• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xmen 1963 Complete Series -- shill bidding?

18 posts in this topic

I like these kinds of auctions. Seller doesn't sell comic books normally, and he didn't list any grades other than VG/NM on all book. It also means they probably did a cursory grading, so things could be better or worse than stated. It's the ultimate risk-taking endeavor. Always fun, but the price tag is getting a little high.

One always wonders about 0 feedback bidders. Both when you are a buyer AND a seller. But certainly I don't have any alarms raised by the person with a 69 feedback. I like Dr. Balls' comment though. Like he said, the ultimate gamble. No individual pictures of books, no grades posted (though seller says will email a spreadsheet) Seller states they haven't personally inspected each book so cannot be sure there are no missing pages. Stomping of feet and insisting no returns (eBay buyer protection and my credit card company say different) No way I'd bid unless it went for next to nothing.

Check this eBay listing out and tell me if something doesn't look fishy --

Xmen 1963 Complete Series Issues 1-544 Annuals, Giant Size, Variants, & Specials

The top three bidders have feedback ratings of 0, 2, and 69 respectively. Two of those top bidders have 100% bidding activity with this seller.

With feedbacks of 0 and two their activity with any seller is necessarily a large percentage but the scenario as you've described it reads as contrived -- I'd stay far away.

I like these kinds of auctions. Seller doesn't sell comic books normally, and he didn't list any grades other than VG/NM on all book. It also means they probably did a cursory grading, so things could be better or worse than stated. It's the ultimate risk-taking endeavor. Always fun, but the price tag is getting a little high.

I agree with it being risky and fun. I've taken a couple risks like this and it's paid off big. Especially when they have someting in better condition than they thought because of not normally selling comics. But the reverse is also true so it evens out.

It is a risk when it comes to situations with 0 feedback and what looks like shillers, but if there were individual pictures of each book and grades, would that make it worth $4000? Since when does someone's feedback rating determine the value of a comic? I personally believe that its worth $4000, and probably would bid on it if i had the money and i bought comics off of ebay. And if it is a load of junk books with half the interior missing, its just like Tony S said, Ebay buyer protection and credit card companies would probably have something different to say about the no return policy.

I'll admit, it is a risky situation because of the no feedback and shillers, but it looks like a risk that you could get a great deal on and make some decent money if you're looking to flip. Or you could get totally ripped off for 4 grand and never see any comics or your money again. My 2c

That's a confusing description - a "complete series" that's missing issues 19 through 94, but includes a few FFs and Avengers (48 and 52 in there) and Iron Man/Sub-Mariner 1. At least he offers a spreadsheet of what's supposed to arrive.

Whenever I receive a lot, I count the comics to make sure it matches what was described. I'd hate to try to match this one up.

That's a confusing description - a "complete series" that's missing issues 19 through 94, but includes a few FFs and Avengers (48 and 52 in there) and Iron Man/Sub-Mariner 1. At least he offers a spreadsheet of what's supposed to arrive.

Whenever I receive a lot, I count the comics to make sure it matches what was described. I'd hate to try to match this one up.

I think you are misreading that....19 to 94 seem to be there. I can't spot the 94, but I see many of the others in that range.

I think you are misreading that....19 to 94 seem to be there. I can't spot the 94, but I see many of the others in that range.

Maybe that's a listing of the annuals included. I guess getting the spreadsheet is the only sure way to go.

I also wonder if he did page counts, centerfolds are attached, coupons clipped etc. I like the part in the listing that says " We do reserve the right to cancel the auction at any time due to the fact that the collection is for sale in a retail location. " In other words if the auction doesn't meet my price, I'll just not sell to the high bidder and say it was sold elsewhere.? (shrug)

That's a confusing description - a "complete series" that's missing issues 19 through 94,

You're reading it wrong.

X-MEN (issues 1 - 544 from the 1963 series) + (Annuals -1, 1-18, 95 -2011), (Giant Size #1 - #4), (Texas State Fair), (Specials 1-3)

I don't think it's missing any annuals, because #18 was the 1994 annual.

Yeah, I realized that above. I still think it could be phrased in a less confusing way. Your addition of parentheses is a simple solution that works.

Yup - everything is there including #94, although I couldn't find it in the pictures, either.

The lower numbered books are all 3.0 - 5.0 (#1 is 3.0), then they pick up a bit through 145 to 3.0 - 8.0. BUT, there are only 8 books graded as high as 8.0 among the first 145.

146 plus were all graded 8.0-9.9...

Not sure it's worth it...but to each his own hm