• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONTEST BOOKS

118 posts in this topic

just more self indulge post :grin: but the item below all the PQ pics is this magnificent book.

I can say bar none for me as a collector that started to buy books off the rack in 1981, nothing was as exciting as this Thor run. This was my favorite run off the rack by a long shot. I may love the X-men more but the issues post 1981 was no where as good as the back issues with Byrne and Claremont that I bought later. Thor 337 was the only book I bought more than one copy. I knew I would read the original to death so i had to to back to the LCS and bought a 2nd copy to save.

Simonson style may not be for everyone but I put him on top of my wish list to meet one of these days.

THOR.JPG

If I had my wish, I would like IDW to put out a book of Weapon X by Barry W.

(worship) I just read this run in the Omnibus.....never really liked Thor too much growing up but as of recent I have completely changed my mind and regret not reading Simonson's Thor run sooner! I LOVE it!! What is this book pictured??

Now back on topic, looks like a good group of books pictured to grade. I will be watching! (thumbs u

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/1820/

such gorgeous full size as the original arts so you can truly appreciate the beauty if you are a Simonson fan.

I highly recommend getting a copy if you are fan of this run. I got this from EBay less than retail so keep your eyes on Ebay for a good deal.

I like this version better than this version. If the Artist edition has the Beta Ray Bill smashing cover, I would have forked out the extra $$/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item231707dc56&item=150710246486&nma=true&pt=US_Comics_Graphic_Novels&rt=nc&si=ctnxaNLwgefUV7inuX9dJLTWcJk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1514wt_907

d) RULE #4 . Any questions about any books MUST be posted here so if you want to point out flaws that other might missed, then it is up to you.

*phew* glad I didn't PM you before I got to the end. lol:tonofbricks:

Just one question on book 15 - Supes 16 - Was the cover still attached at one or both staples?

Hard to tell... :popcorn:

I got the spreadsheet but I have no desire to share it yet.

why? the books aren't even at CGC yet and we have 5 to 6 months or even longer to know the result so there is really no need to get the scores back any times soon.

absolutely.

a) But they are not even submit yet.

b) I am waiting for CGC to send me my renewal package with 4 free submissions this week so I can use those coupons for a few books.

c) I am submitting a lot more books that what I used here for the contest so I am still narrowing down the master list as we speak. I could list all the books in the contest but how many 9.8 do you care to see in the contest?...plus I wouldn't want to "show off" my action 1 or other high prized books I am submitting....Just kidding of course. :roflmao:

the days they are graded is the days the contest is over..even before they hit the census. When the time is near, I will announce that all the entries must be in by xxxx date and the then the contest is closed and we all just have to sit and wait for the final result.

p.s. I can throw a few more books in the contest if the mass like to see more. I scanned a few more already so it is just a matter of how much is enough.

ok, after toying around with Excel, I decided it is easier to do it this way below

for anyone that want to play, when it is time to submit your entry, just copy and paste below into a PM, fill out the info and send me a PM.

the format for each entry is BOOK = GRADE,PQ,ROBOJO33

there is only one robojo33 book in the list so ENTER 0 or leave it blank is fine. For the one book you think is the Robojo book, enter in the grade you think he sold it as.

feel free to ask any questions here but I think it is fairly straight forward with the example below. PQ can be cap or lower case...doesn't matter. the most important thing is the COMMA between the grade and the PQ and no space.

BOOK =GRADE,PQ,ROBOJO33

0 EXAMPLE =8.5,W,0

1 AVENGERS 14 =

2 AVENGERS 38 =

3 AVENGERS 40 =

4 AVENGERS 93 =

5 TALE OF SUSPENSE 48 =

6 FANTASTIC FOUR 46 =

7 CAPTAIN MARVEL ADV 29 =

8 ASM 61 =

9 ASM 59 =

10 X-MEN 4 =

11 ASM 8 =

12 ASM 45 =

13 X-MEN 38 =

14 SUPERMAN 12 =

15 SUPERMAN 16 =

16 TALE OF ASGARD 1 =

17 SILVER SURFER 1 =

18 HOUSE OF SECRETS 92 =

19 METAL MEN 1 =

20 SUPERMAN'S JIMMY OLSEN 134 =

21 TALES TO ASTONISH 90 =

22 MARVEL PREMIERE 15 =

23 X-MEN 137 =

24 TALES TO ASTONISH 86 =

25 DAREDEVIL 38 =

26 JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 101 =

27 BATMAN 189 =

28 ASM 52 =

29 MARVEL TEAM UP 16 =

30 ASM V.2 36 =

31 WEIRD WAR TALES 20 =

32 ALL STAR WESTERN 10 =

I AM PLANNING TO DROP OFF THE BOOK AT CGC NEXT MONDAY

I will announce when submission will start and when it will end.

as far as PQ, the reference book used is SNOW WHITE. You are not going to find many books that are whiter so just because the page of another book is slightly darker in shade, don't tag it as ow or cream.

Below is one of the few slabs I cracked out. This book got OW and it is quite "brown" so use this also as a reference point. My luck, if I resub this book, it might get cream to ow :tonofbricks:

DSC00306.JPG

That's OW.

You are using a modern-back then the comics didn't have high quality paper so no books ever started off as pure white as a modern.

Also how do we abbreviate PQ?

W = White

What about all the others; OW/W OW CR/OW Lt/OW etc...

PQ can be abbreviated and use the word TO or to or To or tO instead of "/"

the book on the bottom is not modern by the way, it is a bronze 1979 book and I am pretty sure I have a few silver age book that is that white....nonetheless, it is snow white as I mentioned so all contestants should lower their standards and not automatically ding some of the books here just because it is a shade or 2 below the benchmark.

One player already submitted the grades :o(worship)

Hey there,

I have a question about -- 4 AVENGERS 93. After reviewing this thread again, I am pretty sure I am allowed to ask this. Is the horizontal defect in the TL corner of #4 AVENGERS 93 a rip and we are seeing some of the books interior pages through it?

Thanks for any clarification!

That's OW.

You are using a modern-back then the comics didn't have high quality paper so no books ever started off as pure white as a modern.

I don't know about that. I have a GI Combat in the 130s with snow white pages.