• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Pressing Question

114 posts in this topic

As one who has been away from the Boards for most of the past two years, I'm fairly amazed how far the Pressing debate has advanced. I never thought I'd see the day when the purchasing of actual presses would be discussed so openly.

I almost feel sorry for the pressing is resto crowd as that train seems to have long left the station. Oh I know that more pressings won't change their position about the resto aspect, but it's gotta hurt to see so many folks discussing actually doing it themselves. My 'ol buddy RedHook would be having a conniption about now...

And, it seems there is a new breed of Noobie (a fair number in this thread) who are not afraid to take on the "Establishment"...Interesting times...

You may be really shocked by all the other restoration that can still get a blue label that is going on. It is really quite a shame, but it is the new world post CGC :sorry:

I'm quite interested in this - care to enlighten me??

My 'ol buddy RedHook would be having a conniption about now...

hm

Don't know about the conniption part, but if RH were here his comment would probably go something like this:

"So now we have a new breed of opportunists denying pressing is restoration so they can forgo disclosure in order to make a profit. It's a circular debate at this point. And that's exactly what I don't need distracting me anymore. So I'll sum up my point of view regarding this form of manipulation with an illustration..."

pancake2.jpg

"So now we have a new breed of opportunists denying pressing is restoration so they can forgo disclosure in order to make a profit. It's a circular debate at this point. And that's exactly what I don't need distracting me anymore. "

Let's translate, shall we...

"So now we have a new breed of hobbyist disseminating the information on whether pressing is restoration and whether they should disclose when selling comics. It's an open debate of which I am no longer a part of because my viewpoint is so narrow. I can't win. And that's exactly what I don't need distracting me anymore."

I'm sure every professional presser/restorer has read the book "Preservation and Conservation for Libraries and Archives." It tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about pressing documents, restoring documents and conserving documents.

It talks about dry mount presses, temperature, silicone release paper, when to add humidity to a document and how to do it. Everything used to press a document is used to press a comic. If you're serious about it, Google the book and dabble away.

I'm sure every professional presser/restorer has read the book "Preservation and Conservation for Libraries and Archives." It tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about pressing documents, restoring documents and conserving documents.

It talks about dry mount presses, temperature, silicone release paper, when to add humidity to a document and how to do it. Everything used to press a document is used to press a comic. If you're serious about it, Google the book and dabble away.

(thumbs u

What about all the weekend warriors around these parts? (shrug)

What about all the weekend warriors around these parts? (shrug)

Well, it's very simple to study something and keep practicing. All it takes is some time and dedication. :baiting:

I have dabbled with a press and figured it wasn't for me so I leave it to the pros. Speaking of that I still need to get a batch of books ready to send to Mike.

You may be really shocked by all the other restoration that can still get a blue label that is going on. It is really quite a shame, but it is the new world post CGC :sorry:

+1

Wow. Just...wow. :eyeroll:

Any thread I tried to pull up that would help shed light on your question gets "Access Denied".

The thread where, after several years of heated debates, CGC admitted disassembly and reassembly of a comic "might not be counted as restoration"... Access denied

"Manufactured Gold"... Access denied

"Manufactured Gold...the actual books"... Access denied

I'm not even going to bother with paper-tucking reattachments or vintage staple swaps. Odds are those threads don't exist anymore either.

So never mind. Nothing to see here. Blue is blue, that's all the due diligence you need. (thumbs u

+1

Any thread I tried to pull up that would help shed light on your question gets "Access Denied".

The thread where, after several years of heated debates, CGC admitted disassembly and reassembly of a comic "might not be counted as restoration"... Access denied

I'm not even going to bother with paper-tucking reattachments or vintage staple swaps. Odds are those threads don't exist anymore either.

So never mind. Nothing to see here. Blue is blue, that's all the due diligence you need. (thumbs u

So let's translate, shall we...

Remove, redact, sanitize, censor or digitally erase information for the purpose of selective disclosure so that it cannot be distributed to or influence a newer audience.

You're spot on, Kevin. Information disseminating be damned.

The debate is turning one-sided as more and more informational threads that provide insight are being eliminated from public view.

Here are a few more threads that have received the Coe Cover-Up:

"Jason Ewert gets busted trimming comics and gets banned by CGC"... Access denied

"Tom Brulato's first board appearance"... Access denied

"Timely vs Metro..." Access denied

"CGC employees are not allowed to..." Access denied

+1

So let's translate, shall we...

Remove, redact, sanitize, censor or digitally erase information for the purpose of selective disclosure so that it cannot be distributed to or influence a newer audience.

You're spot on, Kevin. Information disseminating be damned.

The debate is turning one-sided as more and more informational threads that provide insight are being eliminated from public view.

Here are a few more threads that have received the Coe Cover-Up:

"Jason Ewert gets busted trimming comics and gets banned by CGC"... Access denied

"Tom Brulato's first board appearance"... Access denied

"Timely vs Metro..." Access denied

"CGC employees are not allowed to..." Access denied

:o

+1

I bought a brand new Saleen Mustang some years ago that caught fire 2 days after I bought it. I posted about it on Saleen's official forum and it wasn't long before it was deleted.