• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, mlansdown said:

After reading this thread, I realize that I desperately need to add some Animals Comics to my collection.

Here's an original page from Pogo #7.  Lots of original linework still visible under the inks.  Enjoy!

pogo7.jpg

Great piece, thanks for posting. It is fun to see how Mr. Kelly put his work together. Pretty spot on in regard to layout.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:10 PM, OtherEric said:

Now I'm tempted to dig out my Animal Comics #22 and re-read it myself.

Give it a go; I just sat down and read the issue and it is great. Pogo and Rover are the standout stories. Sidhara was good as well but this is the only story apparently ever done. Uncle Wiggly did little for me and Elephunnies gave me a good laugh.

It's getting harder for me to track down Kelly books I still need.  Not impossible, but harder.

Here's one I got earlier this year.  The Bell Bakery mini-issues of Peter Wheat are just insanely rare.  Not in Gerber but if they were I suspect the would all be 9's if not 10's.  Happy to have this one, even with the damaged corner... the art is all intact.

Peter_Wheat_Cart.jpg

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It's getting harder for me to track down Kelly books I still need.  Not impossible, but harder.

Here's one I got earlier this year.  The Bell Bakery mini-issues of Peter Wheat are just insanely rare.  Not in Gerber but if they were I suspect the would all be 9's if not 10's.  Happy to have this one, even with the damaged corner... the art is all intact.

Peter_Wheat_Cart.jpg

What years was Kelly doing Peter Wheat?

On 4/28/2019 at 8:10 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

A whole bushel full of Kelly goodness arrived in the mailbox this weeK! Plus some bonus Barks stories for good measure in here! Plenty of fun reading ahead with these fun books.

596078663_tn_OurGang17.jpg.fd1e31a8b6c2b2132b52d93a82f8974e.jpg1559788279_tn_OurGang22.jpg.1b34ee6a0c77bab362a9c6779e654d3f.jpgtn_WDCS103.jpg.2e239a522dcddd68fe4bf76c8d2f0776.jpg

Love Kelly's Our Gang covers.  I think I have most of them.  Way better than his WDC&S covers, imo.

Thanks. I would also agree. It’s one of my favorites even though there are so many great Kelly Animal covers.

It is also from my favorite Dell eras. The 1946-1947 issues all had those nice matte covers. Almost any title had a great cover and very readable stories. Nice, fat issues. 🥰

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The latest addition to the Kelly collection is a real sweet copy of Fairy Tale Parade #1 picked up for a reasonable price at a Heritage Sunday auction a couple weeks back. The front cover on this one is really pretty amazing with some great detail!

tn_FairyTaleParade1cover.thumb.jpg.65652d21b3423f11388a53f9227c387d.jpgtn_FairyTaleParade1baclcover.thumb.jpg.440f53a07d569e5058751bbe90f2925a.jpg

Fairy Tale Parade is just a beautiful book, not just Kelly but the other artists did some amazing work.  I need to finish off my run one of these days.