• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Lady in White Journal

161 posts in this topic

Here is a Charlton attempt, not as impressive as DC but cool none the less.

DSC01166.jpg

Interesting. This is a reprint of one of the covers I posted the other day, but on the original her dress is red. Ditko is always cool.

By the way, someone has some nice looking copies of those two Grimm's Ghost Stories issues in one of the sales threads, very cheap, like $6 each:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5516388#Post5516388

I saw them pop up in the sales thread... very timely... I need to do some more research into these "non-big two" titles... Im curious about where they fall into the "Gothic Horror" era of 70s horror comics...

great one Eerie, I was thinking in phase 2 I needed to start delving into the Magazine side of things... wish there was a stately manor in the background... but otherwise its from the right time period (1973) and even is by Gray Morrow, who did one of my already collected House of Secrets covers!

Waiting for a few slabs to arrive in the mail, but happily got these reader copies today via a sale here on the boards!

031512160546.jpg

HOS 91, 94 & 95....

An Adams, a Wrightson and a Cardy

talk about your talented threesomes!

I see you have Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #5 on your list, but how about #6?

Thought about that one... definitely horror, but don't feel like its "Gothic" horror....

If the damsel was running away it might be close... if it was by one of the Gothic artists's it might get in, but Alan Weiss is not on my list anywhere....

USPS was nice to me this weekend... three new arrivals. Look for writeups over the course of the week!

Two Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love issues (an Adams and a Jeff Jones) and a Signature series HOS 90 signed by Adams and Buckler!

newbooks.jpg

Nothing high grade, but a nice starting point for my collection....

The Dark Mansions came from Bob Stoms over at highgradecomics.com. Nice guy to work with, and got my books out before he left for Wondercon...

Well I got my company bonus and decided to spend a tiny bit on books (and the rest to be responsible and pay bills) Picked up two Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love titles from highgradecomics.com. High grade copies of these books are popping for hundreds, so I had to go mid-grade on these for my first copy of each book. Once I fill out my set I hope to go back and start upgrading... I just have the itch to get a copy of each book before starting to slowly buy the higher grade versions as they slowly re-appear on the market.

After adding my first Sinister House a few weeks back, I've now got a few Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love titles as well. Dark Mansion covers were exceptionally dark and foreboding, all being painted covers largely following closely to the Gothic motifs.

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #2 has a cover date of November/December 1971. Neal Adams did the cover and hit ALL the gothic high points you would want from a cover artist master.

With that background lets look at the cover elements in Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #2

• Our cover revolves around the iconic Lady in White, who is on the run from a shadowy thread.
  • We one again have the standard architectural component. A nicely rendered mansion (a'la the title) in the background. Victorian (I think) in style.
  • Our lady in flowing white, very reminiscent of the HOS 88 Lady in White, is on the run, apparently from a shadowy figure behind her.
  • The book uses a strong purple tone giving some color to the mostly black and white composition of the book. Also for motif we see the same yellow used in the title, our damsels hair, and the single lit window (top story) in the house.
  • I like the additional architechural element of the large stone marker on the right side of the page. Some sort of figure atop it, which I first thought was a dog, but with the long tail appears to be something more gargoyle-y in nature.
  • The left side of the page is lined by a large tree, providing (along with the marker on the right) a nice framing device for our lady in white.
  • Our damsel's white night gown has such motion captured in the brush strokes of Adams.
  • The threat standing behind our Lady in White is a shadow outline. He appears to wear a hat and an overcoat of some kind.
  • The purple skies and overall purple tone are the most striking part of this cover.

DMoFL2large-2.jpg

This 7.5 obviously has some condition problems, but its a fair entry point for the collection. Wish it had been a little better centered (its a bit off-kilter), but I'm happy to add it to the group!

My last two bonus babies showed up today....

House of Secrets #91 in a 9.2 with a great Neal Adams lady in white cover!

HOS9192ow-1.jpg

Phantom Stranger #26 in a scortching 9.6 with a sweet Mike Kaluta Spawn of Frankenstein cover!

PS2696OW-1.jpg

and here's my current group shot (ok its a composite scan...)

LadyinWhitesquare.jpg

My last two bonus babies showed up today....

House of Secrets #91 in a 9.2 with a great Neal Adams lady in white cover!

HOS9192ow-1.jpg

Phantom Stranger #26 in a scortching 9.6 with a sweet Mike Kaluta Spawn of Frankenstein cover!

PS2696OW-1.jpg

and here's my current group shot (ok its a composite scan...)

LadyinWhitesquare.jpg

I really like your collection theme. Original and beautiful

LadyinWhitesquare.jpg

I really like your collection theme. Original and beautiful

Thanks Eerie! The bigger it gets to more I love the theme across the books... to think these covers all came about within a 3-4 year time span from about as many artists...

Just was looking at my books and wanted to side-by-side my first Kaluta (HOM) and my second Kaluta (PS#26)

HOM210frontbig.jpgPS2696OW.jpg

Kaluta does a great Blonde haired Lady in white... for a second thought they were the same lady in the same dress, but at least the dress is slightly different (straps vs no straps, rounded neckline vs plunging). Both are great...

Coming along nicely :applause:

Thanks PoP!

1/2 of my want list is complete (though there's always room for upgrades!)...

Sadly this months CLink auction has exactly zero of my targets, and goes so far as to have the Teen Titan issues before and after the one I need, just not the one I need. :facepalm:

Not long ago I missed on a Night Nurse #4... it was PGXed (translation: raw with a carrying case) but looked like a pretty solid 8.5 or better... I unfortunately did not update my bid and missed my chance to grab it... lesson learned: Bid early and high!