• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A book with no staples...

36 posts in this topic

I have a double cover book where the outer cover has no staple holes.

This blows my mind. How could it be a double cover if the cover was never attached?

Here's an example:

I have a Marvel Triple Action #1 double cover; it's a square bound with the inner cover glued to the folios. The outer cover was never glued to the spine of the inner cover.

Both covers show basically the same wear to some degree. Both covers also have the same sized chip in the upper right corner.

Even though the outer cover is not attached, I still consider it a double cover.

I am curious about this as well. Why would a book with no staples get a green label? I always think of green labels as indicating a qualifying condition where the book appears as _._ but because it has a status that is not evident from inspection, it is qualified. Missing staples would seem to be an evident thing that just knocks the grade down. Missing staples in this case are absent but formerly present; printing errors where the manufactured number of staples is non-standard are not being considered here.

I have an already lower grade Amazing Spider-Man 1 that does not have staples and can't really pin down how low the unrestored grade should be. I'd like it at 1.0-1.5 but am worried it is stuck at 0.5 or even 0.5 GLOD, which is really rough.

On 2/6/2012 at 4:25 PM, Whizzer said:

But could you request a blue label and just swallow the grade drop?

I have a GLOD 9.4 with cover off top staple only, what would be the likely universal grade?

Yeah, I know, noob question! :makepoint:

The highest grade I've ever seen for a Universal label book with the cover detached at one staple is 7.0...

On 11/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, PeterPark said:

I am curious about this as well. Why would a book with no staples get a green label? I always think of green labels as indicating a qualifying condition where the book appears as _._ but because it has a status that is not evident from inspection, it is qualified. Missing staples would seem to be an evident thing that just knocks the grade down. Missing staples in this case are absent but formerly present; printing errors where the manufactured number of staples is non-standard are not being considered here.

I have an already lower grade Amazing Spider-Man 1 that does not have staples and can't really pin down how low the unrestored grade should be. I'd like it at 1.0-1.5 but am worried it is stuck at 0.5 or even 0.5 GLOD, which is really rough.

Books where the staples have been removed are treated differently than books manufactured without staples. I would guess that in the case of your ASM #1 it would be considered a Universal .5 as long as there is no restoration or missing parts...

On 11/22/2020 at 8:54 PM, The Lions Den said:

Books where the staples have been removed are treated differently than books manufactured without staples. I would guess that in the case of your ASM #1 it would be considered a Universal .5 as long as there is no restoration or missing parts...

I’m still trying to figure this one out ...

12BAC00C-35E4-4886-851D-DE0E974DF861.jpeg

AF4B6EDB-7038-4B17-9207-FFAB6E7DD0F5.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Lamborghinikid said:

I’m still trying to figure this one out ...

One thing I can tell you is that since the note on the label is written in lowercase letters, the book wasn't meant to be Qualified (unless someone made an egregious error).

So to me, the blue label 4.0 should indicate that the book would have graded substantially higher if the staples were intact and they decided that a blue label 4.0 was better than a higher grade green label. The funny thing is, most of the time books with staple problems do end up Qualified...  hm

7 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

One thing I can tell you is that since the note on the label is written in lowercase letters, the book wasn't meant to be Qualified (unless someone made an egregious error).

So to me, the blue label 4.0 should indicate that the book would have graded substantially higher if the staples were intact and they decided that a blue label 4.0 was better than a higher grade green label. The funny thing is, most of the time books with staple problems do end up Qualified...  hm

I agree with this 100 percent. This book looks like it would have graded somewhere in the 6.0 to 6.5 range if the staples were in tact. The thing that gets me is the notation indicates that the staples were removed , not just missing. To me this should indicate the book is not complete and probably should have received a qualified label no matter what the grade. CGC has historically put a deep emphasis on staples and their importance. This book getting a universal grade with the staples “removed” is a head scratcher for me. 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

2 hours ago, Lamborghinikid said:

I agree with this 100 percent. This book looks like it would have graded somewhere in the 6.0 to 6.5 range if the staples were in tact. The thing that gets me is the notation indicates that the staples were removed , not just missing. To me this should indicate the book is not complete and probably should have received a qualified label no matter what the grade. CGC has historically put a deep emphasis on staples and their importance. This book getting a universal grade with the staples “removed” is a head scratcher for me. 

I looked up some other books with this same aberration and there were a number of books that received a blue label with the staples removed...so it's not as uncommon as it seems.  (shrug)

Here are the grader's notes from my SS12 - blue label with a staple removed.  Didn't notice it was missing when I bought it.  

Bottom Back Cover Small Piece Out Bottom Staple Missing/Removed Center Front Cover Lite Smear Center Front Cover Tracing Right Bottom Front Cover Tracing Top Staple Small Multiple Tear

SS12.jpg