• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Effect of signature on CGC grade

7 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Uncanny X-Men #95 which I bought about 10 years ago. It is easily 9.4-9.6, but has

Chris Claremont's signature (tastefully placed on the lower right of splash page -- about a 1x2 inch

signature. The sig is clearly legit as the seller never even mentioned it to me. What does CGC do

with this? Qualified, or downgrade it as garden variety defacement?

I have a copy of Uncanny X-Men #95 which I bought about 10 years ago. It is easily 9.4-9.6, but has

Chris Claremont's signature (tastefully placed on the lower right of splash page -- about a 1x2 inch

signature. The sig is clearly legit as the seller never even mentioned it to me. What does CGC do

Qualified label. Per Overstreet, no downgrade for a creator signature if the book otherwise grades below Mint.

Qualified label. Per Overstreet, no downgrade for a creator signature if the book otherwise grades below Mint.

I've also seen it simply noted on the lable if it's on an interior page -- no qualified lable.

I've also seen it simply noted on the lable if it's on an interior page -- no qualified lable.

That's correct, I believe the qualified label is only for signatures on the cover. Interestingly, when I slabbed my JIM 83, which was signed by Stan Lee on the cover, it came back blue label with the notation "Stan Lee written on the cover", which I thought was the right way to go, as I'm not sure how a signature should be any different from other writing. So I was surprised, and disagreed with CGC, when they started giving qualified labels to signatures on the cover. Maybe I was just lucky and got mine in before CGC changed its policy.

Does this usually tank the value even if the book is ultra nice?

Getting a Qualified label will definately lesson the value of your CGC graded book as it is an indicator that the book has a defect.

Many collectors do not look fondly on signatures on books as they are often a very personal thing. Myself I don't like signatures unless I was the guy who got the book signed. grin.gif