• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Collection

29 posts in this topic

This is the first collection I have ever purchased.

I will provide pictures each day of the various key books out of each box.

I bought an entire collection.

Here it is on the flat cart.

This will be the story of me going through the boxes and finding out if it was worth it...

10321.jpg

Day 2

Wolverine

(the #35 features the common production error that all others suffer from)

6687521227_02586fbe4e_z.jpg

(the #131 features the word...you know...)

6687523371_499f8d8e33_z.jpg

(then there is this guy - #102.5 - I had to google the issue number because I couldn't find it on eBay or comicpriceguide.com)

Better view here -

PGM: Wolverine #102.5

6687525723_cd5dd3a81b.jpg

Sorry for the long stretch with nothing to share.

Since I first began writing this thread a major change happened in my life, my wife moved out / away and I didn't really feel like doing anything.

I didn't talk to my family for the first week. It felt embarassing and awkward.

I didn't tell anyone at work. It feels evens more embarassing and awkward. I still have not told some people. Had it not been completely unavoidable I would have rather not gone in until I had time to process the change, except that the week before it happened my boss got fired and all the responsibility for the team fell on my shoulders.

Since then, I have buried myself in the work. This week is the first time I have had 2 days off since one month ago. Tonight I am having dinner with my in-laws. We will see how that goes.

The reason I started this thread back up is because today I had some friends over and we started digging through the remaining boxes. It was fun. The type of fun I didn't think I would have, even as late as last week.

So, while I know what is in each box now, I will be continuing this thread later in the week. Probably Sunday.

*Reason for edit.

Pictures of the new comic room -

6848165407_1d754404b2_z.jpg

6848525777_e544e17434_z.jpg

Since I first began writing this thread a major change happened in my life, my wife moved out / away and I didn't really feel like doing anything.

I didn't tell anyone at work. It feels evens more embarassing and awkward. I still have not told some people. Had it not been completely unavoidable I would have rather not gone in until I had time to process the change, except that the week before it happened my boss got fired and all the responsibility for the team fell on my shoulders.

Since then, I have buried myself in the work. This week is the first time I have had 2 days off since one month ago. Tonight I am having dinner with my in-laws. We will see how that goes.

The reason I started this thread back up is because today I had some friends over and we started digging through the remaining boxes. It was fun. The type of fun I didn't think I would have, even as late as last week.

So, while I know what is in each box now, I will be continuing this thread later in the week. Probably Sunday.

*Reason for edit.

Seal. Good brand (thumbs u

*Reason for edit.

Look me up if you ever make it to Ohio during the first week of December and we'll get you a real set of antlers for that wall :baiting::foryou:

:gossip: Nothing to feel awkward about, share with those close to you…you deserve the support (thumbs u

So...it is time to start digging through this boxes.

Today's box featured various Spider-Man and Daredevil books.

No high value books.

The next wave of eBay listings:

6774260622_3c7f0844f5_z.jpg

6774261852_b173975dc9_z.jpg

Hopefully the next box turns out better.

My life in general:

Things have gotten slightly better. I still get sad off and on. I find myself not listening to music that often because I don't want to trigger any emotions. Valentine's Day was a lot tougher than I expected it to be. One day at a time.

An update...

I had let the collection linger and fall to the wayside until last week.

(work, moderns, cons, etc...)

On Sunday, I had two friends over and we started really working on the collection.

I now have the following boxes:

'to keep' (books that I want / foresee an increase in value over time)

'to eBay' (books that have recently sold for $1 or more)

'to mycomcshop' (books that have not sold for $1 or less on eBay)

'free' (no completed eBay sales and mycomicshop doesn't want them)

Starting to get the books ready for this Sunday's eBay auction.

X-Factor!

As far as everything else. I am okay. I have noticed a significant drop in wanting to do anything. I spend most of my free time on these boards or eBay. Even when I know I can do other things to make my life better. It may be because I want to avoid thinking about anything but when it hits me that I am spending my time filling my time it makes me upset. Then I think that I may have depression but it isn't a lethargic thing. It is a I don't want to deal with it thing.

Not truly 'The Collection' related (except one book)...

I just wanted a place to make a pic heavy post that I could direct boardees to if they wanted to see the build...

Part 1: The New Rack

So, work was going to throw this rack out.

It had a few issues, namely it contained too many racks for what I envisioned for its future purpose:

7122863463_3c346a9b59.jpg7122862289_6704384e9e.jpg6976783452_f10e60b27f.jpg

So, I used bolt cutters to cut out every other one:

7122865689_0e86e4b05a.jpg6976785392_e2f104cf41.jpg

As you can see, the bolt cutters left arrow shaped (blood thirsty) pieces.

Time to bring out the metal sander:

7122868943_2cfafef0d5_n.jpg6976786636_ca8b750354_n.jpg6976789008_47bec74b8e_n.jpg

Next was a new paint job to cover up the newly exposed metal / cover up the scrapes it incured while at work:

7122871485_576cacee46_n.jpg6976791262_f0347be456_n.jpg

Part 2: The FedEx Situation

So, CGC shipped my Emerald City books on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, I had a door tag waiting for me from FedEx.

Knowing I was working until Monday I had my books rerouted to the nearest FedEx Office so I could pick them up after work on Thursday.

(I can't trust my work's receiving area as they lost my friend's shipment from Midtown Comics and also misplaced a box from CGC that contained my Detective Comics #69.)

I never received the call on Thursday that my books had been left at KO.

It didn't matter as I was exhausted by the end of the day and didn't feel like going anyway.

On Friday, I still hadn't received a call so I decided to check on my package.

According to the tracking information there had been no movement on the package since my request to change the address.

At 1:32p, I decided to call the 1-800 number and see if they could help me.

The young lady tried to help me by calling the station. She left a message on my behalf and that was it.

I waited two hours (3:30p) and didn't hear back from them, so I called FedEx again.

I explained what had happened earlier. The person on the phone tried to contact the office again. She explained to me that she had gotten to someone, but that they had told her to call back later.

She asked if I wanted to call. I let her know that I knew it wasn't her fault, but that I would prefer if FedEx helped me. She tried again and got the same girl that hung up on her.

That made the difference.

My service rep was now upset as well. She explained to me that we would be escalating the call to a superior in Atlanta. After some time on hold I was connected to a gentleman to assist me in finding my package. He explained that he would be handling my case directly. I gave him my information and he let me know that I would be kept in the loop at each step. I hung up.

About 10 minutes later, he returned my call to let me know that the driver had been contacted and that he would be calling me shortly.

At 4:30p I recieved a call from the gentleman letting me know that the driver had explained that he had brought the box back to the distribution center.

At 4:35p I received a call from the distribution center repeating this, but also asking what size the shipment was, contents, etc...

At 5:10p I received a call from the gentleman stating that the center could not find my package and that he recommended opening a claim to get my money. At this point, I felt lightheaded...I didn't know which books were in the box...I let the gentleman know that I had to contact CGC and see what was in the box...

5:15p I placed a frantic call to CGC and Eric answered. He listened as I babbled and talking through this mess. He immediately sent me a pdf of the box contents / grades / total value for the shipment.

5:30p I called the FedEx gentleman back and we began the process of handling my claim. Value was declared. I asked if the books would be continued to be searched for. He said that if I wanted the search to continue we had to suspend the claim. I let him know that I would rather have the comics then the money.

He let me know that I could have a lost prevention investigator assigned if I wanted. I chose to do this. I gave him a breakdown of what was included in the box...

From then on I couldn't eat / think straight...I messaged my friends (both here and locally) and tried to explain what was going on...I just watched TV and tried not to think about it...

8:10p My phone rings and it is a FedEx representative letting me know that I was about to placed on the phone with the facility manager.

They wanted to let me know that my box had been found and asked if I wanted to talk to her.

Of course I did.

The facility manager apologized for the situation. She explained what had happened and assured me it would never happen again.

What happened? My box was hidden on a truck. Yep.

I didn't ask follow up questions because it wasn't my place to do so. I just expressed my concerns over the situation / the lack of customer service I received and the service representative received as well.

She did try to make small talk about comics, but I honestly wasn't really listening.

I then made her promise that the books would delivered to FO on Saturday, so I could pick them up after work.

She did and they were delivered there at 1:33p today.

Part 3: The Books

6976798904_b2416a7a00_m.jpg6976797632_b178aa5914_m.jpg6976795314_24523a1818_m.jpg

6976793428_97448eab22_n.jpg7122875675_3bbb9a1096_n.jpg

Part 4: The New Rack + The Books

Image removed as some books have been sold.

Look for a new update soon.