• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

Any idea what the print run was on the two platinums ... I'm pretty sure I have a couple copies of each of the platinums somewhere. Like everyone else, I have more copies of the regular issues than I should and would like to forget that I didn't sell them way back when they were going for top dollar.

I think this is a good time to ask if anyone has the following SS 9.8

Man of Steel #18

Action Comics #684

Please lemme complete my collection

Hahahaha!

You're probably going to have to wait till June for that Action 684. Guice is gonna be at Heroes Con. There are only 3 9.8s out there.

I think this is a good time to ask if anyone has the following SS 9.8

Man of Steel #18

Action Comics #684

Please lemme complete my collection

Hahahaha!

You're probably going to have to wait till June for that Action 684. Guice is gonna be at Heroes Con. There are only 3 9.8s out there.

Thibert and Stein would do too

I know the inside of the book has a thank you to retailers (I think it is this book). I also know that some were given out in the letter columns in these issues in place of the normal price which was a Baldy if I am not mistaken.

Print run on 75 platinum was 10,000. Not too sure on the 500.

Was it a retailer incentive based off orders? I remember my friend had to buy like 50-100 Sups 75 to get a platinum I think it was 50.

This is what I found in a Comic Buyers Guide from early December 1992. Not sure if this accounts for all 10,000 of the issues but it appears they were given out free.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

I finally found a Legacy of Superman 2nd Print. Only the second copy i've seen for sale in 5 years. Even received a nice thank you from seller:

"Thank you. Nearly a hundred of these comics were about to go into a friends woodburner. Look for more to come from 1st.bird. What doesn't sell is being trashed. Hope you enjoy your purchase."

At least I know why its so hard to find the later printings.

Photobucket

Superman 75 Plat 9.8 Jurgens sighting on eBay right now. I think seller got it at MegaCon's on-site grading. $1100. I'd jump on it but I'm waiting for the 3 I subbed fast track.
Isn't this one of these books that will most likely be cheaper down the road?

It's been out for 20 years so probably not going to drop all that much.

Its already dropped quite a bit. The first 9.8 universal sold on ebay for $1500, now there's one for $500 and its been re-posted a few times without a bid. As much as I would love to believe that a Jurgens sig brings the value up to $1199.00, it does not.

I know it will depend on that but I do not see the market being flooded with them. Only GPA on a 9.8 SS was back in 2010 for $1000. Universal 9.8's are 450ish all day long too.

Edited by svndst1030