• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars II
1 1

153 posts in this topic

I will also (shamefully) admit that I enjoyed SW2, BUT it was the very first thing I read in comics ever. Yes, and I still continued to buy and read after that.

All time favorite line from that series is when the Beyonder first reveals himself to Peter Parker after reading his thoughts and asks him "Is hallucinating why there is eating?"

A buddy of mine and myself shared that line for many years after as a private joke between us.

The series did lead me to Secret Wars 1 which was absolutely awesome. It was the reason why I thought and still think to this day that Dr. Doom is the most awesome villain ever.

When everyone else was thinking about winning the Beyonder's prize, Doom was thinking about how to steal the Beyonder's power.

Doom rules!

I will also (shamefully) admit that I enjoyed SW2, BUT it was the very first thing I read in comics ever. Yes, and I still continued to buy and read after that.

All time favorite line from that series is when the Beyonder first reveals himself to Peter Parker after reading his thoughts and asks him "Is hallucinating why there is eating?"

A buddy of mine and myself shared that line for many years after as a private joke between us.

The series did lead me to Secret Wars 1 which was absolutely awesome. It was the reason why I thought and still think to this day that Dr. Doom is the most awesome villain ever.

When everyone else was thinking about winning the Beyonder's prize, Doom was thinking about how to steal the Beyonder's power.

Doom rules!

No shame at all brother. This thread has been cathartic for many a soul.

There are still a few who still fight it but they shall be set free.

Secret Wars II is the gateway drug to awesomeness.

:whee:

But not as sweet as Otto's Irresistible Dance

I loves me some obscure 30 year old Dungeons & Dragons references. :cloud9:

I know you pictured that Umber Hulk kicking up his heels as well.

Erol Otus? I don't want to google it, dammit

I think that Jeffro's hatred is a vegetarian, and thus, his hatred can't consume him. Unless Jeffro is tofu.

That may explain why he is so confused in regards to Secret Wars II. hm

I'm tempted to go out and buy 9.8 slabbed copies of each issue, crack them out, press them to 9.9s, get them SS'ed by Al Milgrom, Jim Shooter, and Steve Leialoha, fly to Hawaii, climb to the top of Kilauea and not just drop each slab in, but throw them in as hard as I could.

How do you like THEM apples?

:banana:

But not as sweet as Otto's Irresistible Dance

I loves me some obscure 30 year old Dungeons & Dragons references. :cloud9:

I know you pictured that Umber Hulk kicking up his heels as well.

Erol Otus? I don't want to google it, dammit

But yet you did.

I think that Jeffro's hatred is a vegetarian, and thus, his hatred can't consume him. Unless Jeffro is tofu.

I'm tempted to go out and buy 9.8 slabbed copies of each issue, crack them out, press them to 9.9s, get them SS'ed by Al Milgrom, Jim Shooter, and Steve Leialoha, fly to Hawaii, climb to the top of Kilauea and not just drop each slab in, but throw them in as hard as I could.

Those apples are bitter.

So close to being free...

I shall read some offerings from Issue 1 for you later.

:whee:

If it works for Frodo, it'll work for you.

Is the Beyonder still out there somewhere? If not, I wonder when they'll introduce him again. I mean, with today's writers, I bet they could actually do something good with him. Like date Dazzler.

Now we're talkin'. :banana:

err... I guess I'm all kinds of confused... there was something about a Cosmic Cube a long time ago, but now apparently he was an Inhuman mutant (maybe)

In New Avengers: The Illuminati #3, featuring a retcon of past events, Charles Xavier reveals that in the original Secret War, he had initially planned to use his powers to make everyone fall asleep and thus buy him and Reed Richards time to formulate an escape plan, but feared the Beyonder's wrath. However, he immediately sensed a strange mental presence and attempted to mind-scan the Beyonder, revealing him as one of the Inhumans previously ruled over by fellow Illuminati member Black Bolt. Xavier also deduced the apparent secret behind the Beyonder's seemingly godlike abilities, which was that the Beyonder was not only an Inhuman but also a mutant, like Xavier and his own team of X-Men, and the exposure of his mutant genes to Terrigen Mists had created an unprecedented reaction, bestowing upon him more amazing power and knowledge than all other Inhumans of his time

So he's an Inhuman mutant. Interesting.

One of the things that ruined the Beyonder story is the fact that he was all powerful. There's no drama with a character who is all powerful and can do anything he wants.

From reading that wiki article that seems to be what later writers were trying to "fix."

Omnipotence is always difficult to work into a story... there always has to be some kind of flaw. I thought they did it well with Thanos in IG... I suppose they tried with the Beyonder by making him just not understand what life was / meant...

Kind of the same problem with the Molecule Man... did he die in the first Dark Avengers series b/c he wanted to be left alone and created a fake town or something?

err... I guess I'm all kinds of confused... there was something about a Cosmic Cube a long time ago, but now apparently he was an Inhuman mutant (maybe)

In New Avengers: The Illuminati #3, featuring a retcon of past events, Charles Xavier reveals that in the original Secret War, he had initially planned to use his powers to make everyone fall asleep and thus buy him and Reed Richards time to formulate an escape plan, but feared the Beyonder's wrath. However, he immediately sensed a strange mental presence and attempted to mind-scan the Beyonder, revealing him as one of the Inhumans previously ruled over by fellow Illuminati member Black Bolt. Xavier also deduced the apparent secret behind the Beyonder's seemingly godlike abilities, which was that the Beyonder was not only an Inhuman but also a mutant, like Xavier and his own team of X-Men, and the exposure of his mutant genes to Terrigen Mists had created an unprecedented reaction, bestowing upon him more amazing power and knowledge than all other Inhumans of his time

Hey, hey, hey...Spoilers!!!

I haven't finished the Omnibus yet. :ohnoez:

Hey, hey, hey...Spoilers!!!

I haven't finished the Omnibus yet. :ohnoez:

That's what the Beyonder wants you to believe. He snapped his fingers, and WHAM!, just like that, you forgot that you've read the series 138 times already.

So he's an Inhuman mutant. Interesting.

One of the things that ruined the Beyonder story is the fact that he was all powerful. There's no drama with a character who is all powerful and can do anything he wants.

From reading that wiki article that seems to be what later writers were trying to "fix."

Omnipotence is always difficult to work into a story... there always has to be some kind of flaw. I thought they did it well with Thanos in IG... I suppose they tried with the Beyonder by making him just not understand what life was / meant...

Kind of the same problem with the Molecule Man... did he die in the first Dark Avengers series b/c he wanted to be left alone and created a fake town or something?

I thought they did okay with Thanos in IG, not great. I'd have to go re-read it, but there was something off putting even with that series. Maybe it's as simple as him being just a tad too powerful. Or maybe it had something to do with an ending that was too easy. Something...can't quite remember what I didn't like about it.

It was his stupid decision to leave the glove on and go all cosmic like. Then Nebula takes it? Boring.

I think Thanos should have watched Weird Science. Then he would have realized that he could use his godlike powers to physically alter mistress Death's physical attributes if you know what I mean... :devil:

It was his stupid decision to leave the glove on and go all cosmic like. Then Nebula takes it? Boring.

I think Thanos should have watched Weird Science. Then he would have realized that he could use his godlike powers to physically alter mistress Death's physical attributes if you know what I mean... :devil:

No, I don't know what you mean. Please, tell us what you're suggesting.

:baiting: