• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAS VEGAS COMIC EXPO - SEPTEMBER 29-30, 2012

275 posts in this topic

Here in Las Vegas, the annual Star Trek convention just ended. The news kept saying there were 20,000 attendees. While I doubt it was really that high, it is safe to say it is a pretty large number. This is the 11th year it has been held in Las Vegas.

So how does this relate? It goes to show a nerd convention can be a success in Las Vegas. Hopefully someone will figure out someday how to put a good comic convention together here. I hope the Comic Expro people see the comments here and realize that a focus on vintage material and dealers would help make their exhibit hall a place collectors want to come to.

Here is the link to the Star Trek convention, I may go for a day next year lol

http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas.html

If you look at the glossy they are handing out, you don't even see an emphasis on vintage comics at all. I think that is a mistake if you want this show to repeat and be succesful. People will drive and fly for a good comics show, and Las Vegas is a great destination that is highly accessible. Yet, without the draw of nationally known comics dealers, a lot of people won't bother.

BTW, Las Vegas has a population of 2 million, and is a 4 hour drive from LA and only slightly longer from Phoenix, so it does have access to a large population.

Rule of thumb for driving distance is two hours for a show like this. Vegas's isolation is one of the main reasons its never had The National baseball card show.

I got that right from one of its directors as we discussed this very convention.

Going West from Vegas, two hours drive, puts you in Death Valley, going south, its about Lake Havasu, in the Mojave Desert, Southwest, maybe Williams, Arizona. North - perhaps St George, Utah. Lets not forget that hustling hamlet of Searchlight.

Vegas had a huge Comic Convention a few years back at Mandalay Bay. It was an utter disaster. I'm certainly hoping the same fate doesn't occur here.

Here in Las Vegas, the annual Star Trek convention just ended. The news kept saying there were 20,000 attendees. While I doubt it was really that high, it is safe to say it is a pretty large number. This is the 11th year it has been held in Las Vegas.

So how does this relate? It goes to show a nerd convention can be a success in Las Vegas. Hopefully someone will figure out someday how to put a good comic convention together here. I hope the Comic Expro people see the comments here and realize that a focus on vintage material and dealers would help make their exhibit hall a place collectors want to come to.

Here is the link to the Star Trek convention, I may go for a day next year lol

http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas.html

Actually, the success of the Star Trek convention is due solely to the large guest list of stars that comes out. Then again, Creation doesn't run normal "conventions" where the mix of the dealers room and the programming equal a good show. Their shows provide access to the various TV shows/movie stars, and they charge people accordingly.

I'm hopeful a good exhibitor list will be announced soon. I know their Operations Director is finishing up exhibiting at the Wizard World Chicago convention today, so hopefully by the middle to end of this week we'll hear an update.

I'm hopeful a good exhibitor list will be announced soon. I know their Operations Director is finishing up exhibiting at the Wizard World Chicago convention today, so hopefully by the middle to end of this week we'll hear an update.

I think it would have been smarter to have an Operations Director at Wizard World Chicago working hard to convince national dealers to set up at the Las Vegas show.

I think it would have been smarter to have an Operations Director at Wizard World Chicago working hard to convince national dealers to set up at the Las Vegas show.

I know that while he was there, he was talking to several of the national dealers who also set up at Wizard World Chicago. As I said before, I'm hopeful that an update is coming in the near future.

I have been away from the boards for the last week or two, but met with board member Joel Elad yesterday afternoon, as well as seeing him in Chicago. He is ever the voice of reason on these boards, and let me know i should jump back on and check things out, and update the thread

More Artist Alley tables have been sold, more comic dealers have signed up.

Applications have been coming through several sources- from the website, through staff, and from me directly; and we're still collating, and processing from all ends.

I'm flying out and meeting in Vegas later today and tomorrow. We should have an initial update on the site, with waves people/dealers added.

Las Vegas Comic Expo should be an excellent regional show. While a highlight of the show in it's first year will be a world class artist alley, there will be a solid list of dealers at the event, with nice mix of comics, from oldies to modern, and graphic novels, and toys, and statues, etc.

I will make a point to check in with these boards more often, showcasing progress and process of the convention

best-

Jimmy

I have been away from the boards for the last week or two, but met with board member Joel Elad yesterday afternoon, as well as seeing him in Chicago. He is ever the voice of reason on these boards, and let me know i should jump back on and check things out, and update the thread

More Artist Alley tables have been sold, more comic dealers have signed up.

Applications have been coming through several sources- from the website, through staff, and from me directly; and we're still collating, and processing from all ends.

I'm flying out and meeting in Vegas later today and tomorrow. We should have an initial update on the site, with waves people/dealers added.

Las Vegas Comic Expo should be an excellent regional show. While a highlight of the show in it's first year will be a world class artist alley, there will be a solid list of dealers at the event, with nice mix of comics, from oldies to modern, and graphic novels, and toys, and statues, etc.

I will make a point to check in with these boards more often, showcasing progress and process of the convention

best-

Jimmy

What kinds of panels will you be having? Nothing is listed on the website yet? Also will there be any celebrity guests? These will definitely be needed as well as some big time dealers to make it a successful convention. Just my 2c

Only 5 weeks until the show. Some more info about exhibitors would be nice.

Maybe the dealers are going to be a ...surprise? Kind of a dealer "de jour" kind of deal. You know the kind where you book hotel/flight's/holiday's etc to see if "maybe" there will be dealers there. I think this is a great approach for a first time con (thumbs u

Hey Jeff,

If it influences your decision, Danny (Silver) and I would like get together for dinner one night while you are here. Other board members are welcome too. Let's make it happen.

Ken

Ken, if I end up coming, I'm definitely in. (thumbs u

I 'd love to meet up with some forumites. Dinner would be great or even just sitting around for a few cocktails. I'll be at the Grand Desert, which has a fantastic pool/ deck complex and is some three hundered yards from alexis.

I suspect a forum dinner may well be the high point of the weekend.

hey guys-

Webmaster is out of town, so updates on the wave 1 exhibitor list should be coming later in the week. Lots of comic dealers in the room, from big support of the local stores to out of state dealers, to several "national" dealers. Modern and bronze will be readily available, and there should be 2 booths of a "rookie" convention dealer, with what was describe to me as HUGE collection of Gold/Silver. Some silver should also be represented by one of the local dealers as well.

When the dealer lists go up, check it out, and if this seems like it's worth jaunt out for the weekend, then we hope to see you out there. Introduce yourselves and I will gladly buy you a drink after the show!

As for Panels-

we are finalizing commitments from the participants, and we're in the same situation with the webmaster as listed above. Look for updates later in the week, but highlight should spotlights on a number of our main guests like MIKE MIGNOLA and LEN WEIN, Newest from the Projects Due out from our guests, Drawing seminars by Star Wars Concept artist Ian McCaig, Extensive Cosplay, Tutorials, and much more. Our goal is utilize the special guest list we are bringing out and highlighting them in formats and schedules what they are most comfortable with, and that the fans should dig. Once again, review the materials when they go up online, and make your determinations from there...

I've received PMs from several of the board members, and we respect your feedback a great deal. My job is to facilitate the operations of the show, and hope to make the weekend comic con event a fun one.

best-

Jimmy...