• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

Hey All, :hi:

This Thread will serve as both a place to keep an ongoing list of the Best of Best Sketch Winners and a place to discuss the rules of the Awards.

I want these awards to be as fun and fair as possible. These are for the whole board so everybody's input is welcome. I will guide the process to keep the whole thing flowing along, but if enough boardies want a tweak or change we will put it to a vote. So feel free to post any comments, questions, suggestions, or complaints in this thread.

I also want to thank Lloyd Bailey who designed and produces the Sig line awards. I think they came out great! You rock Lloyd! :headbang:

August 2012 Update :news:

Starpc has taken up the duty of maintaining and improving these awards.

The latest summary of winners can be found here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5939925#Post5939925

Our Winners so far...

Victor Count...

By Artist: eBas: 1 | Mike Lilly: 1 | Clayton Crain: 4 | Leinil Francis Yu: 2 | Clay Mann: 2 | Josh Medors: 1 | Stephen Segovia: 1 | Gabriele Dell'Otto: 2 | Mike McKone: 1 | Ron Garney: 1 | Olivier Coipel: 1 | Sean Chen: 1 | David Finch: 1 | Harvey Tolibao: 1 | Bill Dinh: 1 | John Romita, Sr.: 2 | Tom Raney: 1 | Laura Martin: 1

By Boardie: Par2ch: 2 | Worldsbestcomics: 3 | alphatrion1: 1 | brentio: 1 | GodOfThunder: 1 | Hank Pym: 1 | Secret Son: 3 | wolvie3579: 1 | maddogz: 1 | .Troy: 1 | SpiderJunkie: 1 | Billy the Kidd: 1 | DevilsRain: 1 | wolverinehurdler: 1 | NYComics: 1 | Craider1: 1

cgcaward-thanos2.jpg

Par2ch's Mike Lilly - Crowned 1-8-12

Thanos.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-ghost-small.jpg

Worldsbestcomics' Clayton Crain 3-18-12

UltimateSpider-Man100Crainvarian-1.jpg

Contestants | Finals | Challenger

cgcawardironman.jpg

alphatrion1's Leinil Francis Yu - Crowned 1-21-12

uyt.jpg

cgcawarddeadpool.jpg

brentio's Clayton Crain - Crowned 8-21-12

claytoncrain.jpg

cgcaward-avengers.jpg

Par2ch's Clay Mann - Crowned 2-6-12

mann.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-thor.jpg

GodOfThunder's Josh Medors - Crowned 2-13-12

medors.jpg

Contestants | Finals | Challengers Face Off | Title Match

cgcaward-doctordoom.png

Hank Pym's Stephen Segovia - Crowned 2-24-12

doomsegovia.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-superskrull-1.png

Secret Son's Gabriele Dell'Otto - Crowned 3-1-12

329777e3.jpg

Contestants | Challengers Face Off | Title Match

cgcaward-skrull-2.png

Secret Son's Gabriele Dell'Otto - Crowned 3-4-12

329777e3.jpg

Contestants | Challengers Face Off | Title Match

cgcaward-captainamerica.png

Secret Son's Leinil Francis Yu - Crowned 3-13-12

dac8f770.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-xmenteam.png

wolvie3579's Mike McKone, Ron Garney, Olivier Coipel, Sean Chen - Crowned 3-23-12

x-men%201%20jam%20-%20book%202.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-wolverine.png

mad-dogz's David Finch - Crowned 4-3-12

Dec30th039.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-hulksketch.png

Wolrdsbestcomics' Clayton Crain - Crowned 4-3-12

CrainHulkWolverineECCC2012-1.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-badgirls.png

.Troy's Clay Mann - Crowned 4-19-12

IMG_0984.jpg

Contestants | No final round needed

cgcaward-venom.png

SpiderJunkie's Harvey Tolibao - Crowned 5-8-12

385111_2267557452818_1365018776_32349730_831395588_n.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-blackcat.png

Billy the Kidd's Bill Dinh - Crowned 5-23-12

BlackCatSpideyDinh.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-maryjane.png

DevilsRain's John Romita, Sr. - Crowned 6-7-12

MJ2.jpg

Contestants | Finals

cgcaward-emmafrost.png

wolverinehurdler's eBas - Crowned 6-17-12

IMG_0968.jpg

Contestants | No final round needed | Challengers Face Off | Title Match

cgcaward-spiderman.png

NYComics' John Romita, Sr. - Crowned 8-19-12

ASMSpiderman.jpg

cgcaward-beast.png

Worldsbestcomics' Clayton Crain - Crowned 7-22-12

MarvelsProject1CGC98WSSCrain001.jpg

Contestants | No final round needed

X-23

C-raider1's Tom Raney & Laura Martin - Crowned 8-5-12

X-23coverbyTomRaneycolorLauraMartin2.jpg

Contestants | Finals

Jean Grey* | Contestants | Finals

The Fallen :sorry:

cgcaward-ghost-small.jpg

mad-dogz's Mark Texeira - 1-14-12 to 3-18-12

Jan8th045.jpg

cgcaward-spiderman.png

Peter Palmer's John Romita, Sr. - 7-8-12 to 8-19-12

MarvelsProject1-RomitaSpider-man.jpg

cgcawarddeadpool.jpg

yellow954's Clay Mann - 1-28-12 - 8-21-12

mann.jpg

* = Currently in Progress

I am kind of on the fence with the whole thing now...

Why? Not sure, but so far I have been off on every vote I have made as I try to think of the artist involved in each sketch and no offense, but some of the final cut artists to me don't cut the mustard, even if the book looks great.

That's just me, but I think the line of people thinking about the artist and the grade kind of are out the window also. It might have been the Ghost Rider one, but how in the world Mike Ploog is not 1 of the final 2 (I don't think he was) or Art Adams is beyond me and makes me scratch my head.

Again just me.

I enjoy watching them go up originally, but start to lose interest when the final vote comes down because I am not seeing what others are and this from an Art Major who was force fed that all art is in the eye of the beholder. But simply put I would hope everyone especially involved in this medium can see a Picasso vs the local guy at the Art fair downtown...That to me was always the beauty of sketch covers, rare artist, top notch artist, signature character and graded. It has gone a different direction for me. Again, that is cool if the masses enjoy that and looking for the next rare artist that has been undiscovered, but I have yet to really see any of these undiscovered talents do much more then sketch covers and that worries me.

I could go on, but I think I would hurt feelings of friends and don't want to do it.

Love to all, and no insults towards anyone's collections. I think you guys have some spectacular books, just really starting to lost interest in easy opps from unknowns (maybe this is another subject all together).

Feel free to discuss and maybe I said something someone was hoping to say or thinking.

I would guess people are voting for the sketch they find the most visually appealing. I know that's what I'm doing. I don't care if Mike Ploog or that LongDuckDong guy drew it. If it makes me go, "wow," I'm voting for it.

I am kind of on the fence with the whole thing now...

Why? Not sure, but so far I have been off on every vote I have made as I try to think of the artist involved in each sketch and no offense, but some of the final cut artists to me don't cut the mustard, even if the book looks great.

That's just me, but I think the line of people thinking about the artist and the grade kind of are out the window also. It might have been the Ghost Rider one, but how in the world Mike Ploog is not 1 of the final 2 (I don't think he was) or Art Adams is beyond me and makes me scratch my head.

Again just me.

I enjoy watching them go up originally, but start to lose interest when the final vote comes down because I am not seeing what others are and this from an Art Major who was force fed that all art is in the eye of the beholder. But simply put I would hope everyone especially involved in this medium can see a Picasso vs the local guy at the Art fair downtown...That to me was always the beauty of sketch covers, rare artist, top notch artist, signature character and graded. It has gone a different direction for me. Again, that is cool if the masses enjoy that and looking for the next rare artist that has been undiscovered, but I have yet to really see any of these undiscovered talents do much more then sketch covers and that worries me.

I could go on, but I think I would hurt feelings of friends and don't want to do it.

Love to all, and no insults towards anyone's collections. I think you guys have some spectacular books, just really starting to lost interest in easy opps from unknowns (maybe this is another subject all together).

Feel free to discuss and maybe I said something someone was hoping to say or thinking.

you didnt vote for fred's Yu :o

I have voted the one I would take if they were offered to me and I could just chose 1.

So far from the start I picked the winner of Ghost Rider and Iron Man, and runner up for Perez.

I voted for the Atkin's Deadpool which came in third or fourth I think.

So far I have enjoyed all these, I have also been dissapointed cause I haven't been able to compete, although so far I'd be creamed.

But the one thing I really really like about it, is the sort of silent challenge put out there to the rest of us to up our game. I'm not saying I don't love all my sketches, but when I see a Yu Iron Man, I'm like how can did get, and how do I get one.

Keep up the good work Greedo and everyone else. These have been enjpyable so far.

i know what jj is saying. i thought the ploog ghost rider was amazing. until these threads i had no idea there was even a ploog sketch on a blank.

i did vote for freds yu. it is one of the nicest sketches i have ever seen of any character as far as detail simply amazing.

that said if i was buying one of the iron man sketches from that thread no question i want the romita. but romita is my favorite artist of all time. i dare say at auction the romita would sell for twice as much. with comics or sketches is is always about the value? i dont know. not always to me.

i love these threads though. even though most of my sketches are of just a few characters that i love and it leaves me without sketches of characters to post in the competition. this is a great idea.

I love these awards! It allows votes from the people

20 people voted, here's the book that one the majority, can't get any better than that imo

Just my opinion

+1 (thumbs u

I love these awards! It allows votes from the people

20 people voted, here's the book that one the majority, can't get any better than that imo

Just my opinion

+1 (thumbs u

To be fair we are getting just under 60 votes per poll. :sumo:

and we had 19 Iron Man entries! :grin:

lol

So JJ you didnt' vote for my Ghost Rider? :cry:

I convinced a buddy of mine to get a Tex - Ghost Rider this weekend just by showing him your sketch. It was his 1st sketch cover and it came out great!

love these awards . Beefs up competition and makes collecting sketches funner for everyone .

A lot of great sketches from all of them and yes that iron man was out of control .

can;t wait to see what's next .. keep up the great work !

I'd be interested in knowing what everybody voted for, I don't remember all my votes but I remember a few, Art Adams was my Ghost Rider vote, John Romita Sr was my Iron Man vote, my Thanos vote was Perez, which I expected more votes for - that one blew me away. I don't remember my Deadpool vote. All of them were great though. I was just voting from the perspective that IF I could own one book, which would it be. I took the sketch visually and based on its rarity in mind when voting. I wasn't stricty visually appeal. But that was just me :) I still find it interesting to see the votes, and snuggling that brings the community together, in my eyes, can't be a bad thing.