• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Incredible Hulk's 1-6
1 1

54 posts in this topic

I have been looking at these in mid to high grade (5.0-8.0) and it seems like you can pick these up for fairly decent prices. I know this series stopped for a reason but how do people feel about these as a collectable? Undervalued, overvalued, little interest in these long term? Did we see any significant price jumps before or after the movie? I am looking at possibly buying at least the #1 issue in mid grade just as a keep sake.

I am looking at possibly buying at least the #1 issue in mid grade just as a keep sake.

You will need a pretty penny to pick #1 up even in mid grade. Hulks first app is a little more than a 'keepsake' these days. grin.gif

There is one 5.0 on Comiclink for I think $3,200-$3,600 bucks. I'm assuming that's on the high side but not too bad a price for a great Marvel SA key. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's on the very high side...check Metro's website and ask for scans, look around, take your time!

While I would love to have Hulk's 1-6, I wouldn't be in a rush to buy a mid-grade copy unless it was number one.

Most mid-grade books haven't done much for years and I wouldn't expect much in the next few years because more and more of these will be the one's graded.

The exceptions are almost always the MAJOR KEYS, just because the collector who can't afford all high grades, still might want at least a mid-grade.

sounds right to me. I was under the impression that mid grade comics of all kinds were slow sellers and a bad buy because they do not increase in value along with their high grade cousins. But, of late, the keys find buyers at increasing prices. Commons do not. Seems many collectors genuinely want the keys and will settle for lower grades that are affordable.

I agree with both of you guys. I am trying to stay focused on keys going forward as I think this will be the best investment in the long term. I really don't want to be looking at my non-keys two years down the road, thinking about selling them and wishing I had spent money on keys instead.

4 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

This is a cool set.  I was going to post but my books were out of order in old group shot.  Darn.  Must redo.  

As a younger collector,  this was a big big goal for me.  It was like the grail of early SA runs. It took a long time and I only recently finished it,  but Hulk 1 will always be my favorite key of the SA. I would love to upgrade mine some day. 

Volume one, a nice tight run of only six books, was like Marvel's gift to run collectors.  Thank you!  Not only does it plainly sound like a doable run, the prices of #2-#6 are mecifully very low relative to #1.  Some folks don't realize that #102 is actually the start of volume two.  I have volumes 1, 2, and 3 complete (basically through year 2000), and there are lots of cool covers there.  But if you can only display one shelf of Hulk, the absolute best is having #1-#6 on display together on a single shelf.  Okay, okay, maybe you can stick #181 in there somewhere if you must.  :)