• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

I'm not so much talking about picking only one as that hasn't really been an issue. Instead, I was just wondering about the whole nomination process. The rules state that you must nominate a sketch along with a picture and the owner. It seems that most have moved away from that and just post any applicable sketches and wait for the owner to be told to pick their favorite.

Again, it's not much of an issue, I'm just a stickler for the rules (see my posts in the "One of a kind" thread. :tonofbricks: )

I do agree that rules should be followed.

I don't think any rules are being broken, anybody can nominate a sketch but the owner does not have to except the nomination.

The intent is to have one owner have one sketch in the poll, which is how it ends up. So I am personaly fine with multiple sketches being posted.

It also has the added benifit of turning these threads into an impromptu Mega threads.

Here are the rules (pulled from the X-Men team challenge as it's the first one I found). Pay special attention to rule #3:

Rules: :rulez:

1) Sketch must contain 3 or more X-Men

2) CGC SS Only

3) If you know of a sketch that you think is the best nominate it. One nomination per board member. Owner with multiple sketches nominated must pick only one sketch to be voted on.

4) When nominating please include artist name and owner's board name.

5) Round 1: all nominated Sketches will be voted on in a Poll. Then the Top 2 will face off. The winner will be declared the Best X-Men Team CGC Sketch!

6) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title in a one-on-one contest. The new challenger must be nominated by 3 board members.

7) What makes the best sketch is up to the voter: Best Art, Artists, Grade…

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how things are actually shaping up as these threads are fun. However, according to the rules, there should be a total of 1 nomination per board member. Looking just at the newest Wolverine thread, there were 7 nominees from the first 3 people to post pictures.

Instead of nominating other books people like (like I did with the Iron Man and the Wolverine threads), most people just put up every eligible book they own (I did this with the Thanos and the X-Men Team threads). I put these examples to show that I'm not wholly against one method. It's just that for some strange reason, it bothers me to have rules posted at the beginning of every thread when nobody adheres to them...again...see the "One of a kind" thread.

I think the original intent was for people to nominate sketches that other people owned just based on the phrasing of the rules. If that has gone by the wayside, so be it. Posting all eligible sketches does make it like a drool-worthy cornucopia of awesome. Let's just change the phrasing of the rules so we're all on the same page.

Again, no big deal. Just kinda rambling for no reason at this point. :ohnoez:

I'm not so much talking about picking only one as that hasn't really been an issue. Instead, I was just wondering about the whole nomination process. The rules state that you must nominate a sketch along with a picture and the owner. It seems that most have moved away from that and just post any applicable sketches and wait for the owner to be told to pick their favorite.

Again, it's not much of an issue, I'm just a stickler for the rules (see my posts in the "One of a kind" thread. :tonofbricks: )

I don't think any rules are being broken, anybody can nominate a sketch but the owner does not have to except the nomination.

The intent is to have one owner have one sketch in the poll, which is how it ends up. So I am personaly fine with multiple sketches being posted.

It also has the added benifit of turning these threads into an impromptu Mega threads.

Here are the rules (pulled from the X-Men team challenge as it's the first one I found). Pay special attention to rule #3:

2) CGC SS Only

3) If you know of a sketch that you think is the best nominate it. One nomination per board member. Owner with multiple sketches nominated must pick only one sketch to be voted on.

5) Round 1: all nominated Sketches will be voted on in a Poll. Then the Top 2 will face off. The winner will be declared the Best X-Men Team CGC Sketch!

6) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title in a one-on-one contest. The new challenger must be nominated by 3 board members.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how things are actually shaping up as these threads are fun. However, according to the rules, there should be a total of 1 nomination per board member. Looking just at the newest Wolverine thread, there were 7 nominees from the first 3 people to post pictures.

Instead of nominating other books people like (like I did with the Iron Man and the Wolverine threads), most people just put up every eligible book they own (I did this with the Thanos and the X-Men Team threads). I put these examples to show that I'm not wholly against one method. It's just that for some strange reason, it bothers me to have rules posted at the beginning of every thread when nobody adheres to them...again...see the "One of a kind" thread.

I think the original intent was for people to nominate sketches that other people owned just based on the phrasing of the rules. If that has gone by the wayside, so be it. Posting all eligible sketches does make it like a drool-worthy cornucopia of awesome. Let's just change the phrasing of the rules so we're all on the same page.

Although I observed this too, I think its more of a "showing off all my cool stuff but I will narrow it down to this one" as far as I am aware you are limited to only 1 personal entry.

2) CGC SS Only

I see the confusion and will adjust the wording on the next thread. When I wrote "one nomination per board member" I meant one sketch per owner in the poll.

I support your rigorous adherence to rules of all kinds.

And all this time I thought you to be an anarchist. :baiting:

i thought the reason we were only showing slabbed books was because its best of the best slabbed cgc sketch.

i didnt think it had anything to do with being authenticated. if you allow hero books then you would have to allow any book that was obviously sketched by said artist.

dynamic forces ungraded sketches or any sketch that you can look at it and tell that it is authentic.

i think we need to leave it at graded sketches or sketches that are being graded.

here's a rule change.......any hero initative CGC or not should be allowed

it's not like there is any doubt that the artist who signed the book did the work or not

The "CGC only" rule is not about authtication, it is because we are on a CGC board and that is how most people in here collect their sketch covers.

it's not like there is any doubt that the artist who signed the book did the work or not

The "CGC only" rule is not about authtication, it is because we are on a CGC board and that is how most people in here collect their sketch covers.

the reason i said this was not everyone who gets these got them graded, then if the person sells it to a collector on the boards i doubt CGC would SS it (JLA books), me personaly if i bought a raw one i would send it to be graded not careing it would get a yellow or green

personaly i don't see why they won't do sketches (asking artist X did you do this after the fact)......but i do understand the reason and am not going to argue it (lol guess i just look at it a different way)

lol i wouldn't mind an all sketch be considered, but i only have about 3-4 raw that i think would be good enough to have any chanch of winning.......hell i only have maybe 10 SS that imo would have a chanch of winning, but i still enter for the fun

was just putting a thought i had about a rule (shrug)

the reason i said this was not everyone who gets these got them graded, then if the person sells it to a collector on the boards i doubt CGC would SS it (JLA books), me personaly if i bought a raw one i would send it to be graded not careing it would get a yellow or green

personaly i don't see why they won't do sketches (asking artist X did you do this after the fact)......but i do understand the reason and am not going to argue it (lol guess i just look at it a different way)

lol i wouldn't mind an all sketch be considered, but i only have about 3-4 raw that i think would be good enough to have any chanch of winning.......hell i only have maybe 10 SS that imo would have a chanch of winning, but i still enter for the fun

was just putting a thought i had about a rule (shrug)

No problem. And I like getting the input. I just wanted to give the reasoning behind the rule.

If there is a huge outcry for all sketch covers to be eligible, we could vote on it. Personally, I am 100% against it and would never vote for one.