• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fatale Discussion Forum: With Spoilers

68 posts in this topic

Finally caught up and have nothing to add to Julio's discourse. Julio- thanks for some well written thoughts.

I actually like the monthly angle of Fatale. I read issue 3 and then immediately wish that I had a copy or 1 & 2 to read! I'll grab some late prints soon to re-read. To me, that's what great writing does- it makes you pay attention and re-examine what was written before. There are no wasted scenes or throw away lines (unlike, say, 70% of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" novel).

I may share more later, but I don't know what I have to contribute. Again, great write up, Julio.

Ryan

Hopefully other readers can catch something that I've missed. Even their take on what's happened so far would be cool. Otherwise, I feel like I'm just summarizing instead of having a "discussion". (thumbs u

Hmm... Here are some questions to ponder:

1) What was the point of Jo going back to Fresno (if you're from Cali, you may ask why anyone would go to Fresno in the first place)? It seems odd that she'd show up, tell a guy to kill himself and then just leave. It doesn't even seem like she was looking for something. I'm hoping Mr. Brubaker makes some sense of this soon.

2) I remember Jo saying something in issue 1 about men being so dumb and not being able to help themselves. Isn't this kind of unfair considering that SHE'S A FRACKING JEDI?

Finally caught up and have nothing to add to Julio's discourse. Julio- thanks for some well written thoughts.

I actually like the monthly angle of Fatale. I read issue 3 and then immediately wish that I had a copy or 1 & 2 to read! I'll grab some late prints soon to re-read. To me, that's what great writing does- it makes you pay attention and re-examine what was written before. There are no wasted scenes or throw away lines (unlike, say, 70% of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" novel).

I may share more later, but I don't know what I have to contribute. Again, great write up, Julio.

Ryan

Hopefully other readers can catch something that I've missed. Even their take on what's happened so far would be cool. Otherwise, I feel like I'm just summarizing instead of having a "discussion". (thumbs u

Also, your summaries are really useful for me as a reader because you've caught some great details that I missed. Thank you again.

Ryan

Hmm... Here are some questions to ponder:

1) What was the point of Jo going back to Fresno (if you're from Cali, you may ask why anyone would go to Fresno in the first place)? It seems odd that she'd show up, tell a guy to kill himself and then just leave. It doesn't even seem like she was looking for something. I'm hoping Mr. Brubaker makes some sense of this soon.

2) I remember Jo saying something in issue 1 about men being so dumb and not being able to help themselves. Isn't this kind of unfair considering that SHE'S A FRACKING JEDI?

1. lol Fresno smells good in the summer.

I don't think it was out of the blue. If you remember, she burns the house down so I'm thinking that was her purpose there. It was the first place she died at, but I wonder what the significance was of burning the house. The guy that offed himself noticed her previously in downtown and knew where she was going. Her beau was just bait. That's cold, man.

2. Haven't seen it work on the goons.

Well that was a frakin' awesome issue! I was wondering whose blood that was the goon was tasting on the cover this whole time. :sick:

Seriously, i was hoping that the whole baby thing wasn't going to be presented like that...but it was. At least no pics else I would've had to sit down for a moment and shake it off. Dang, Brubaker!

So I guess Jo was in love with Walt then. I want more history on that. I'm sure he was there when it all first started so what the hec happened? And what the hec does she want? A talisman? A key?

The whole Walt history really gave me a little compassion for him. Jeez. Imagine growing up like that. Can't figure out what movie that reminds me of...seeing things like that on a different plane. Poor kid. :(

As for Hank, man I could almost feel him wanting that warmth, that feeling that only Jo could provide. Freakin's has me hypnotized as well. :cloud9:

Bye, bye, Walt.

Indeed. I'm looking for more of Jo and it seems from the cover of the next one that it's her turn. Man, I've been suckerfied by her. lol

It's interesting how Sean leaves the gruesome parts up to the reader withe teasers on the horror. Come on Sean...MOAR gore!

With each issue that comes out, i read it all over again. Freakin' love this book!

Also, what do you think happened to the big boss gangster?

We don't know if he was eaten though. His thugs were, but maybe the Bishop needs him and just wanted to scare the carp out of him. He's a big player and he could come in handy. The Bishop did say that he admired him for who he was and what he did. hm

Wow. That issue was amazing. Happy that I finally read an issue the day it was released (thank you comiXology). Seriously, awesome.

Thoughts- Jo knows Walt from the War. I think this goes back to issue 1 or 2 (and I think Julio brought this up before). Walt seems to be able to see the demons for what they are (while the rest of us cannot). My guess is that they were involved in WWII somehow. Jo was around as well. Walt probably fought against them. I think that's why the betrayal is so crazy because Jo and Walt might have been allies against the demons (and have been hiding ever since). I think that the movie that you're thinking of is the Sixth Sense.

I also think that it's some trinket that Jo wants back.

Also, Mr. Bishop's first appearance is in issue 2 when he meets with Walt. I think it's Bishop who slayed Hank's family (along with friends).

I think that the gangster is demon food as well. I don't know if it's overstepping bounds or if interests have collided. Bishop had a real Michael Corleone "it's not personal, it's just business vibe to him."

Still, all I can say is this: holy . I haven't seen cliffhangers like this since YTLM. Just awesome. You know something crazy is going to happen when Walt tried to get the artifact/whatever back to Jo (you know he's going to do the right thing and it's going to turn out terribly wrong). I want to see how Hank gets out of this (it's going to leave some scar tissue, would be my guess).

Jeff and Julio - thank you so much for keeping this thread alive. Even if it's just the three of us, it's my favorite thread. It's fun to talk about what we are reading.

(thumbs u

And yeah that family thing was brutal. :eek:

Well, I guess now we know who is on the floor to cover $5 and why Jo has a distressed face. What about the knife she's holding? Maybe she slaughter's these cloaked fools for shanking her man. :wishluck:

Every single time I read a new issue of Fatale I get bummed out that this book is going to end with approximately 15 issues. I know I should appreciate what we get to enjoy, but the book is such a great read and I'm selfish. I want more!

Not set in stone.

I can't understand why they wouldn't roll with this book for a few years in light of the monstorous success. Every issue sells more than the last. The first book is on its 4th printing, the 2nd issue is on its 3rd and the 3rd issue is on its 2nd printing. The fans are dying for more!

I think it's dangerous to deviate too much from your plot plan. Brubaker and Phillips have written amazing stuff over the years and they always have a good idea about when the right time to bring a book to an end is. I trust them and would hope that they wouldn't sacrifice the quality of the book for a few more issue. Also, it's not like these guys are going away. There's at least one more Criminal arc coming and I think it's a safe bet that we'll see more Incognito as well (at least Ed seemed to imply there would be at Image Expo).

I think it's dangerous to deviate too much from your plot plan. Brubaker and Phillips have written amazing stuff over the years and they always have a good idea about when the right time to bring a book to an end is. I trust them and would hope that they wouldn't sacrifice the quality of the book for a few more issue. Also, it's not like these guys are going away. There's at least one more Criminal arc coming and I think it's a safe bet that we'll see more Incognito as well (at least Ed seemed to imply there would be at Image Expo). [/quote

I don't want them to deviate from the plot plan. What I'm hoping is that we get another 15 issue arc about another Fem Fatale or someone else who made a comparable deal. I'm sure once we're about 10 issues in we'll have a couple good ideas for how it could be done and I certainly don't have the mind for fiction or creativity that Brubaker enjoys. I am happy to hear that there's going to be more criminal and icognito. Thanks for the info.