• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

former 8.5 cgc Avengers 4 now 9.6 pgx

116 posts in this topic

We all wondered how long it would take.This book was bought by the super scammer Ryan Elliott at the portland show a couple months ago.

The ebay seller is the latest in the long line of shill accounts.djbrady4u.Run dont walk away from this auction.

Yup, currently 3900.00 with 35 bids...all private bidding :eyeroll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVENGERS-4-PGX-9-4-WP-1st-SILVER-AGE-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-HIGHEST-GRADED-COPY-/150733085314?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2318645a82

We all wondered how long it would take.This book was bought by the super scammer Ryan Elliott at the portland show a couple months ago.

The ebay seller is the latest in the long line of shill accounts.djbrady4u.Run dont walk away from this auction.

Not sure what the issue is here since I am not aware of the individuals which you are talking about. (shrug)

Thic could either be a simple resub because the book was initially undergraded by CGC or the book could simply have been pressed to this higher grade. Strongly doubt that this will amount to anywhere close to the $100K increase in value for the Actgion #5 which was initially graded by CGC at 8.5 and then subsequently regraded by them at 9.4 a few months later.

Since nobody seems to be really concerned about the CGC regrade for the Action #5, I don't really understand why you would be so concerned just because PGX is involved with the upgrade for the Avengers #4. A better approach to your argument would be to provide side by side scans of the 2 graded copies, as opposed to simply basing your conclusions on the personalities involved. hm

Not sure what the issue is here since I am not aware of the individuals which you are talking about. (shrug)

Thic could either be a simple resub because the book was initially undergraded by CGC or the book could simply have been pressed to this higher grade. Strongly doubt that this will amount to anywhere close to the $100K increase in value for the Actgion #5 which was initially graded by CGC at 8.5 and then subsequently regraded by them at 9.4 a few months later.

Since nobody seems to be really concerned about the CGC regrade for the Action #5, I don't really understand why you would be so concerned just because PGX is involved with the upgrade for the Avengers #4. A better approach to your argument would be to provide side by side scans of the 2 graded copies, as opposed to simply basing your conclusions on the personalities involved. hm

CGC is not going to give a 9.6 to a book with this nasty of a dust shadow :makepoint:

I would expect a 100% legit seller to get the listing correct. I know mistakes happen, but starting with the title (which claims the book is a 9.4), you have this beauty of a sentence...

Up for sale is AVENGERS 4 PGX 9.4 White Pages! 1st SILVER AGE CAPTAIN AMERICA, HIGHEST GRADED COPY!! (one of only 12 graded!!CGC/PGX)!! . It is professionally graded by PGX as a NM/MINT 9.6 white pages.

Check out youtube, there's a video from a guy who subbed a TMNT #1 1st print to PGX. He got it back and cracked it out to sub it to CGC to get a comparative grade only to discover they (PGX) had switched out his 1st print woth a 3rd print.

Check out youtube, there's a video from a guy who subbed a TMNT #1 1st print to PGX. He got it back and cracked it out to sub it to CGC to get a comparative grade only to discover they (PGX) had switched out his 1st print woth a 3rd print.

:o

:o

I'd take that with a grain of salt.

PGX was the best thing that ever happen to CGC. ;)

lol

"A better approach to your argument?" If people kept calmer heads and approached arguments like this, we wouldn't even have the internet.

I thought I read something a while back about the name being a grader for PGX, but also having access to the slabbing equipment, and purposefully overgrading books to make a profit..

or am I thinking of somebody else

That's correct...it's Ryan Elliot. (thumbs u

But if you did, we wouldn't have this...

Yep. Pretty much a dirtbag move.

Step 1: Buy accurately graded CGC slabbed book

Step 2: Crack open, resub and grade *yourself* with a 30% better grade

Step 3: Profit!

But if you did, we wouldn't have this...

And that, my friend - is comedy gold.

I have to say the book looks better than 8.5 in the picture. I have seen CGC go 9.4 on similar books. A few months back somebody on the boards bought an old label TOS 65 that looked real sharp, resubbed it and it came back 2-3 grades higher. I forget the exact thread, but I know I read it, and I think it was a straight resub.

Anybody have a picture of this book when it was a CGC 8.5?

Yes I know graders shouldn't be buying and selling books, that is wrong. And this guy is known scammer. The owner of PGX must know this goes on, makes the whole outfit crooked.

I have to say the book looks better than 8.5 in the picture. I have seen CGC go 9.4 on similar books. A few months back somebody on the boards bought an old label TOS 65 that looked real sharp, resubbed it and it came back 2-3 grades higher. I forget the exact thread, but I know I read it, and I think it was a straight resub.

Yes I know graders shouldn't be buying and selling books, that is wrong. And this guy is known scammer. The owner of PGX must know this goes on, makes the whole outfit crooked.

If the back cover scan in the ebay listing hadn't been intentionally messed with to hide the heavy dust shadow, it would be a lot easier to see why CGC gave this book an 8.5 :thumbsup:

If the back cover scan in the ebay listing hadn't been intentionally messed with to hide the heavy dust shadow, it would be a lot easier to see why CGC gave this book an 8.5 :thumbsup:

Yeah, I saw that it was pretty blown out.