• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking about making a probation sub-forum

65 posts in this topic

Probation sub-forum? No. :sumo:

I don't think it's a good idea, seems fine the way we currently have it.

Why?

:blahblah:

:roflmao:

:hi:

Because the current thread works just fine. Why mess with something that already works, is simple, and complete. All the discussions and probation threads have already been segregated and relegated to the appropriate corner of the forums.

Honestly it does not seem simple. There are a total of 54 members on the HOS/PL list as of this writing. Granted there have been some that have been removed. So lets be really generous and make that number to 74.

Representing that is 12,348 posts. That is an average of 167 posts per person, using the expanded count of 74. We both know that number is not representative of the actual post count related to the specific PL/HOS issue.

How is this simple and complete? Why would a thread exactly like Kudos but for negs rather than positives be more complex than what we have?

The probation thread is simple and linear. If there's going to be a sub-forum for negative feedback, then why not just have all feedback for an individual in one feedback forum then?

I just dont think that it's worth it. You may have your views on it and I respect it, but I just don't see the benefit.

Probation sub-forum? No. :sumo:

I don't think it's a good idea, seems fine the way we currently have it.

Why?

:blahblah:

:roflmao:

:hi:

Because the current thread works just fine. Why mess with something that already works, is simple, and complete. All the discussions and probation threads have already been segregated and relegated to the appropriate corner of the forums.

Honestly it does not seem simple. There are a total of 54 members on the HOS/PL list as of this writing. Granted there have been some that have been removed. So lets be really generous and make that number to 74.

Representing that is 12,348 posts. That is an average of 167 posts per person, using the expanded count of 74. We both know that number is not representative of the actual post count related to the specific PL/HOS issue.

How is this simple and complete? Why would a thread exactly like Kudos but for negs rather than positives be more complex than what we have?

The probation thread is simple and linear. If there's going to be a sub-forum for negative feedback, then why not just have all feedback for an individual in one feedback forum then?

I just dont think that it's worth it. You may have your views on it and I respect it, but I just don't see the benefit.

It wouldn't be negative feedback in the eBay sense of slow shipping, threads would only be about fraud or theft (I never got the book-Buyer never paid-etc...).

My 2c:

Leave the Probation List Only thread for updates.

Each name, whether on HOS or Probation, will have a link tag next to their name.

If you're going to sell, check the list for updates. How hard can that be?

Leave the Probation Discussion thread as is.

Once the discussion is closed and agreed on, accused member goes on the list with a link tag next to their name.

Sellers can click the link if they want to know more details on the offense. The fact that someone is on the list should be enough.

How would a sub-forum work? Would there be a new thread started for every new potential transgression? Would the offending boardie's name be put in the title for easy reference, or would searching the person's name still be required (and if so, how is that any better than having all of the probation list discussion in one thread)?

And if the person's name is supposed to be in the title, how are we going to enforce that given the reluctance some have to even naming the person right away, as we've seen time and time again, where the OP is giving a fact pattern to take the temperature of his position rather than as an out and out outing of the offender?

Also, the current set up has the probation threads right there alongside the various selling sub-forums. I think it's good to have those threads flashing past your eyes even if only briefly before you get to the sales threads. If there is a specific sub-forum for probation list issues, aren't you losing the proximity factor and thereby also losing those who would learn of the existence of the probation list this way? What would be the driver of traffic to the probation list sub-forum? Why would segregating it from the sales threads be of benefit?

We've got a Probation Discussions thread and a General thread already. Why one more?

If Arch is going to put time into this... then maybe they could mark offending PL & HOS listers accounts so we won't have to search the lists and would know immediatly when they post.

Arch/Mods don't have to be "involved" in monetary transactions as others have noted this action would be... all Arch has to do is help identify trouble makers that were deemed that way by the community.

Just saying...

Please mark them with a large red "A" :banana:

I'm for anything to make it easier.

:foryou:

In about 10 minutes you can ignore everyone on the Probation List. I didn't do the HOS'ers and couldn't find a couple probies.

:bump: 1/10/12 PROBATION LIST UPDATE :bump:

THE HALL OF SHAME

The following Board Members have been elected by the community to the

Probation List's "Hall of Shame" for gross misconduct as members in the

Marketplace Forum:

• Herald2Galactus
    (Inaugural Member & 1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

• gilbertotorres
    (added 11/5/08 - 2nd "Hall of Shame" Member)

• ComicSupply
    (added 10/28/08 - 3rd "Hall of Shame" Member)

• CAP freak
    (added 5/21/09 - 4th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• AlleyBat aka BucOne aka WolfHulk aka Roxx Gang aka MarkWeb aka lastyle7 aka royig aka Punkkitty aka bamaboy aka Greenpep
    (added 5/23/08 - 5th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• TFL
    (added 6/2/09 - 6th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• Dr. Frankenstein aka muscleshark aka WALDO-JOHNSON
    (added 5/3/10 - 7th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• TheDanimal
    (added 8/12/10 - 8th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• MachineGunned aka William Townsend aka Chester Jordan
    (added 8/31/10 - 9th "Hall of Shame" Member)

• Joker-Fish
    (added 11/3/10 - 10th "Hall of Shame" Member)

THE PROBATION LIST

The following Board Members are currently on "Probation" for failure to complete a Marketplace Forum transaction in good faith after one month's time. Those with an "Off-Board" notation indicate the failed transaction occurred outside of the CGC Message Boards.

GoodAsh added 1/10/12

[*] aaron568 (added 11/6/08) Profile/Ignore option

[*] BATMANFAN (added 2/9/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] bkwon12 (added 10/08/09) Profile/Ignore option

[*] brasseye (added 7/2/09) Profile/Ignore option

[*] bronzejunkie (added 3/26/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Chrissr (added 12/22/09) Profile/Ignore option

[*] clobberintime (added 11/7/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] comicmankev (added 3/27/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] comicseekers (added 9/14/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] daken2626 (added 10/14/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] DarkKnight2K4 (added 4/24/08) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Dimebag_D (added 12/17/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] donavan74 (added 3/27/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] erbdom (added 12/08/09) Profile/Ignore option

[*] ffxmen14 (added 4/12/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Gaijin2010 (added 9/24/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Ghastly (added by majority vote 12/3/07)

[*] GoodAsh (added 1/10/12) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Hammerhead (voluntarily added 7/27/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Henchman (added 4/25/08)

[*] HGComics (added 10/7/09)

[*] htown79 (added 8/4/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] holyghost (added 6/30/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] itsatoy67 (added 9/21/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] kevin109 (added 4/19/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Lighthouse (added 6/13/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Marc Wolfe (added 9/15/08) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Marvelguy34 (added 8/5/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] matewan1990 (added 3/3/08) Profile/Ignore option

[*] mishu2nite (added 3/3/10) Profile/Ignore option

[*] mjacobs8 (added 1/24/09) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Nascar (added 6/2/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] NEXTLVL (added 10/12/08) Profile/Ignore option

[*] panahobit (added 3/8/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] rza808 (added 10/18/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] SAGAT (added 4/29/11) - Off Board via eBay - eBay ID Miffybunny Profile/Ignore option

[*] Sid (added 8/8/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] SilverSlinky (added 11/20/09) Profile/Ignore option

[*] SIXX_VAN_ROSE (added 11/7/08) Profile/Ignore option

[*] SpiderJay300 (added 9/15/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Superman20 (added 12/18/07) Profile/Ignore option

[*] Taz007 aka Thesavros aka Rudolph (added 7/15/09)

[*] Tyson (added 10/7/11) Profile/Ignore option

[*] ZoMbiE13 (added 9/21/11) Profile/Ignore option

Wow...look how small this list was two years ago. :(

There can be threads for each potential offense/offender. That would be easier to navigate and organize.

I still like this idea. The PL Discussion thread has become unwieldy. Being able to have sub-forums for each candidate would be great. Much easier to navigate and the drek would be greatly eliminated.

I hope Arch is still up for this. We could lock the old Probation Disussions thread for historical use and begin with this.

There can be threads for each potential offense/offender. That would be easier to navigate and organize.

I still like this idea. The PL Discussion thread has become unwieldy. Being able to have sub-forums for each candidate would be great. Much easier to navigate and the drek would be greatly eliminated.

I hope Arch is still up for this. We could lock the old Probation Disussions thread for historical use and begin with this.

This isn't a bad idea. Discussions about PL/HOS worthiness ultimately become mixed with what is PL/HOS worthy and possible improvements. Such discussions water down and confuse the original nomination or argument.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Red84 said:

@Architecht  Is this where Probation Discussions are supposed to be held now that you locked the Probation Discussion thread? Or is each PL case supposed to get its own thread?

A thread for each case, but still a single thread for the updated list of accepted probation entries.

I think it is a great idea to have devoted threads for each PL case, and I understand the need to start fresh. That said for the record one thing the old PL Discussion thread did contribute was a venue for people to hash out the need/justice/feasibility of nominations before actually proceeding with them. In some cases hashing out in advance saved time by dissuading nominations and in other cases helped members come to the conviction that what they were doing was appropriate and feasible in their circumstances. I am only putting this out to suggest that maybe one or the other of the existing discussion threads here in the Marketplace could be an acceptable substitute, as General Discussions was at times, for people to vet concerns. My assumption is that we are only really encouraging people to start devoted threads when they are actually decided on making a formal nomination, and not just talking about it or venting frustrations.

It may be worth discussing whether we all have the same expectations for devoted threads. My own expectations, for example, would be that the OP making the nomination post the thread on the same day they send the PM notice to the person nominated, and that the first post contain a clear narrative at least of the timeline and the exact problem clearly stated, and also that the subject header for such a thread be only one name, the Board name of the person nominated, without any elaborate drama. If the goal is to make the process simpler and less convoluted it is not unreasonable to have at least some discussion about posting PL threads.

I realize this kind of discussion probably belongs elsewhere, but I posted here as I wanted to address some of the bona fide purposes served by the old PL Discussion thread. 2c

Trying to figure out the intent, here are a few things we can mull over - this thread seems like the place to do it. (shrug)

Can we eliminate the PM notification or at least add the option for a public notification with an @crassus (for example) in the first post in the new thread.

Do the threads sit dormant until the defendant comes forward OR is there discussion from all members?

Is the creation of these threads exempt from the "threads to bash other members" board rule or will nominators get moderator warnings? :jokealert:

I agree it's not clear if we are now using the General Discussion thread (left behind in the old sub-forum) to guide nominators with questions etc...on the process or are we using this one?  If it's the General Discussion thread, should that thread be in this sub-forum (stickied or non-stickied?)

Edited by bababooey

12 hours ago, bababooey said:

Trying to figure out the intent, here are a few things we can mull over - this thread seems like the place to do it. (shrug)

Can we eliminate the PM notification or at least add the option for a public notification with an @crassus (for example) in the first post in the new thread.

Do the threads sit dormant until the defendant comes forward OR is there discussion from all members?

Is the creation of these threads exempt from the "threads to bash other members" board rule or will nominators get moderator warnings? :jokealert:

I agree it's not clear if we are now using the General Discussion thread (left behind in the old sub-forum) to guide nominators with questions etc...on the process or are we using this one?  If it's the General Discussion thread, should that thread be in this sub-forum (stickied or non-stickied?)

(My bold above) just wanted to take up this question separately. IMO its important that there be open discussion from all members. While a certain part of the PL process is the prerogative of the person making the nomination, and ultimately the parties involved have to settle it, still community input is usually vital to sorting out what is just and reasonable. Commentary on PL cases is also part of the community input and commentary is also sometimes part of the learning curve for new members.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Dan Dwyer was not put on PL

So that just means that the probation list wasn't updated with his name. The thread can just be left alone. ALTHOUGH, I considered turning on the Mark As Sold function that I turned on in the marketplace in here, to allow people to close threads that resolved without a probation entry. The tag of "sold" that it adds is weird in this context, though.