• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie #1 Expert Needed
4 4

246 posts in this topic

Just now, N e r V said:

So one of the marks of these replicas is the bald man is correct as in the original but the printing is so poor things like the lines on the roof aren’t there much. These weren’t intended by some sellers to be anything more than copies for collectors to own but I’ve already seen people trying to pass them off as originals like everything else these days. These are super easy to spot though.

Without a doubt, much easier to determine what isn’t real, versus what is real. 

1 minute ago, Stevemmg said:

If you’re talking about the one at $2650 out of Central Islip, I had a pretty horrible experience with him on a Blazing Combat 1 about a year and a half ago. Grossly overgraded,and when I sent him the detailed pictures of his own book with the defects I was pointing out, accused me of switching out his book with another. Even more drama with the return shipping, as he refused to sign for it and then it went missing with the post office. It eventually came back to me, and I let him know. I the told him I would mail it to him again. I had gotten my refund from PayPal at that point. I shipped it again, and he wouldn’t even cover my shipping cost. A real treat to deal with. 

Yeah I was wondering based on his past sales if he even had the background to know if he had an original Eerie #1 or a cheap fake. 
I was thinking of a seller who had a 1968 Sub-Mariner #1 up for sale as a 1941 copy!lol

Hey, shut up! It says right there Subbie #1 on the cover.hm

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I wonder how many of the counterfeits were printed? 

I do know I have more questions than answers for this crazy book.

I dont know if I would pay 4K for an original,  but I did pay a reasonable price for my counterfeit.  So in a way I have sufficed that completist urge in me on my run.

I think you should buy one of the cheap magazine sized replicas for you collection. The printing isn’t great but it’s super cool to own a big Eerie #1!

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I think you should buy one of the cheap magazine sized replicas for you collection. The printing isn’t great but it’s super cool to own a big Eerie #1!

Why? 8 already own one. (shrug)

1 minute ago, Stevemmg said:

At least he admitted that it was his copy when he finally got it back. He made a lot of claims about being a Warren expert, and having all of the rare items. After all that, I was done. 

Usually I’ve found when someone claims to be an expert they’re not.

There are simply some people out there with a bit more knowledge or experience on the subject. 

I try and pick these peoples brains on what they’ve learned and draw my own (changing) conclusions.

2 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Usually I’ve found when someone claims to be an expert they’re not.

There are simply some people out there with a bit more knowledge or experience on the subject. 

I try and pick these peoples brains on what they’ve learned and draw my own (changing) conclusions.

Regarding this particular subject, I think the knowledge here on this forum surpasses any other sources I can think of...  (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Regarding this particular subject, I think the knowledge here on this forum surpasses any other sources I can think of...  (thumbsu

I agree. I know some people do favor opinions over others and we pile on people who don’t provide enough facts when they post things as such but I’ve learned to listen to everyone’s thoughts even if I don’t agree with them because it never hurts to be aware of another a POV. Kudos to boards participants...

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

If this thread keeps one person from getting burned on this book, it's worth it.

Hey Nerv, did you get a chance to check out the Comiclink copy? What did you think of that one? 

Maybe ok. I’d ask questions first.

Right now I’m more comfortable with the answers I got from Comicconnect and Heritage in the past for their abilities in checking the books background. Both have some previous experience selling both.Just not sure about comiclink although I obviously buy from them a lot.

Either way I see it as a case by case basis with liking or not liking the answers I’d get. 

Off title topic one of the exchanges I got today was that about 20% of all the graded Cerebus #1’s are the counterfeit copies. Not sure if that number holds up percentage wise with all copies but that seems like a pretty healthy percent of that book are fake copies. Also that a “name” dealer was trying to sell a counterfeit as original this past year at a con. Observer wasn’t sure if he was dishonest or just unaware of the Cerebus #1 counterfeit. 

If Heritage ever recovers from its malware attack I’ll post their recorded sales of the Eerie #1 ashcan for anyone interested as a reference.

Also figured out what year I bought my first blue staple counterfeit copy. It was around 1982 from a Buyers Guide ad. Took it to SDCC that year and got Archie Goodwin to confirm after his panel that it was the fake from the ads. lol Strangely because of seeing those ads from Warren I became obsessed at finding the counterfeit copy. To a kid reading comics having an illegal comic was just something I had to have. :devil: Wish now I had more time to ask questions brought up here like copies being destroyed, etc... but my teenage self had other interests. :wink:

Sold that copy in the early 1990’s for about $60.00 to a kid that always wanted one.

So Heritage is now no longer hacked.

So it looks like they’ve sold an original copy just 3 times (2006, 2007, 2014) and the blue staple counterfeit 3 times (2007,2007,2012). There was also a lower grade (VF) copy sold in 2018 that may be original but listing was shorter than the rest. Also not sure how many of these are the same copy being resold since I’ve seen that happen a lot due to small numbers available.

Guys I have a copy of this that’s been in my Possession for a Long time. If anyone wants I can take pics Monday and post them here for everyone to see. If I remember correctly mine didn’t have the bald mans head clearly and I don’t remember any blue on staples. Let me know. Thanks 

6 minutes ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Guys I have a copy of this that’s been in my Possession for a Long time. If anyone wants I can take pics Monday and post them here for everyone to see. If I remember correctly mine didn’t have the bald mans head clearly and I don’t remember any blue on staples. Let me know. Thanks 

I would look forward to seeing some pics.