• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention Questions

18 posts in this topic

I have never attempted a Signature Series or Sketch through CGC before. I plan on going to C2E2 and I have some questions on the process.

1)Do I simply drop books off at the CGC counter and let them handle it? If not, what is the process?

2)If I want a sketch(blank cover) from an artist do I go to the artist first or CGC? I assume the artist to make sure he has the available time for the sketch. Again am I responsible to be present during the sketch?

3)Is there any type of limitations to who I can get a sketch or sig from that is at the show?

Thanks

I have never attempted a Signature Series or Sketch through CGC before. I plan on going to C2E2 and I have some questions on the process.

1)Do I simply drop books off at the CGC counter and let them handle it? If not, what is the process?Yes if you are going for the SS, just let CGC know who you want signed and they can take care of it. Or you can ask a witness to come with you to witness the creator signing your book

2)If I want a sketch(blank cover) from an artist do I go to the artist first or CGC? I assume the artist to make sure he has the available time for the sketch. Again am I responsible to be present during the sketch? get a spot with the artist first, leave the blank/medium with them. Then get a CGC witness to come with you to pick up the book. as long as it goes from the artist to the hands of a cgc employee, it will qualify for ss.

3)Is there any type of limitations to who I can get a sketch or sig from that is at the show?yes, that limitation is how much money you have.

Thanks

1)Do I simply drop books off at the CGC counter and let them handle it? If not, what is the process?

2)If I want a sketch(blank cover) from an artist do I go to the artist first or CGC? I assume the artist to make sure he has the available time for the sketch. Again am I responsible to be present during the sketch?

3)Is there any type of limitations to who I can get a sketch or sig from that is at the show?

Thanks

WTTBs

#1 First stop at any CON should be the CGC booth. They will explain the process to you. All your books should be prepped (see thread on prepping books) prior to dropping them off at the CGC booth

#2 For the sketches you do not NEED to be present. CGC should be there when you drop off the book and they will need to be there when you pick up the sketch

#3 Only limitations for signatures are that the person signing the book must have some connection to the book. For sketches there is no limitation other then making sure CGC or a CGC CAW is there to see the book dropped off and picked up

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN

Thanks

#3 Only limitations for signatures are that the person signing the book must have some connection to the book. For sketches there is no limitation other then making sure CGC or a CGC CAW is there to see the book dropped off and picked up

That's not entirely correct - there are creators who flat-out refuse to sign books for CGC SS, creators that limit the number of items you can get signed and others who charge extra when they know the book is going to end up inside a CGC slab (like Tony "show me the money" Moore). Your best bet is always to check with the CGC people beforehand :shy:

Welcome to the boards. I'll address these questions.

1) Come to the CGC booth before you get anything signed. We no longer get books signed for people. Starting this year, we will be providing witnesses for people should they want to get the autographs themselves. If people do not want to possibly spend time waiting in lines at shows for celebrities or creators, they will need to submit through a facilitator.

2) You'll need to grab a witness when the piece is completed before you pick it up from the artist. The witness will come and witness the exchange between creator and customer.

3)pretty much what Par2ch said.

1) Come to the CGC booth before you get anything signed. We no longer get books signed for people. Starting this year, we will be providing witnesses for people should they want to get the autographs themselves. If people do not want to possibly spend time waiting in lines at shows for celebrities or creators, they will need to submit through a facilitator.

2) You'll need to grab a witness when the piece is completed before you pick it up from the artist. The witness will come and witness the exchange between creator and customer.

Wow. Had not heard #1 yet, glad I looked here!

Thank you! I was actually going to PM some people with this same set of questions for Boston Comic Con. Know about it, but wanted to make sure.

Do most "Con Sketches" happen before hand? Does an artist get contacted before a con for a commission, then brings it to the Con for the buyer to pick up by/with a CGC Witness. After reading some posts this seems to happen quite a bit. Is this the perferred way for most artists and/or just a way to make things easier to set up for all parties involved.

most sketches that are picked up at cons happen at cons.

you can contact an artist and then mail them blanks to be sketched and then have a cgc witness go with you at the con to pick the sketch or sketches up.

the at home sketches will often times be better simply because they have the time to put the extra work in.

anytime i get a sketch even at a con. i let the artist know there is no rush. i can pick it up at the end of the show if i need to. the last thing i want is the sketch rushed and or the book damaged. it seems to mean something to them as well when they know you want the best they have no matter how long it takes.

Do most "Con Sketches" happen before hand? Does an artist get contacted before a con for a commission, then brings it to the Con for the buyer to pick up by/with a CGC Witness. After reading some posts this seems to happen quite a bit. Is this the perferred way for most artists and/or just a way to make things easier to set up for all parties involved.

Personally, I prefer this as I like to plan ahead and definitely know what I am getting at the show. This way I know what I can get during the show. I have been trying to find time to get ready for Boston; I have contacted quite a few artists, many of which got right back to me. I currently have 3 artists working on 5 covers.

If you go this route, definitely find out when you need to get the books to them by. I had to order more blanks and the 3 I have, I guess, contracted with gave me definitive dates to work with.

I like this way as you can see what kind of sketches the particular artist turns out and it may help in narrowing your commission request. Say an artist turns out awesome masked characters; you want a female character. If you try to get it done prior, you can at least have some sort of expectation.

Also, some artists require a paypal deposit or payment in full and others prefer cash at the show so know that some really wont communicate about the particulars until they know you are serious by sending them the money.

Best of luck to you! This is my first year trying to go all out with sketches and I hope to have a great turnout at Boston!

anytime i get a sketch even at a con. i let the artist know there is no rush. i can pick it up at the end of the show if i need to. the last thing i want is the sketch rushed and or the book damaged. it seems to mean something to them as well when they know you want the best they have no matter how long it takes.

That's excellent advice! Thanks for posting that.

Personally, I prefer this as I like to plan ahead and definitely know what I am getting at the show. This way I know what I can get during the show. I have been trying to find time to get ready for Boston; I have contacted quite a few artists, many of which got right back to me. I currently have 3 artists working on 5 covers.

If you go this route, definitely find out when you need to get the books to them by. I had to order more blanks and the 3 I have, I guess, contracted with gave me definitive dates to work with.

I like this way as you can see what kind of sketches the particular artist turns out and it may help in narrowing your commission request. Say an artist turns out awesome masked characters; you want a female character. If you try to get it done prior, you can at least have some sort of expectation.

Also, some artists require a paypal deposit or payment in full and others prefer cash at the show so know that some really wont communicate about the particulars until they know you are serious by sending them the money.

Best of luck to you! This is my first year trying to go all out with sketches and I hope to have a great turnout at Boston!

I hope to be able to do the same for C2E2. My window is rapidly closing but hopefully at least I may get myself added to some commission lists before the show even begins. This will be my first attempt at getting work done on books.

Does anyone know of some great artists that perfer this method and their websites/contact info?

Does anyone know of some great artists that perfer this method and their websites/contact info?

Go to the show's site. They should have links attached to the artists names that would direct you to their respective sites. Bigger name artists (well those that have their own books ongoing) will generally say if they are accepting commissions ahead of time; others might have a blog/comment section that they update; all have a contact email...

If no luck, throw some names out there, or PM, and I can take a look - might have a little bit of time tomorrow during work to play around.