (and I enjoyed it) but SWII is really bad.

Secret Wars II was coming out at the same time as some really interesting indy stuff, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, DKR. My mind was being blown. I was just hopeful that it would be a fun fluff piece, like the first one. Instead, it was tragic. Most of Marvel's production from that era was pedestrian (and I enjoyed it) but SWII is really bad.

I was full on into Marvel at that point as well. I was really getting into comics as a whole. I didn't enjoy readingWatchmen or DKR at that time because in my 14 year old mind, they were too serious and that wasn't what I was looking for in comics.

To me, at that time, SW II was fun. It was ridonkulous but still fun. Not 50's and 60's DC ridonkulous but still out there. At that point in my comic book journey, I was exposed to all these other characters that I had not read about and it was fantastic. I hadn't yet read the first SW and this led me back to them. It also led me to trying out other books that I would not have looked at.

So, for me personally, SW II was fun and led me to many other things in comics. I really am on the fence about buying the omnibus because it may very well be hysterically bad. Nostalgia may very well be covering up some bad writing and plotting but oh well, it's my nostalgia. :cloud9:

:foryou:

You're still old.

Yes, I am like 20 months older than you are; please pass the dentu-cream. :P

Yeppers. Starting my age with a "4" is creeping me out.

Keep a lookout in the What Do You Look Like Thread in CG in a few months for my new Corvette and 19 year old girlfriend.

:whee:

When I'm done, I'm sure I'd be willing to sell my SWII Ominbus.

But so far, it's worth the money spent. It's pretty poor, at least the main story, but I have pleasant memories and some of the crossover books aren't bad.

It's funny to look back and wonder what I was doing reading this and, say, New Universe, when there were so many other good books to be read. But I was 14, and as Park said, I think the other books would've been too dark and serious. Hell, I doubt I would've made it past issue one of Watchmen.