• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars II
1 1

153 posts in this topic

I knew it was over when I read that Al Milgrom was going to have a substantial role in the creation of this miniseries. Such disappointment. For whatever strengths he possessed, this time for him at Marvel was not one of artistic excellence. Disappointed because the fact someone like Art Adams or John Byrne or even Bob Layton wasn't doing the art, I had absolute assurance nobody cared, it was a money grab, and it was going to suck.

Pretty spot on, if I must say so.

One wonders how much of it was painful for all concerned to write, draw, letter, color and edit. Shooter must have been drunk a lot

When I'm done, I'm sure I'd be willing to sell my SWII Ominbus.

But so far, it's worth the money spent. It's pretty poor, at least the main story, but I have pleasant memories and some of the crossover books aren't bad.

It's funny to look back and wonder what I was doing reading this and, say, New Universe, when there were so many other good books to be read. But I was 14, and as Park said, I think the other books would've been too dark and serious. Hell, I doubt I would've made it past issue one of Watchmen.

I so wanted to like the New Universe books. I thought it was a great idea that those of us that weren't around in the 60's for all the new Marvel books could jump into all these completely new characters from the word go. So excited.

I think I made it to about issue five with most of the books. It was so bad. And this is coming from the dork that had a yearlong woody for SWII. doh! Still bitter that those books were so terrible.

I knew it was over when I read that Al Milgrom was going to have a substantial role in the creation of this miniseries. Such disappointment. For whatever strengths he possessed, this time for him at Marvel was not one of artistic excellence. Disappointed because the fact someone like Art Adams or John Byrne or even Bob Layton wasn't doing the art, I had absolute assurance nobody cared, it was a money grab, and it was going to suck.

Pretty spot on, if I must say so.

One wonders how much of it was painful for all concerned to write, draw, letter, color and edit. Shooter must have been drunk a lot

My nostalgic remembrances say that you are a poopy head. :sumo:

:whee:

But it was bad!!!! lol

:slapfight:

:cry:

As a younger guy I did have fun reading it. The reason I really look back at it fondly is that it exposed me to all the cross-over titles I'd never read before. Secret Wars II got me hooked on X-Men, New Mutants, Captain America and more!

But it was bad!!!! lol

:slapfight:

As a younger guy I did have fun reading it. The reason I really look back at it fondly is that it exposed me to all the cross-over titles I'd never read before. Secret Wars II got me hooked on X-Men, New Mutants, Captain America and more!

It did the same for me as well. That is why I remember it as being so much fun. :)

I am remembering some really stupid stuff right now like The Beyonder dating Dazzler? That is full on ridonkulous but for purposes of proving Fingh a hater, I shall refer to it as the Romeo and Juliet of 1985.

Secret Wars II makes all the deities, across all the pantheons, throughout all the sentient life-bearing galaxies in the universe, cry.

So what you are really saying is that The Beyonder can make anyone his biatch?

I knew you would come around to seeing it my way.

A baby seal is clubbed to death every time someone fondly reminisces about SW II

RMA is equivalent to clubbing baby seals.

You like RMA.

Clubbing baby seals is equivalent to :cloud9:

Another convert. :whee:

Secret Wars II makes all the deities, across all the pantheons, throughout all the sentient life-bearing galaxies in the universe, cry.

My heart is with Park, but my cynical mind is surely with this sentiment. :roflmao:

The best thing about SW2 was the cover to the first issue. The worst thing about SW2 was Shooter's insistence that it be shoehorned into several titles...damn whatever was going on in those books at the time. Bleh.

I grabbed the mini-series to read tonight. I'm in need of a good cry.

The best thing about SW2 was the cover to the first issue. The worst thing about SW2 was Shooter's insistence that it be shoehorned into several titles...damn whatever was going on in those books at the time. Bleh.

It was brilliant. Brilliant I say.

It did lead me to read some of the other crossover titles that I hadn't read before and I started picking up some of those books.