• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

_57_1.jpg

Is this a Adventures of Superman #498 5th printing? I didn't see any mention of it in this thread.

It was in an eBay listing that ended close to $100 for a sealed pack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Sealed-1993-DC-Collectors-16-Pack-Death-of-Superman-Doomsday-Funeral-Steel-/261885723852?nma=true&si=QK1odFtOSk3s1VJ5HnPzodZw2oI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

4th print. Being the funeral AND the doomsday run in the same pack with later prints, buyer has a good shot at a Mos 18 4th/5th.

It was a MOS #18 5th print

_57_1.jpg

Is this a Adventures of Superman #498 5th printing? I didn't see any mention of it in this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Sealed-1993-DC-Collectors-16-Pack-Death-of-Superman-Doomsday-Funeral-Steel-/261885723852?nma=true&si=QK1odFtOSk3s1VJ5HnPzodZw2oI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

4th print. Being the funeral AND the doomsday run in the same pack with later prints, buyer has a good shot at a Mos 18 4th/5th.

I just assumed it wasn't the 4th because the logo looks orange as opposed to the typical yellow of the 4th print. Wonder if it was a printing error or just something the seller did to the color in the picture?

_57_1.jpg

Congratulations! (thumbs u

_57_1.jpg

Thanks... I was really excited when I found a MOS #20 2nd print.

Edited by fufat70

_57_1.jpg

Congrats!

Did the pack contain an AC #686 2nd and AOS #499 3rd? If so and you don't need or want them I would be happy to trade or buy them from you.

_57_1.jpg

Congrats!

Did the pack contain an AC #686 2nd and AOS #499 3rd? If so and you don't need or want them I would be happy to trade or buy them from you.

Thanks, but unfortunately both of those books weren't in the pack. I was hoping that they were but nonetheless I'm happy with what I found.

I will continue to resurrect this thread every once in a great while when I get something worth sharing.

I know I've shared this one before but I finally got the 5th and final signature for it and kept the grade despite being cracked 4 times!

hYg0Z0J.jpg

Also very happy with these two:

ENdrY3n.jpg

zrIukGs.jpg

I still don't know if this one belongs in this set but I do like the different cover art:

h65r3Rd.jpg

Edited by WordSlinger

I will continue to resurrect this thread every once in a great while when I get something worth sharing.

I know I've shared this one before but I finally got the 5th and final signature for it and kept the grade despite being cracked 4 times!

hYg0Z0J.jpg

Also very happy with these two:

ENdrY3n.jpg

zrIukGs.jpg

I still don't know if this one belongs in this set but I do like the different cover art:

h65r3Rd.jpg

:headbang:

Here's one that I still don't know anything more... does anyone here?

(It has been a long time since I posted this one...)

It's a Superman #75 Platinum, signed by Brett Breeding (prior to CGC), so it gets a green label.

0033137011_1200.jpg

HOWEVER... it was manufactured with an "A" in the serial number (which I assume means "autographed")

and the serial number is higher than 10,000 (it's 10,921).

0033137011b_1200.jpg

My theory is that there are 10,000 copies of this book, serial numbers from 01001 to 11000, and that perhaps the last 100 copies are "A" with autographs (such as this 10,921).

Can anyone confirm (or prove false) the idea that there are no serial numbers below 01001?

Does anyone know of a serial number higher than 10,000 which does/doesn't have the "A"?

A friend of mine once pointed out that if Armageddon does come, he would put on all of the superheroes undergarments.

Think about it, in all the comic books stories, they're underwear is the most impenetrable suits that they would have.....

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

My interest has been dormant for a few years, but the multiple printing excitement has re-awoken in me.

We all know about the interest in high grade copies of MoS 17 and 18, and #19 has been doing well in terms of high grade sales according to GPA for the last three yeas. I'm now curious about the 3rd print of MoS 19.

The census as of this writing lists 3 universal copies in 9.8 and 2 in 9.6, only one signature in 9.0.

Could #19 3rd be considered in the ranks of #18 4th and 5th printings? Information seems sparse on print run numbers past first prints, there is also the factor of interest or demand. A #19 3rd in 9.8 sold for over $200 in September 2014, but that's only one example and I haven't seen yet what raw copies are doing online.

(shrug)

It's a tough book, to be sure, but not as tough as some. I wish there were records on when they printed each one, and to what numbers, but I suspect not even DC archives has that information. Nobody cared.

:(

The only thing we can really surmise is that the DCU printings were printed in the Jan-94 to Oct-96 time frame, when the other DCU versions were being printed.

There's a raw one for sale on eBay, though, for $80, which seems a bit high, but not out of reason.

However, another copy just sold for $6, another for $10, and another for less than $20.

I suspect most of the copies are still sitting in the Doomsday boxes.

I added items from my list to the original info. Many have appeared here in the

additions. What remains

SM 75: there were newsstand variants with Roman numerals "II," "III," and "IV."

JL 70 also had a newsstand variant.

As far as we have been able to determine, there was NO second printing

of Adv SM 499 and the "III" was an error in production. (Incidentally,

that is the only one I am still missing. Thanks for the 2 pack info.)

howabout superman 73 1st and 2nd print? Those are the doomsday fist apps too, are they not?