• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gil Kane Cover Thread
6 6

627 posts in this topic

Great stuff. Lots of memories here.  Amazed at the volume of work.  Also reminds me of how many times I've picked up a book because of the cover just to be disappointed by the interior art.   

23 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Great stuff. Lots of memories here.  Amazed at the volume of work.  Also reminds me of how many times I've picked up a book because of the cover just to be disappointed by the interior art.   

This is so true, I would say most collectors who buy these books do so purely for the cover, I know I do.

40 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Barton, your scanner makes the books look like they should look!

The new holder with the recessed well isn't kind to scanners. I need to make a window around around the book and increase the brightness. But I leave the label as is. Otherwise the book is way too dark while the label looks ok.

I like the sturdiness of the new holder and the enclosed top label. But I don't love the newton rings and extra scanning steps.

26 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

The new holder with the recessed well isn't kind to scanners. I need to make a window around around the book and increase the brightness. But I leave the label as is. Otherwise the book is way too dark while the label looks ok.

I like the sturdiness of the new holder and the enclosed top label. But I don't love the newton rings and extra scanning steps.

I love seeing graded books here, it gives you an idea about CGC and how it grades. I like seeing all the high grades but I learn more from the mid to lower grade books.

1 hour ago, Ghost Town said:

I'll have to see if I can do that. I downloaded the program you suggested, but have yet to pay for it.

33 minutes ago, electricprune said:

I'll have to see if I can do that. I downloaded the program you suggested, but have yet to pay for it.

I don't know if VueScan has the capability of changing just part of the scan. I scan the entire slab with VueScan. Then I use Photoshop to select the book area of the scan and tweak the brightness of just that part.

On 1/31/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ghost Town said:

Some new arrivals, thanks to electricprune (Wes) - the semi-obscure Bronze Age comic book whisperer. Wes isn't semi-obscure, the books are.

26140137898_2749994b6e_b.jpg

39981381832_e2deae7879_b.jpg

39114834505_7c6e9068f8_b.jpg

:applause: