• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Lady in White Journal

161 posts in this topic

Great journal! I like the collecting focus and look forward to seeing more additions to the collection (thumbs u

thanks! its been almost a month since my last addition, and there have been nary a target to surface! A few "upgrade" chances for books I already have, but I wanna finish the set before going there...

Just bought my first raw addition to the Lady in White collection... grade looks pretty strong, we'll see once its in hand. Bought as an 8.5 but I'll :wishluck: that the seller is a conservative grader.

Bottom left corner looks like the only weakness on the front, we'll see what the back and PQ looks like once its in hand.

Unexpected #127 with another great Nick Cardy cover

XF5Re.jpg

Thanks to Shootydog!

Havent posted in a while, so here's a place holder for a full review of Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #3

While it does suffer the Cr-OW designation, its a nice 8.5 otherwise, with pretty good centering.

Full review coming soon. Jeff Jones does his thing!

C9p5w.jpg

There's a Lady and White on the cover of Monsters Unleashed #1

Don't know if you have seen that before.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5781399&fpart=2

Oh yes, I think it's mentioned back around page 3 or 4, but I always thank everyone for pointing out more posibilities...

Its a great cover, if that one was higher grade (two chips are all that dissuade me from buying it one on the reading edge and one on the spine). Gray Morrow, great paintwork, wish there was a mansion in the background to make it more GOTHIC and less straight horror...

but again, thanks for pointing it out. I stared at that book for a looooooong time over in the sales thread.

Well Bernie Wrightson just confirmed for Dragon*con.

The only Wrightson on my list is:

House of Secrets #94

and

House of Secrets #106

happen to be two that have eluded me...

Maybe some high grade raw will come along and be perfect for a SS op...

Well Bernie Wrightson just confirmed for Dragon*con.

The only Wrightson on my list is:

House of Secrets #94

and

House of Secrets #106

happen to be two that have eluded me...

Maybe some high grade raw will come along and be perfect for a SS op...

Actually, I just had Bernie Wrightson AND Alex Nino sign my HOS 106 at Big Wow in MAY. But I didnt' fast track it so I don't know when it will be back. I expect the grade to be 7.5 - 8.5. IF you don't find one you like before your show, feel free to contact me in November or whatever when it comes back. Don't worry I'll post pics in the CGC SS threads. THat is...if I get a high enough grade for you (shrug) we'll see.

its definately close... I already have the two most gothic horror-y Wonder Woman covers (199,200) but this one is third on my list, not quite gothic, but dang close... if the lady was a little more sinister and less cartoony it'd be a slam dunk...

but with that said I may have thrown a "watch it" bid up for this book ;)

First Lois cover and 1967!

b4594ebd.jpg

have you considered this?

its definately close... I already have the two most gothic horror-y Wonder Woman covers (199,200) but this one is third on my list, not quite gothic, but dang close... if the lady was a little more sinister and less cartoony it'd be a slam dunk...

Agreed. If the lady wasn't smiling it would be more Gothic. But having her not appearing in the mirror and it's titled "The Mystery of the House that Wasn't!" seems pretty darn close to a Gothic theme.

Agreed. If the lady wasn't smiling it would be more Gothic. But having her not appearing in the mirror and it's titled "The Mystery of the House that Wasn't!" seems pretty darn close to a Gothic theme.

Yeah its definately on the 2nd round collection list. It just doesnt measure up to the Jones covers from #199 and #200!

First Lois cover and 1967!

b4594ebd.jpg

have you considered this?

are you saying you find marriage to be a horror theme? :D

If I ever decide to collect wedding dress issues, this'd be there though... (dont hold your breath!)

its not quite horror, but it has more of the elements than you think. But I agree its not quite a fit.

Lady in White Dress? Check

Said lady reaching and yelling out for help? Yes and mostly.

Big ominous looking S+M dude standing imposingly directly behind girl? Check.

In or near a church? Check.

Helpless priest who can't do anything to help? Check.

Neal Adams Cover? Its a nice bonus.

From drbanner

House of Secrets #94 CGC 8.5 OW/W

Bernie Wrightson Cover & Art

Greytone too!

This lady in white has gone from being in distress, to being caught!

Not perfectly centered, but this issue comes to market (in HG) so infrequent I couldn't be too picky! Mis-centered top to bottom (cutting off a bit of the HOS Bat)

Basic themes covered:

• Lady in White gown
  • Blonde to boot!
  • The shadowy threat!
  • Architectural Elements abound (Staircase!)
  • Upper left corner gives you a glimpse of a manor in the distance (oh what I would have given for there to be a single little yellow light in one of those windows!)
  • Lower right corner has some sort of seal/grate in the shadows.
  • Bare feet on our lady, adding to her vulnerability

ZrthZ.jpg

So lets check the scoreboard>

Miraclemet's Lady in White

Gothic Horror Check List!

• Batman #227 (purple dress) F/VF

• Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love # 2 CGC 7.5 (OW)
  • Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love # 3 CGC 8.5 (CR-OW)
  • Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #4 CGC 9.0 (OW-W)
  • Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #5

• House of Mystery #210 CGC 9.4 (OW-W)

• House of Secrets #88 VF
  • House of Secrets #89 CGC 8.0 (CR-OW)
  • House of Secrets #90 CGC SS 5.0 (OW) Adams & Buchler signatures
  • House of Secrets #91 CGC9.2 (OW)
  • House of Secrets #94 CGC 8.5 (OW-W)
  • House of Secrets #95
  • House of Secrets #106

• Night Nurse #4

• Phantom Stranger #10 CGC 8.0 (OW)
  • Phantom Stranger #26 CGC 9.6 (OW-W)

• Sinister House of Secret Love #1
  • Sinister House of Secret Love #4 CGC 9.4

• Secrets of Sinister House #5

• Teen Titans #35

• Unexpected #127 VF/NM
  • Unexpected #178

• Wonder Woman #199 CGC 8.5 (OW-W)
  • Wonder Woman #200 CGC 9.0 (OW-W) Slight-Apparent-Trimmed

So with a 24 book target list (and many more on the horizon that are in my 2nd tier of Ladies in White) I've got 13 CGCed books in hand and 3 nice quality raws (VF+ or better for future slabbing) So I've got 16 of 24 collected.

Of the remaining 8 I know where there are high grade copies readily available for 7 of them... the only tough cookie is Night Nurse #4. I got outbid on a PGX 8.5 months ago, and have been kicking myself ever since... not one slab has hit the market since (there's a 9.6 that lives on eBay for $600 (last sold for $331 in 2009) and the couple of raw copies have not even been Fine.

The PLOD Wonder Woman #200 stares at me for upgrading to a blue label, but I'd rather fill my missing books first, but its probably #1 on the upgrade list should a decent looking/decent priced blue label (something in 8.0-9.0 range) show up on the market.

Im sure I'll submit my Batman #227 (for resto check and grading) and my Unexpected #127 (cause they are not common to find slabbed). But I might keep my HOS #88 raw. Its in nice condition (VF+) but is pretty off-center in both directions (angle) so it doesn't present amazingly. I may keep it raw until I can replace it with a nicer presenting one (raw or slabbed). This is another book that doesn't seem to come on the market slabbed very often.