• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars II
1 1

153 posts in this topic

So he's an Inhuman mutant. Interesting.

One of the things that ruined the Beyonder story is the fact that he was all powerful. There's no drama with a character who is all powerful and can do anything he wants.

From reading that wiki article that seems to be what later writers were trying to "fix."

Omnipotence is always difficult to work into a story... there always has to be some kind of flaw. I thought they did it well with Thanos in IG... I suppose they tried with the Beyonder by making him just not understand what life was / meant...

Kind of the same problem with the Molecule Man... did he die in the first Dark Avengers series b/c he wanted to be left alone and created a fake town or something?

I thought they did okay with Thanos in IG, not great. I'd have to go re-read it, but there was something off putting even with that series. Maybe it's as simple as him being just a tad too powerful. Or maybe it had something to do with an ending that was too easy. Something...can't quite remember what I didn't like about it.

It must have just been the sequels that have got you all confused. :)

I was definitely aware enough back then to think it made no sense for a being who controlled everything to be beaten (or even fought) by a bunch of nobodys. The Silver Surfer / Adam Warlock gambit was pretty cool... I liked when that failed, but I liked it even more how Mephisto was the one who sowed the seeds of Thanos's downfall. I guess I do have to admit that having Nebula grab the Gauntlet was a bit of a letdown tho...

[/ :signofftopic: ]

It was his stupid decision to leave the glove on and go all cosmic like. Then Nebula takes it? Boring.

I think Thanos should have watched Weird Science. Then he would have realized that he could use his godlike powers to physically alter mistress Death's physical attributes if you know what I mean... :devil:

No, I don't know what you mean. Please, tell us what you're suggesting.

:baiting:

Remember this scene?

If Gary and Wyatt could do it with a computer from 1985, then surely Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet could do it!

350x263px-LL-f78ab8dd_weird-science_l.jpeg

It was his stupid decision to leave the glove on and go all cosmic like. Then Nebula takes it? Boring.

I think Thanos should have watched Weird Science. Then he would have realized that he could use his godlike powers to physically alter mistress Death's physical attributes if you know what I mean... :devil:

Remember this scene?

If Gary and Wyatt could do it with a computer from 1985, then surely Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet could do it!

350x263px-LL-f78ab8dd_weird-science_l.jpeg

lol

I totally forgot Tony Stark was in that movie.

Remember this scene?

thanos.jpg

lol

I totally forgot Tony Stark was in that movie.

I couldn't resist!

err... I guess I'm all kinds of confused... there was something about a Cosmic Cube a long time ago, but now apparently he was an Inhuman mutant (maybe)

In New Avengers: The Illuminati #3, featuring a retcon of past events, Charles Xavier reveals that in the original Secret War, he had initially planned to use his powers to make everyone fall asleep and thus buy him and Reed Richards time to formulate an escape plan, but feared the Beyonder's wrath. However, he immediately sensed a strange mental presence and attempted to mind-scan the Beyonder, revealing him as one of the Inhumans previously ruled over by fellow Illuminati member Black Bolt. Xavier also deduced the apparent secret behind the Beyonder's seemingly godlike abilities, which was that the Beyonder was not only an Inhuman but also a mutant, like Xavier and his own team of X-Men, and the exposure of his mutant genes to Terrigen Mists had created an unprecedented reaction, bestowing upon him more amazing power and knowledge than all other Inhumans of his time

Hey, hey, hey...Spoilers!!!

I haven't finished the Omnibus yet. :ohnoez:

That's what the Beyonder wants you to believe. He snapped his fingers, and WHAM!, just like that, you forgot that you've read the series 138 times already.

I heart The Beyonder.

So he's an Inhuman mutant. Interesting.

One of the things that ruined the Beyonder story is the fact that he was all powerful. There's no drama with a character who is all powerful and can do anything he wants.

I agree about the Beyonder. Blame Shooter for that. he didn't have the sense to stop after SW I.

The Molecule Man is, in effect, all powerful. However, he always had issues that kept him from utilizing fully his powers. That made the character more interesting.

Just found this...

Apparently, Steve Englehart wanted to tie in the Beyonder to older characters known as the Beyonders (first mentioned in the team-up comic Marvel Two-in-One #63, beings powerful enough to collect planets) for his "Secret Wars III' story in Fantastic Four #318-319. According to Englehart, an editor hated the character and ordered the Beyonder "removed" from the Marvel Universe. Englehart did as asked but has stated that he tried to exile the character with dignity. The character was subjected to a retcon making him less potent than originally determined, and explanations of his omnipotence have been written off as the more powerful beings "playing along" to ease the Beyonder's transition into self-awareness. It was explained in Secret Wars III that the Beyonder was in fact a Cosmic Cube. During the first Secret War, the Beyonder claimed to be the embodiment of an entire universe. As he became self-aware, he recognized himself as the only person in his universe. Secret Wars III revealed that the Beyonder is in fact a wayward Cosmic Cube, at one time inhabiting his own "dimension" because there was no matrix to hold his energy. The Beyonder took his name from the powerful Beyonders who were manipulating his destiny.

I am going to read this omnibus again. :cloud9:

It is still awesome regardless of all the hater references to carp and buttcracks and other horrible things.

It is still awesome regardless of all the hater references to carp and buttcracks and other horrible things.

:sick:

lol

hm

:facepalm: Friends, don't let friends read Secret Wars II

:facepalm: Friends, don't let friends read Secret Wars II

I have no friends. Ha! :sumo:

hm

:cry:

:whee:

You know, every time I see a Secret Wars II cover, I think, "You know, maybe these aren't as bad as I remember." But when I open the book and try to read one, I'm like, "Yeah, they still suck."

:ohnoez:

Mephisto has gotten to you.

Mephisto would lock you in a room and make you read Secret Wars II for rest of eternity.

Uh, that's kinda like the devil forcing Homer to eat donuts.

tumblr_l8o2gvBOpa1qbd84ho1_500.gif

lol

That's perfect.

Yummmm. Donuts.