• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

It was a bonanza of Kelly goodness at the end of last year as I picked up four great Kelly books in the Our Gang series. Besides Kelly we have Barks and John Stanley work. Issue #4 is a particularly nice 64 page thick (plus covers!) Golden Age beauty that feels amazing in hand. I haven't had a chance to read yet but thought I would share the cover and some of the back covers. Issue #20 has a back cover by Barks that is pretty fun and issue #4 is a cool montage with the kid actors from the series.

tn_OurGang4Front.jpg.9eb276b52f5c839ec031871fda7830a4.jpgtn_OurGang4Back.jpg.5b0899a5ddcbfca95c1608a0ef4e7c96.jpg

tn_OurGang19.jpg.59053c7a35dcb0560518e589ee5d15df.jpg

tn_OurGang20Front.jpg.ba2fe4a32c24485e7ceba6b2a9ab066b.jpgtn_OurGang20Back.jpg.02d9a267878be23f7e3401b26cf5de4f.jpgtn_OurGang27.jpg.8721c8525561bbc28a17e44b2b0cfec7.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 7:00 PM, mlansdown said:

Both of these books arrived today.  Too much Walt Kelly in my collection?  Not possible!

Our Gang 15 CGC 9.2.jpg

Our Gang 14 CGC 9.0.jpg

I was surprised when I picked up a reprint series of Kelly’s Our Gang work that the stories continued issue to issue. Probably not a well known fact.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

You certainly need to remedy that!!

I really do, Kelly is one of my two all-time favorite comic creators.  But I've gotten a LOT of Kelly over the years, so my want list is narrowing... although Kelly did an amazing amount of work in comics.

I've also been on an EC kick for the past year and a half or so.  And I've got all the work Kelly did for EC already.

For those of you not aware, that's NOT zero:

Mad_089.jpg

Mad_89_int.jpg

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I really do, Kelly is one of my two all-time favorite comic creators.  But I've gotten a LOT of Kelly over the years, so my want list is narrowing... although Kelly did an amazing amount of work in comics.

I've also been on an EC kick for the past year and a half or so.  And I've got all the work Kelly did for EC already.

For those of you not aware, that's NOT zero:

Mad_089.jpg

Mad_89_int.jpg

Didn't know he did that! Great Mingo cover on that MAD too! If your Kelly comic buying has dried up I'd recommend reading this book if you haven't done so yet.

tn_KellyBook.jpg.jpg.8dd9343a192cae083b439832fb1951ea.jpg

I added another Pogo to my collection, courtesy of the last Hakes auction.  Whenever I buy a new book, I prop it against a bookshelf near my desk for a few days, and every time I look at this cover, I smile.  I've been collecting comic books for 40+ years, and the silly things still make me smile. 

I love this hobby.

Pogo 4 CGC 8.5 Front.png

1 hour ago, mlansdown said:

I added another Pogo to my collection, courtesy of the last Hakes auction.  Whenever I buy a new book, I prop it against a bookshelf near my desk for a few days, and every time I look at this cover, I smile.  I've been collecting comic books for 40+ years, and the silly things still make me smile. 

I love this hobby.

Pogo 4 CGC 8.5 Front.png

Beauty thanks for posting!

On Sundays I try to devote an hour or so to reading something from my collection that I have never read. Today a nice Kelly is on the docket; Animal Comics 17. It has a particularly interesting cover that in some way reminds me of the psychdelic posters that would arrive 20 years later. Between the purple border and that crazy looking tree you have to wonder what's Albert smoking?! John Stanley delivers on the back cover too! Remember Dell Comics are good comics!

Animal17Cover.thumb.jpg.ae2ebeef026ac04ba7fd8b4d467a3742.jpg

Animal17Back.thumb.jpg.3bef8841f66ec4daad6dbe8d6ff8a771.jpg

3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

On Sundays I try to devote an hour or so to reading something from my collection that I have never read. Today a nice Kelly is on the docket; Animal Comics 17. It has a particularly interesting cover that in some way reminds me of the psychdelic posters that would arrive 20 years later. Between the purple border and that crazy looking tree you have to wonder what's Albert smoking?! John Stanley delivers on the back cover too! Remember Dell Comics are good comics!

Animal17Cover.thumb.jpg.ae2ebeef026ac04ba7fd8b4d467a3742.jpg

Animal17Back.thumb.jpg.3bef8841f66ec4daad6dbe8d6ff8a771.jpg

I think the back cover is Kelly, not Stanley; but I could be wrong.

This issue is short- only 36 pages including the cover- but other than the text story and Uncle Wiggly it's pretty much all Kelly.  Enjoy!

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think the back cover is Kelly, not Stanley; but I could be wrong.

This issue is short- only 36 pages including the cover- but other than the text story and Uncle Wiggly it's pretty much all Kelly.  Enjoy!

I see where GCD credits most of the issue to Kelly other than Uncle Wiggly but I certainly don't think so on the back cover. I'll need to look at the other stories to see if they have his flair. And yes it is a thin book!!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs