• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored - Purple Label terminology

10 posts in this topic

Is there an index on the CGC website or can someone provide me a quick overview of the short form letters when it comes to restoration and what they mean ?

I notice people on the board use (MP), E, and other letters.

Also, used by sellers describing PLODs.

What does they mean - moderated, extensive restoration ?

Thanks.

Slight(A) means its slight amount of restoration done by an amateur(usually non removable). Slight(P) done by a pro that can be removed most of the time. Mod(A) - Mod(P) done by an amateur/pro and cannot be removed, that also applies for Extensive(A)(P).

Slight = minimal amount of resto

Mod = a few things done

Extensive = a lot of things done.

Restored comics graded by CGC are identified with a purple label, rather than the blue label given for unrestored comic books. CGC's grading standards for restored comics consists of three components; an apparent grade, the extent of restoration, and the quality of restoration materials used.

The apparent grade follows the same standard as for unrestored comics, ranging from 0.5 to 10.0 (most in the 1.0 to 9.0 range), but is printed on a purple label rather than blue.

Extent of restoration has three classifications: Slight, Moderate, and Extensive. Slightly restored comics include cover and interior cleaning, tear seals, support, and very minor color touch. Moderately restored comics include all of that plus minor piece fill and more color touch. Extensive comics include any kind of piece fill, including major grafts of up to 1/3 of a cover or page, and any amount of color touch.

Quality of restoration is ranked as Professional (P) or Amateur (A). Professional restoration encompasses the traditional materials used by a professional comic restorer such as rice paper, wheat paste, methyl cellulose, and acrylic or water based paint. Amateur restoration denotes the use of markers and pens (color touch that results in bleedthrough) and hard glues (basically anything not water soluble). Trimming is considered amateur.

An example of a restored CGC grade for a moderately restored Batman #1 with professional work would be "Batman #1, CGC app. 6.5 Moderate (P)."

Staple cleaning or replacement, replaced wraps, and fully married covers will receive a "Qualified" grade, which is represented by a green label.

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/services_restoration.htm#what_standards

Thanks for the help guys,

In terms of demand / value / pricing - how does the classification effect asking price... if at all ?

I don't buy purple labels, but am curious.

ie. does Professional (P) restoration for a book have a higher asking price than one with Amateur (A) work, all things being equal and it's the same issue ?

My logic is I would rather have something professionally done because the overall appeal of the restored book looks better than amateur work (?)

Just did a google search on "cgc plod" and found out it stands for Purple Label Of Death.

Should have known that doh!

I did the same thing last week when I saw a similar thread and wasn't sure on plod or glod. You're not alone

In terms of demand / value / pricing - how does the classification effect asking price... if at all ?

ie. does Professional (P) restoration for a book have a higher asking price than one with Amateur (A) work, all things being equal and it's the same issue ?

My logic is I would rather have something professionally done because the overall appeal of the restored book looks better than amateur work (?)

Can anyone help answer this question? I am curious myself!

Can anyone help answer this question? I am curious myself!

PLODs are always a crapshoot, and a lot of if depends on the book. Some amateur resto can be reduced/eliminated, but if i had to have a purple label, i'd at least want to know it was in the right hands at the time, you know?

If you have a key comic that's PLOD, you can expect to chop off anywhere from 30-45% the price of the book. Some folks are perfectly with resto, barring any trimming.

Professional is always better and the price goes up with less restoration which should make sense.

As for pricing it just depends on the book, a restored Detective 27 isn't going to be priced the same was a restored Amazing Spiderman 50 would be.

It just varies based on what was done, who did it, how the book looks and what the book is amoung other things.

James G