• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEROES 2012!

1,155 posts in this topic

Mac's :cloud9:

http://www.macspeedshop.com/

Best brisket around (thumbs u

USED to be :(

For my money, VBGB is the best place to be in Charlotte these days... even though they do import their BBQ sauce from Dinosaur BBQ in NY. :)

http://vbgbuptown.com/

The interior bar gets quite lively at times, while the patio remains a bit more laid back. There are several areas inside where you can sit with friends or family and still be away from the volume of the bar. Of course, if the bar is your natural spot, its a huge U-shaped bar with lots of seating and 74′ of Frost Rails going around the edge to sit your beer/drink on to keep it cold.

There’s also ping pong, darts and cornhole (5 sets) for good-ole, natural fun.

Grab your beer, wine or drink (full bar) at the interior bar or stroll up to the outside windows for the same service, then find your seat on the 6,500 sq ft patio or at one of the interior tables…. and let the atmosphere just sink in. Its an awesome people watching place.

Can anyone speak to the atmosphere of the Melting Pot in Charlotte? The 22nd is my wife's birthday and our favorite restaurant is the Melting Pot in Myrtle Beach. We have yet to find another Melting Pot with the same atmosphere. She's really looking forward to going to the one in Charlotte and I don't want her disappointed.

Does HEROES have live bands at night ? I mean...what is there to do at night?

I'm still recommending VBGB in the NC Music Factory... if you like beer...

live bands on Friday nights; DJ on Saturday. If the weather's nice, it's easily walkable from uptown. The music factory is a little over two miles from the convention center. I work next to the Con and ride my bike home past the music factory every day. Very easy. :)

If you're looking for live music, uptown sucks pretty hard. There are lots of places nearby, however... all of which are close enough that, when I go, I ride my bike... so I can't imagine a cab ride is more than $20 with tip.

The closest venue is Amos' Southend, which is much more likely to have a cover band than anything else. It's a big venue but rarely has shows that I want to see. (Although the Beastie Boys played here a few years ago as did Ed Kowalczyk) Slightly over-priced, but not terrible... but the beer selection is lacking. If you get bored at Amos' you can go next door to the Gin Mill for jockey kinds of fun, Dharma for loud house music or Common Market South for a good beer and a nice patio. There is often music on the patio, but it's also often pretty crowded.

A little further away is Tremont Music Hall. Bigger name bands play here, but there's no telling what you'll get. I've seen KMFDM, Ministry, The Helio Sequence, Foxy Shazam, Ted Leo, Jump Little Children, a whole bunch of local bands, and a lot of other random stuff here. It gets really hot in here, and the venue is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but I usually have a good time.

The Plaza Midwood area has Snug Harbor, which is just a few 100 people... I don't think I've ever seen a real "national" act here, but it's almost always a good time... the beer selection is pretty good (and priced fairly), and their whiskey/bourbon selection is shockingly good for a club. Door prices are usually low, and it's in a great area of town. This is right next to 22, which hosted the comic art show last year (including some Ditko pieces... I think they came from Sheldon?)... Common Market is across the street... this place often has music as well, but you never know. It's a total hipster hangout, but they also have a really good beer selection. Slightly over priced, but not bad... it's usually worth it for the atmosphere. Especially if you're a smoker. (maybe 3/4 miles from uptown)

NoDa is the more artsy district (not far from the Plaza Midwood area)... The Evening Muse and The Neighborhood Theater are right across the street from each other. I typically avoid both of these places if I can... If a band is playing at the Muse it's a good bet it's acoustic, whiny, and/or contains some stupid instrument like a washboard just b/c it seems cool. A lot of people I know like this place tho... it's super chill, but just totally not for me. Same for Neighborhood. The Muse is (very) small, and Neighborhood is mostly just a bigger venue for the same stuff. (still owned by the same people, I think) Neil Gaiman did a reading once at the Neighborhood... I've seen Adrian Belew here... I think that was the best show I've seen at this place, but it was seated, and I kind of hated it. The NoDa area, however, is pretty awesome. Solstice Tavern can be a lot of fun... great patio, but the whole place can get crowded and douchey on the weekends. Jack Beagle's is small, but usually has 6 great beers on tap. The pizza place, Revolution, has one of the long tap walls in Charlotte... usually at a good price and usually at least half the beers are worthwhile. There's a chance that there will be something (anywhere from hippy to punk) playing outside at Salvador Deli where you can also buy your beer in a 6-pack and drink it outside on the patio. Sanctuary is definitely more punk rock and will often have a pretty loud DJ downstairs... more industrial trance or something as opposed to house / dance.

The Visulite in the Elizabeth area used to be one of my favorite places to see shows... I feel like it's gone downhill a lot lately tho... not necessarily b/c they did anything but b/c bands are heading toward the Music Factory instead. I've seen the likes of Southern Culture on the Skids, Throwrag, Spin Doctors, Reverend Horton Heat, Cast Iron Filter, The Fiery Furnaces, and a bunch of local stuff here. I really like the layout, and the area around it is getting better all the time. There's also the Double Door Inn a block or two away... their claim to fame is that Eric Clapton showed up to play there once... One of the best sound systems in Charlotte, it's a very chill place (seats in the front), very small, and one of the only places for good blues in town.

While a bit further away from town, I'd be remiss to not mention The Milestone. This is, by far, in the sketchiest area of town out of everything I've mentioned. It's a 60+ year old club that's hosted the likes of REM, Nirvana, Melvins, etc, etc... It's small, dirty, has cheap PBR's, and the guy at the door will tell you it's dangerous to walk too far down the street. I always have a great time here, and you can still smoke inside! Unlikely there will be anyone playing that you've heard of, but if you're feeling adventurous, check this place out. More than likely you'll get a local dirty punk show with bands like My Captain, Hammer No More the Fingers, 25 Minutes to Go, Babyshaker or Jews & Catholics. I did, however, see The Helio Sequence here once as well... that's still the cleanest most musically proficient show I've ever seen at The Milestone.

In addition to VBGB, the NC Music Factory also has The Fillmore. I despise The Fillmore and avoid it if I can... ticket prices are high (buy at the box office if you can to avoid some of the fees), beer is too expensive to drink (and I really like beer... $12 for a Stella tho? No thank you.), there is no water fountain and water is $4. The sound is usually very good, although I was there last night and it sucked. There's no telling what might show up here... I've managed to catch KMFDM, Primus, Volbeat, and a couple of other shows here. There is also the Time Warner Amphitheater, which - by the time of the show - will probably be where anything would go down instead of The Fillmore. I've never been here, but STP played here once... but so did Selena Gomez. There is also a stage outside of Butter... last summer there had a free concert series here... I don't remember everyone who played, but I remember being rather impressed with the lineup. The series ended with Ed Kowalczyk, and it was a pretty great place to be outdoors with scantily clad ladies serving beer from inside the water sculpture.

Feel like I'm missing something, but that's what I can remember right now for live music...

If you just want to chill uptown, get out of the hotel. Dandelion Market on the corner of 5th and Church is probably your best bet for good beer uptown. I enjoy hanging out at Phil's (on the other side of 5th), but mostly b/c I know the staff and they know me... The Wooden Vine (Tryon and 6th) is a really low key place with some pretty good wine (expensive tho), and if you feel like clubbing, the EpiCenter is the place to be with Suite, Whiskey River, Kazba, and a bunch of other that I hate.

Hope that helps! :)

There is also always the Epic Center which is chock full of stuff to do. Last year we saw a good local band play there, saw some duelling pianos, watched the X-men 1st Class movie in the killer theatre where they serve food and drinks like you're flying first class...Charlotte is quite a town when it comes to entertainment.

Does HEROES have live bands at night ? I mean...what is there to do at night?

I'm still recommending VBGB in the NC Music Factory... if you like beer...

live bands on Friday nights; DJ on Saturday. If the weather's nice, it's easily walkable from uptown. The music factory is a little over two miles from the convention center. I work next to the Con and ride my bike home past the music factory every day. Very easy. :)

If you're looking for live music, uptown sucks pretty hard. There are lots of places nearby, however... all of which are close enough that, when I go, I ride my bike... so I can't imagine a cab ride is more than $20 with tip.

The closest venue is Amos' Southend, which is much more likely to have a cover band than anything else. It's a big venue but rarely has shows that I want to see. (Although the Beastie Boys played here a few years ago as did Ed Kowalczyk) Slightly over-priced, but not terrible... but the beer selection is lacking. If you get bored at Amos' you can go next door to the Gin Mill for jockey kinds of fun, Dharma for loud house music or Common Market South for a good beer and a nice patio. There is often music on the patio, but it's also often pretty crowded.

A little further away is Tremont Music Hall. Bigger name bands play here, but there's no telling what you'll get. I've seen KMFDM, Ministry, The Helio Sequence, Foxy Shazam, Ted Leo, Jump Little Children, a whole bunch of local bands, and a lot of other random stuff here. It gets really hot in here, and the venue is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but I usually have a good time.

The Plaza Midwood area has Snug Harbor, which is just a few 100 people... I don't think I've ever seen a real "national" act here, but it's almost always a good time... the beer selection is pretty good (and priced fairly), and their whiskey/bourbon selection is shockingly good for a club. Door prices are usually low, and it's in a great area of town. This is right next to 22, which hosted the comic art show last year (including some Ditko pieces... I think they came from Sheldon?)... Common Market is across the street... this place often has music as well, but you never know. It's a total hipster hangout, but they also have a really good beer selection. Slightly over priced, but not bad... it's usually worth it for the atmosphere. Especially if you're a smoker. (maybe 3/4 miles from uptown)

NoDa is the more artsy district (not far from the Plaza Midwood area)... The Evening Muse and The Neighborhood Theater are right across the street from each other. I typically avoid both of these places if I can... If a band is playing at the Muse it's a good bet it's acoustic, whiny, and/or contains some stupid instrument like a washboard just b/c it seems cool. A lot of people I know like this place tho... it's super chill, but just totally not for me. Same for Neighborhood. The Muse is (very) small, and Neighborhood is mostly just a bigger venue for the same stuff. (still owned by the same people, I think) Neil Gaiman did a reading once at the Neighborhood... I've seen Adrian Belew here... I think that was the best show I've seen at this place, but it was seated, and I kind of hated it. The NoDa area, however, is pretty awesome. Solstice Tavern can be a lot of fun... great patio, but the whole place can get crowded and douchey on the weekends. Jack Beagle's is small, but usually has 6 great beers on tap. The pizza place, Revolution, has one of the long tap walls in Charlotte... usually at a good price and usually at least half the beers are worthwhile. There's a chance that there will be something (anywhere from hippy to punk) playing outside at Salvador Deli where you can also buy your beer in a 6-pack and drink it outside on the patio. Sanctuary is definitely more punk rock and will often have a pretty loud DJ downstairs... more industrial trance or something as opposed to house / dance.

The Visulite in the Elizabeth area used to be one of my favorite places to see shows... I feel like it's gone downhill a lot lately tho... not necessarily b/c they did anything but b/c bands are heading toward the Music Factory instead. I've seen the likes of Southern Culture on the Skids, Throwrag, Spin Doctors, Reverend Horton Heat, Cast Iron Filter, The Fiery Furnaces, and a bunch of local stuff here. I really like the layout, and the area around it is getting better all the time. There's also the Double Door Inn a block or two away... their claim to fame is that Eric Clapton showed up to play there once... One of the best sound systems in Charlotte, it's a very chill place (seats in the front), very small, and one of the only places for good blues in town.

While a bit further away from town, I'd be remiss to not mention The Milestone. This is, by far, in the sketchiest area of town out of everything I've mentioned. It's a 60+ year old club that's hosted the likes of REM, Nirvana, Melvins, etc, etc... It's small, dirty, has cheap PBR's, and the guy at the door will tell you it's dangerous to walk too far down the street. I always have a great time here, and you can still smoke inside! Unlikely there will be anyone playing that you've heard of, but if you're feeling adventurous, check this place out. More than likely you'll get a local dirty punk show with bands like My Captain, Hammer No More the Fingers, 25 Minutes to Go, Babyshaker or Jews & Catholics. I did, however, see The Helio Sequence here once as well... that's still the cleanest most musically proficient show I've ever seen at The Milestone.

In addition to VBGB, the NC Music Factory also has The Fillmore. I despise The Fillmore and avoid it if I can... ticket prices are high (buy at the box office if you can to avoid some of the fees), beer is too expensive to drink (and I really like beer... $12 for a Stella tho? No thank you.), there is no water fountain and water is $4. The sound is usually very good, although I was there last night and it sucked. There's no telling what might show up here... I've managed to catch KMFDM, Primus, Volbeat, and a couple of other shows here. There is also the Time Warner Amphitheater, which - by the time of the show - will probably be where anything would go down instead of The Fillmore. I've never been here, but STP played here once... but so did Selena Gomez. There is also a stage outside of Butter... last summer there had a free concert series here... I don't remember everyone who played, but I remember being rather impressed with the lineup. The series ended with Ed Kowalczyk, and it was a pretty great place to be outdoors with scantily clad ladies serving beer from inside the water sculpture.

Feel like I'm missing something, but that's what I can remember right now for live music...

If you just want to chill uptown, get out of the hotel. Dandelion Market on the corner of 5th and Church is probably your best bet for good beer uptown. I enjoy hanging out at Phil's (on the other side of 5th), but mostly b/c I know the staff and they know me... The Wooden Vine (Tryon and 6th) is a really low key place with some pretty good wine (expensive tho), and if you feel like clubbing, the EpiCenter is the place to be with Suite, Whiskey River, Kazba, and a bunch of other that I hate.

Hope that helps! :)

Oh to be young again................ lol

Yeay! Just booked my room today and bringing a friend of mine that has never been to the show before. He always hears me talking about Heroes when we are at Dragon Con so he finally caved and is coming to see for himself how awesome it is.