• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

Print to order and then advertise a sellout. Great gimmick. lol

Image overprints. They just can't overprint like Marvel and DC because it's all on the creator instead of a corporation. What would BKV do with 5K extra copies of Saga sitting at his place?

Blame it on retailers for not ordering enough initially.

I can guarantee you that Image would rather sell 40K copies the first run and not have to do a second rather than sell 32K copies and have to go back to press and incur more costs to print another 8K.

Print to order and then advertise a sellout. Great gimmick. lol

Image overprints. They just can't overprint like Marvel and DC because it's all on the creator instead of a corporation. What would BKV do with 5K extra copies of Saga sitting at his place?

Blame it on retailers for not ordering enough initially.

I can guarantee you that Image would rather sell 40K copies the first run and not have to do a second rather than sell 32K copies and have to go back to press and incur more costs to print another 8K.

How many Image #1's sell out? If they really wanted to have enough copies you'd think they would have a few less sell outs. I understand what you're saying but the forecasting seems to be sorely lacking if they do want to only have one print.

For once I agree with Branget. They know in advance that their books are selling out at the distributor level, and they could increase the print runs accordingly if they felt like it. They have figured out, though, that the "buzz" of being a "hot book" headed for a 2nd print does more for promotion than having enough copies of issue 1 to satisfy demand. IMO, they intentionally underprint #1 so that they can conveniently release a 2nd printing the same week that #2 hits stands. This inflates demand for a book that has SOLD OUT, and also guarantees that the first issue is on shelves for a longer period of time than it would be with just a first print. Add in the number of collectors who can't pass up a variant cover, and they probably sell enough extra copies of the book in the long run to justify returning to press 3 and 4 and 5 times....

if i were simply a reader of comics...one who just loved the comic art form and nothing else. Then yes, print a ton of 1s, enough for everyone. I personally like scarcity, be it Books, Comics, whatever.

But that's just me...everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do.

For once I agree with Branget. They know in advance that their books are selling out at the distributor level, and they could increase the print runs accordingly if they felt like it. They have figured out, though, that the "buzz" of being a "hot book" headed for a 2nd print does more for promotion than having enough copies of issue 1 to satisfy demand. IMO, they intentionally underprint #1 so that they can conveniently release a 2nd printing the same week that #2 hits stands. This inflates demand for a book that has SOLD OUT, and also guarantees that the first issue is on shelves for a longer period of time than it would be with just a first print. Add in the number of collectors who can't pass up a variant cover, and they probably sell enough extra copies of the book in the long run to justify returning to press 3 and 4 and 5 times....

I see your point, definitely. Projections could and should be better on these bigger books. But most of these Image books (not Saga obviously) are only selling 4-7K copies of #1 issues. It just doesn't make sense to go back to print for another 1K or whatever they end up printing again.

I say what I say mainly because Image partners have been asked the same question and the answer to do they underprint is always "No" for the reasons I mention.

The whole "Final Order Cutoff" was created so that they could get a better idea on orders to be able to print to demand. Retailers aren't ordering early enough even with final order cut-off. Didn't we JUST find out that Saga JUST sold out at the distributor? Are they supposed to be able to print and ship over night? They need a few weeks.

But hey, I'm glad that Saga is sold out. I stand to make some money off of some extra copies just like all you other fools. :acclaim:

While they may have JUST announced that Saga sold out, I seriously doubt that they JUST found out. I think the announcement of the sell out is manipulated every bit as much as the print run itself. Image is very good at marketing their new books, and this is all part of it.

While they may have JUST announced that Saga sold out, I seriously doubt that they JUST found out. I think the announcement of the sell out is manipulated every bit as much as the print run itself. Image is very good at marketing their new books, and this is all part of it.

Really? Usually it's primarily on the creators to generate buzz. A book like Saga or Fatale, yeah, they are marketing the books for sure.

i am camped out in front of my LCS. only 15 hours until the doors open. bought a patagonia pop up tent, have a portable generator to light the lanterns to READ the stash of image #1's i brought with me. the weather could be cooperating better as the rain pelts down. have lost some of the feeling in my fingers and toes. looks like the bottle of JD may not last. will be updating throughout the evening.

sent from the iphone i don't own

i am camped out in front of my LCS. only 15 hours until the doors open. bought a patagonia pop up tent, have a portable generator to light the lanterns to READ the stash of image #1's i brought with me. the weather could be cooperating better as the rain pelts down. have lost some of the feeling in my fingers and toes. looks like the bottle of JD may not last. will be updating throughout the evening.

lol

lol

I'm wishing we met at Image Expo

:o Are you CRAZY? You might get fingerprints on them ruining your retirement fund.