• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet Another Pressing Question

114 posts in this topic

Another thing that should be mentioned is that CGC is downgrading for improperly pressed books if the book sustains damage during the pressing process...for example, books are downgraded severely if they are too flat and the notes will often reflect it with the word "crushed" used as a description.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that CGC is downgrading for improperly pressed books if the book sustains damage during the pressing process...for example, books are downgraded severely if they are too flat and the notes will often reflect it with the word "crushed" used as a description.

I am actually glad to hear this. This is the first mention of the 'crushed' downgrade I have heard about. Thanks for sharing this Roy.

I am not against pressing but I am against bad pressing. I've acquired a couple books through auction that had the pancake look and I did not like them. It's most noticable on the spine. I think this happens on the already uber graded books with slight spine creases that someone tries to smash into yet a higher grade.

Examples? hm

Examples? hm

I don't have any off the top of my head but I do remember talking to a dealer about it last year and they told me their books came in much lower grades than they had expected for that very reason...the books were too flat.

I've also called for grading notes myself and heard the grader read the notes off, stating that the book was downgraded for being too flat.

Spoke to CGC about it a few times and it does happen.

I think it's a good thing and hopefully it dissuades people from destroying books in an attempt to improve them.

I am actually glad to hear this. This is the first mention of the 'crushed' downgrade I have heard about. Thanks for sharing this Roy.

I am not against pressing but I am against bad pressing. I've acquired a couple books through auction that had the pancake look and I did not like them. It's most noticable on the spine. I think this happens on the already uber graded books with slight spine creases that someone tries to smash into yet a higher grade.

Me too. First I've heard of this as well.

Urban myth - to scare away wannabe pressers and to push customers to the preferred professionals

Urban myth - to scare away wannabe pressers and to push customers to the preferred professionals

Are you sure it's an urban myth? I'm sure it isn't.

If CGC labeled books that were pressed by amateurs as “crushed” then it would have been awesome if they would label those books that were pressed and destroyed by their resident CGC professionals as “Costanza’d” or “CGC Face Job” lol

Costanza Books

Well now that notes are free to all it should be real easy to find a example of "crushed." If they do so exist......

I've already found them on notes for books I've bought. Do you guys think I was making it up out of thin air? (shrug)

Well now that notes are free to all it should be real easy to find a example of "crushed." If they do so exist......

I've already found them on notes for books I've bought. Do you guys think I was making it up out of thin air? (shrug)

The skepticism is in reference to the disbelief that when CCS poorly presses a comic, it will show up as such on the graders' notes, or be fully incorporated into the numerical grade to the same degree as for comics pressed by others.

There is a conflict of interest when an in-house pressing group and 'third party' grading company work under the same parent organization and at the same physical plant that was first pointed out here over a decade ago, and is still very much in place today.

There is a conflict of interest with an in-house pressing group and 'third party' grading company working under the same parent organization and at the same physical plant that was first pointed out here over a decade ago, and is still very much in place today.
Nuh-uh. CCG, CGC and CCS told me there wasn't.

The skepticism is in reference to the disbelief that when CCS poorly presses a comic, it will show up as such on the graders' notes, or be fully incorporated into the numerical grade to the same degree as for comics pressed by others.

There is a conflict of interest when an in-house pressing group and 'third party' grading company work under the same parent organization and at the same physical plant that was first pointed out here over a decade ago, and is still very much in place today.

I agree with you that it is a potential conflict of interest.

What I found intersting was when grading notes became free a few weeks ago several people who had thier books pressed by CCS noticed that their books still had pressable defects and were downgradee for them.

Doesn't that speak at least somewhat towards the internal diologue between CCS and CGC?