• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gil Kane Cover Thread
6 6

627 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Gil Kane is one of my least favourite artists of all time. His characters all look like those poseable wooden figures at art shops, with really weird anatomy. And all those ugly up-the-nose shots + knock-kneed poses.

Sorry guys, I guess I'm probably the only one who feels this way about ol' Gil.

I'd say those are all valid criticisms of Kane's work.

Completely off topic anecdote: I like to go to Star Trek conventions just to tell people how much I don't like Star Trek.

Just now, Ghost Town said:

I'd say those are all valid criticisms of Kane's work.

Completely off topic anecdote: I like to go to Star Trek conventions just to tell people how much I don't like Star Trek.

Actually, I'm here to be convinced that Gil wasn't all that bad after all. His cowboy covers were somehow better than his superhero stuff, probably because he preferred the genre.

But when I look at his cover to X-Men #76, all bets are off.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:00 AM, kustomizer said:

Actually, I'm here to be convinced that Gil wasn't all that bad after all. His cowboy covers were somehow better than his superhero stuff, probably because he preferred the genre.

But when I look at his cover to X-Men #76, all bets are off.

Classic "if you don't like something then why are you here in a thread celebrating that something to comment your extreme dislike as if anyone cares" syndrome  :D

Edited by speedcake

6 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Classic "if you don't like something then why are you here in a thread celebrating that something to comment your extreme dislike as if anyone cares" syndrome  :D

This thread isn't 'We all love Gil Kane's covers' so it's perfectly valid to express my opinion as to why I do not.

Edited by kustomizer

11 hours ago, namisgr said:

The thread is in need of an emotional cleansing.

Not just one of my favorite Gil Kane covers, but one of my fave Spidey covers as well:

ASM104Suscha.thumb.jpg.ece3e7e8c3a7f2716891923a502a0878.jpg

This is such a tough book in high grade.  It's part 2 of one of my favorite Spider-man story arcs.  Beautiful copy!! (thumbsu

Edited by Randall Dowling
dash

On 9/6/2020 at 3:12 PM, speedcake said:

It's heavily implied. Post some of those western covers that you do actually like

I don't know what issue it is, but the one where the cowpoke (one of the Kids) is drinking from a waterhole and a couple of gun-toting owlhoots are reflected in it. I think Kane was even on record as saying it's the cover he was most proud of.

Edited by kustomizer

19 minutes ago, kustomizer said:
On 9/5/2020 at 10:12 PM, speedcake said:

It's heavily implied. Post some of those western covers that you do actually like

I don't know what issue it is, but the one where the cowpoke (one of the Kids) is drinking from a waterhole and a couple of gun-toting owlhoots are reflected in it. I think Kane was even on record as saying it's the cover he was most proud of.

Here you go:

32694903942_895b65f7a5_b.jpg