• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acid Free Comic Box Sources?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

If the books are in mylar, will the acid in a non-acid free box pass thru the mylar?

I would think not.

I read that over time it would contribute to the overall deterioration, which was the whole point to this topic. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with the microchamber boxes at the URL below? Any thoughts about it?

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_3/section3_5.htm

Does it offer the same advantages as the paper that goes inside the comics?

The microchamber boxes are made of board just slightly thicker than a fullback. Nothing like the corrugated cardboard used in "standard" comic long or short boxes.

Yes, it offers the same advantages as the paper that goes inside the comics

The way you say that it's "nothing" like the corrugated cardboard, it sounds like that's a bad thing. Is that the case? I would think that since standard cardboard boxes are not acid-free and that microchamber boxes offer the advantage of absorbing acidic pollutants like the paper that goes in the comics, that would mean that the microchamber boxes would be a much better choice. Would you disagree with that statement?

I was pointing out the structural difference between the microchamber boxes and regular comic boxes, not the vast difference in preservation capability, where microchamber wins, hands down.

The picture of the microchamber comic box looks like it might be made similar to a regular short box. Most people look at it and think it is manufactured from a corrugated board. However, since the microchamber board is flat, it does not have nearly the structural strength of corrugated board. The boxes can not be made very large and only hold about 75 books. I would not stack them for any reason.

E. Gerber has emailed me and said they will have the No. 13 boxes back in stock as of Jan 4, 2013. But the new price is $75 for 5 boxes plus at least $15 shipping. So that means at least $90 for 5 boxes. Still cheaper than Bill Cole which has 3 boxes for $58 plus shipping. I have even gone so far as to ask Gaylord for a quote on making some boxes at this size, but they haven't gotten back to me yet with a price. They just cut the boxes with a laser cutter so if they have the pattern in stock it shouldn't be that big a deal. This is a huge price increase for E. Gerber.

Thanks for the tip linky

Although them using something as modern as email in their communications stinks of shenanigans...., :think:

I just got a return pm from a question I asked of Hotflips. It looks like for the gold/silver mylites, magazine boxes are the way to go. I have a few regular comic boxes that just barely fit, but they are the rare exception.

Bazborg

I have my books that are in Gold/Silver Mylites + Gold Archives in a magazine box now, but I don't care for it because there's too much extra room. I was hoping I could find a comic box that would be a better fit for these.

I e-mailed Hot Flips not too long ago and asked them what the inside dimensions of their comic short box was. They responded that it's 13 3/4 x 10 1/4 x 8". If those measurements are accurate that should be big enough to accommodate Gold/Silver Mylites.

I'm planning on ordering more bags/boards from them soon, think I'll try one of these short boxes. If it's not big enough, I guess I'll have an extra ready for my regular size comics. I'll post my results.

Edited by Number 6

I have my books that are in Gold/Silver Mylites + Gold Archives in a magazine box now, but I don't care for it because there's too much extra room. I was hoping I could find a comic box that would be a better fit for these.

I e-mailed Hot Flips not too long ago and asked them what the inside dimensions of their comic short box was. They responded that it's 13 3/4 x 10 1/4 x 8". If those measurements are accurate that should be big enough to accommodate Gold/Silver Mylites.

I'm planning on ordering more bags/boards from them soon, think I'll try one of these short boxes. If it's not big enough, I guess I'll have an extra ready for my regular size comics. I'll post my results.

Hey Number 6, or anyone who's ordered from Hot Flips, how do their boxes work with Gold Archives?

I need more boxes, but $75 for 5 from E Gerber doesn't work for me anymore (although my OCD will go nuts if I have too many more different sizes of boxes).

Bumping this old thread.

I ordered a bunch of archival gray magazine-size storage boxes some ten years ago, and most of my collection is in them. They're great! What's not so great is that over the years my cat used the boxes as a scratching post :facepalm: and some of the fronts and corners look pretty rough.

Just wondering if there are any US sources that still carry them. I specifically need the magazine-size boxes to accommodate books and mylars of varying widths, but I'm having trouble finding them. I believe my original order was from E. Gerber, but the gray boxes they currently carry are 8" wide which are just too narrow. I'm guessing the boxes I need are more like 9" across. Any help appreciated!

Bumping this old thread.

I ordered a bunch of archival gray magazine-size storage boxes some ten years ago, and most of my collection is in them. They're great! What's not so great is that over the years my cat used the boxes as a scratching post :facepalm: and some of the fronts and corners look pretty rough.

Just wondering if there are any US sources that still carry them. I specifically need the magazine-size boxes to accommodate books and mylars of varying widths, but I'm having trouble finding them. I believe my original order was from E. Gerber, but the gray boxes they currently carry are 8" wide which are just too narrow. I'm guessing the boxes I need are more like 9" across. Any help appreciated!

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-7981-comic-storage-box.aspx

Bumping this old thread.

Here's Magazine size:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5867-magazine-storage-box-archival.aspx

Bumping this old thread.

Here's Magazine size:

Man. These are SO exactly perfect except that they don't have handles in the front and back.

It's good to know these are an option (thank you), but I'm still going for the gold. Do these gray boxes exist with handles somewhere?

Bumping this old thread.

Here's Magazine size:

Man. These are SO exactly perfect except that they don't have handles in the front and back.

It's good to know these are an option (thank you), but I'm still going for the gold. Do these gray boxes exist with handles somewhere?

1216792142_HANjJ-XL.jpg

On 12/8/2012 at 6:57 AM, peas-migration said:

E. Gerber has emailed me and said they will have the No. 13 boxes back in stock as of Jan 4, 2013. But the new price is $75 for 5 boxes plus at least $15 shipping. So that means at least $90 for 5 boxes. Still cheaper than Bill Cole which has 3 boxes for $58 plus shipping. I have even gone so far as to ask Gaylord for a quote on making some boxes at this size, but they haven't gotten back to me yet with a price. They just cut the boxes with a laser cutter so if they have the pattern in stock it shouldn't be that big a deal. This is a huge price increase for E. Gerber.

Gaylord stuff is freaking expensive! I even more expensive for custom sizes. Maybe just museums can pay his prices.