• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gil Kane Cover Thread
6 6

630 posts in this topic

Would I be inciting a riot in this thread if I posted the top ten Gil Kane covers from my collection since they're all from the Silver Age?

???

Not at all! This is a very peaceful thread. And frankly, it could use a little boost of energy.

Alright then. Here in alphabetical order are scans of the top ten Gil Kane covers from my collection:

20-09-201184004PM.jpg

26-08-2012104758PM.jpg

26-08-2012104810PM.jpg

GreenLantern16.jpg

10-06-201245013PM.jpg

14-06-2012114624PM.jpg

13-06-2011105000PM.jpg

12-06-2012110552PM.jpg

13-06-2011105004PM.jpg

15-10-201145652PM.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

hepcat, nice list and I like your GL cover choices... but you missed a great one.

I absolutely hate that cover! I dislike it so much that I only bought the issue to get closer to completing my GL run.

(shrug)

The two that just missed the cut for me were these:

06-08-201182705PM.jpg

25-06-2011101251PM.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

hepcat, nice list and I like your GL cover choices... but you missed a great one.

I absolutely hate that cover! I dislike it so much that I only bought the issue to get closer to completing my GL run.

[bLOCKED]

(sooooo kidding.... do you not like the greytone?)

I like many or even most grey tone covers. Some of the ones I like the most are the Russ Heath Sea Devils covers and many of the war covers.

But with respect to Green Lantern 8, there are three things I don't like:

1. It doesn't fit in with the other covers in the run.

2. The colours don't grab me.

3. Green Lantern himself just looks wrong. His face in particularly seems very poorly drawn.

Edited by Hepcat

These are friggin awesome. :applause:

Thanks, David. I've rarely seen any of these issues of Western Gunfighters for sale in decent shape. I had to buy a huge lot from Heritage to get these. It definitely wasn't very cost effective. But what the heck.

It's interesting to see Kane do his own inks. He had kind of a Terry Austin quality with his finishes. (Al Milgrom inked the #27 but he did a decent job, fortunately.)