• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie #1 Expert Needed
4 4

246 posts in this topic

I am glad that this thread has gone on with fresh activity. I am mainly an underground collector but the Eerie ashcan is one one of my all time wants. I love the subject and its history but I would never buy a copy (if I could afford it) unless it was it had an ironclad provenance like the one one posted by eccomic (beautiful BTW). I have seen copies sell with the blessing from the "experts" from ComicConnect, Heritage, dealers and CGC consultants. But I would assume that what these groups are doing is just running through the Over Street checks - size, print quality, bald man, roof etc. I do not believe that these checks (even if affirmative) are adequate protection against later date high quality photo reproductions.

When evaluating copies, past discussions in the collecting community sometimes focus on the "print gloss". The premise is that a real printing has a slightly shiny sheen of a litho print, while photo reproductions are more matte. Within my collection of undergrounds I have many examples that run in different directions: matte litho, shiny litho, matte photocopy and shiny photocopy. I believe that there is no useable rule here, except that an "unknown" copy should have the same print sheen as a known first printing (which I have never held). There's still debate whether if Warren actually "litho printed" the ashcan or used some other means available to publishers backs in the mid-60s. Some assume that the ashcan was produced through some other means and draw the conclusion that is the main why the CGC will not certify a copy - even though they certify other photo copied books from around the same era. Many of which were just bought to Kinko's for the "print" run.

Edited by CDNComix

48 minutes ago, CDNComix said:

I am glad that this thread has gone on with fresh activity. I am mainly an underground collector but the Eerie ashcan is one one of my all time wants. I love the subject and its history but I would never buy a copy (if I could afford it) unless it was it had an ironclad provenance like the one one posted by eccomic (beautiful BTW). I have seen copies sell with the blessing from the "experts" from ComicConnect, Heritage, dealers and CGC consultants. But I would assume that what these groups are doing is just running through the Over Street checks - size, print quality, bald man, roof etc. I do not believe that these checks (even if affirmative) are adequate protection against later date high quality photo reproductions.

When evaluating copies, past discussions in the collecting community sometimes focus on the "print gloss". The premise is that a real printing has a slightly shiny sheen of a litho print, while photo reproductions are more matte. Within my collection of undergrounds I have many examples that run in different directions: matte litho, shiny litho, matte photocopy and shiny photocopy. I believe that there is no useable rule here, except that an "unknown" copy should have the same print sheen as a known first printing (which I have never held). There's still debate whether if Warren actually "litho printed" the ashcan or used some other means available to publishers backs in the mid-60s. Some assume that the ashcan was produced through some other means and draw the conclusion that is the main why the CGC will not certify a copy - even though they certify other photo copied books from around the same era. Many of which were just bought to Kinko's for the "print" run.

Some would say the "2nd print" or counterfeit copies with a blue stripe on the staples were actually produced by an employee of Warren who used the same exact printing process as the originals. There's quite a bit of meat to chew on the bone , but once you get down to provenance it's a great book to have if you are a Warren collector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/magazine/265169379870?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F2%2Fe112362.m1951.l1120%2F8%3Fbu%3D43200319615%26segname%3DTE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%26crd%3D20210527090000%26mpre%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F265169379870%26ch%3Dosgood%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F265169379870%26osub%3D592f88fc1f0739de0dd518d4dde9ce8c%7ETE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%7E10001%26sojTags%3Demid%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Curl%3Durl%2Cch%3Dch%2Cosub%3Dosub%26srcrot%3De112362.m1951.l1120%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3Daee84dbc1790a7650b92b942ffea0a20&ul_noapp=true&pageci=7e7c04b9-7cb5-473a-8ff8-5d3a6842157e&fbclid=IwAR0fxi0mFiqhLD1k3dCev4ABG4i21ps4fi8nCsYmgRfk4LT1k0L3LWoLB8k

From the listing: 

EERIE #1, the tiny first issue of Jim Warren's magazine (5 inches by 7 inches), in like new condition.  Three small dots on the cover, which should be visible on the scan. 

I wrote the first story in this magazine, and will sign it if wanted (on the splash page of the story, not the cover) or not sign it, whichever you prefer.

Archie Goodwin asked me if I wanted a second copy when he gave me this one, and I wish I'd said yes because it's become a true rarity. 

But it's time to pass it on.  I've put a high price as the minimum bid.

I have received two questions, and requested eBay to print both the questions and answers on this listing, but they didn't do it.  So I'm going to try to remember the questions, one of which came from Todd.  He wants to know if this is a first edition.  It is.  He says the lines on the roof on page one shouldn't be broken.  I can't see any broken lines on the roof.  He says that in page 18, the 5th panel, there's a man in the upper left that you can't see.  I can't find a man in the upper left that you can't see.

Another question is Am I Bill Pearson?  Yes, I am Bill Pearson.  I also wrote the first story in the first issue of Creepy.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/magazine/265169379870?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F2%2Fe112362.m1951.l1120%2F8%3Fbu%3D43200319615%26segname%3DTE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%26crd%3D20210527090000%26mpre%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F265169379870%26ch%3Dosgood%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F265169379870%26osub%3D592f88fc1f0739de0dd518d4dde9ce8c%7ETE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%7E10001%26sojTags%3Demid%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Curl%3Durl%2Cch%3Dch%2Cosub%3Dosub%26srcrot%3De112362.m1951.l1120%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3Daee84dbc1790a7650b92b942ffea0a20&ul_noapp=true&pageci=7e7c04b9-7cb5-473a-8ff8-5d3a6842157e&fbclid=IwAR0fxi0mFiqhLD1k3dCev4ABG4i21ps4fi8nCsYmgRfk4LT1k0L3LWoLB8k

From the listing: 

EERIE #1, the tiny first issue of Jim Warren's magazine (5 inches by 7 inches), in like new condition.  Three small dots on the cover, which should be visible on the scan. 

I wrote the first story in this magazine, and will sign it if wanted (on the splash page of the story, not the cover) or not sign it, whichever you prefer.

Archie Goodwin asked me if I wanted a second copy when he gave me this one, and I wish I'd said yes because it's become a true rarity. 

But it's time to pass it on.  I've put a high price as the minimum bid.

I have received two questions, and requested eBay to print both the questions and answers on this listing, but they didn't do it.  So I'm going to try to remember the questions, one of which came from Todd.  He wants to know if this is a first edition.  It is.  He says the lines on the roof on page one shouldn't be broken.  I can't see any broken lines on the roof.  He says that in page 18, the 5th panel, there's a man in the upper left that you can't see.  I can't find a man in the upper left that you can't see.

Another question is Am I Bill Pearson?  Yes, I am Bill Pearson.  I also wrote the first story in the first issue of Creepy.

I saw that too. If only the scans were better, or better yet Bill Pearson actually holding the book in a photo.

17 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I saw that too. If only the scans were better, or better yet Bill Pearson actually holding the book in a photo.

I'm pretty certain this is legit (as far as it being Bill Person). J Spurlock (from Vanguard publishing who put out the new Frazetta art book) actually posted the ebay link on Facebook and he is friends with Bill. 

47 minutes ago, wombat said:

I'm pretty certain this is legit (as far as it being Bill Person). J Spurlock (from Vanguard publishing who put out the new Frazetta art book) actually posted the ebay link on Facebook and he is friends with Bill. 

Then it's got great provenance.  Are you gonna grab it? 👍

8 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Then it's got great provenance.  Are you gonna grab it? 👍

I would not have posted it if I was going to bid on it. :makepoint:

Its cool, but not $900 cool. At least not at this point in time. 

22 minutes ago, wombat said:

I would not have posted it if I was going to bid on it. :makepoint:

Its cool, but not $900 cool. At least not at this point in time. 

But if you could get him to talk with CGC and verify it provenance and also fill out a creator's form and get it CGC and Signature Series ( like the way they do with the TMNT #1 ) then would it be $900 + shipping & grading fees cool?

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

But if you could get him to talk with CGC and verify it provenance and also fill out a creator's form and get it CGC and Signature Series ( like the way they do with the TMNT #1 ) then would it be $900 + shipping & grading fees cool?

I highly doubt CGC would ever grade this no matter who said what. And I would rather poke out my own eyes than try and even have this discussion with CGC and then probably wait a few years before they were done grading it. 

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

I highly doubt CGC would ever grade this no matter who said what. And I would rather poke out my own eyes than try and even have this discussion with CGC and then probably wait a few years before they were done grading it. 

I completely understand.  Just saying that if they did decide that they would allow these only to be graded after verification by one of the original creators ( like they do with the TMNT #1 ) then that may be one of the best reasons for this to sell. As well as make the value of others increase as they would then have a path to have they verified and graded.  Would also mean some business for Bill Pearson or Warren for verification.

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Looks like someone is going to be happy. There is a bid on it. 

Provenance is great if that is Bill Pearsons ebay account. In fact if I were the buyer I would request Mr. Pearson to throw in some kind of letter explaining provenance of the book.

10 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Provenance is great if that is Bill Pearsons ebay account. In fact if I were the buyer I would request Mr. Pearson to throw in some kind of letter explaining provenance of the book.

Totally agree. With a picture of him holding the letter. 

16 hours ago, oakman29 said:
18 hours ago, wombat said:

Totally agree. With a picture of him holding the letter. 

Yep. That would settle all doubts. 👍

... a thumbprint on the letter in a mixture of ink and saliva may also help to "seal" the deal. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu