• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE BIG COLOR GUIDE SALE.

232 posts in this topic

I've recently purchased a large collection of comic Color Guide art and would like to offer some for sale here. I will start with a small sample and, if there's an appetite for them here, will continue to update this thread.

Shipping is $12 flat, irrespective of where you are or how many color guides you purchase. Probies & HOS'ers are not welcome.

I will scan what I consider to be the best pages only from each Color Guide, however will try and accomodate if there's a particular page not shown that you'd like to see.

Feel free to PM if you're looking for Color Guides on any titles / issues not shown or to make any offers, otherwise :takeit: is king. I won't be splitting up any Color Guides but offering them complete only, which gives the buyer a chance to break them up and make some money on them if they choose to.

What is Color Guide Art ?

Just like their original art counterpart color guides are a unique, one-of-a-kind, item and a key part in the production process of a comic.

Color guides are a photocopy of the original art that is then hand-colored by the colorist. The colorist will often add handwritten notes for changes to be made, which shows how the finished comic artwork evolved through production.

This color guide is then used for the computerized color separations. Some pieces will have color "codes" written on them to depict the actual color used for that part of the page. Others will either not have the codes on them or they will be on a separate overlay. The dimensions for colorist art are primarily 8.5" X 11".

23 pages from Avengers #271 from September 1986

Breakaway - "Black Night, Wasp, Paladin Versus Grey Gargoyle, Yellowjacket, Screaming Mimi !"

Cover artist: John Buscema.

Colorist: Christie Scheele.

Includes the original Marvel envelope from 1986 signed by Christie Scheele.

$95

Avengers2713.jpg

Avengers2715.jpg

Avengers2716.jpg

Avengers2712.jpg

Avengers2718.jpg

23 pages from Avengers #274 from December 1986.

"Hercules' Last Stand !" - "Divided...We Fall."

Artist Tom Palmer.

Colorist Christie Scheele.

Awesome action pages in this lot. Includes a note on the final page from colorist Christie Scheele referring to how Hercules should appear in the penultimate panel of the book.

"Tom: Hercules should look bloodied and bruised in his face. Like death warmed over."

$125.

Avengers2744.jpg

Avengers2742.jpg

Avengers2745.jpg

Avengers2746.jpg

Avengers2741.jpg

My favorite Marvel arc of the Copper Age. These are so frickin' cool!!!!

I think it's unbelievably cool to own a part of the actual production process of an issue in your collection, where you can see that the notes from the colorist have influenced the finished comic.

I believe these are extremely undervalued ($5 a page !?) and I'd hang on to the whole lot if I could. :sorry:

23 pages from Avengers #271 from September 1986

Breakaway - "Black Night, Wasp, Paladin Versus Grey Gargoyle, Yellowjacket, Screaming Mimi !"

Cover artist: John Buscema.

Colorist: Christie Scheele.

$95

Avengers2713.jpg

Avengers2715.jpg

Avengers2716.jpg

Avengers2712.jpg

Avengers2718.jpg

It's interesting to note that the colouring of the Gray Gargoyles transformations was done incorrectly both on the colour guide and the finished issue. There was a note a few issues later with the panels as they were intended to appear. It adds a bit more unique history to these colour guides. Great items, I love this period of Avengers history as it was when I restarted collecting them.

Hi mate, how are you ? :hi:

The Color Guide codes would determine the colours in the first and final proofs and then the finished issue, so if they got it wrong here then no wonder it's wrong in the comic. Another neat bit of history.

You do know that $95 is only £60, right ? :)

Avengers #369 "Bloodties - Part 5 Of 5" from Dec 1993 - featuring the X-Men - 14 Color Guide Pages.

Cover artist Steve Epting.

Colorist Chris Matthys & Pat Garrahy.

Signed on the reverse with the names Chris Matthys & Pat Garrahy.

$75

Avengers3692.jpg

Avengers3693.jpg

Hi mate, how are you ? :hi:

The Color Guide codes would determine the colours in the first and final proofs and then the finished issue, so if they got it wrong here then no wonder it's wrong in the comic. Another neat bit of history.

You do know that $95 is only £60, right ? :)

I'm not bad thanks, hope things are good with you, mate.

I do really like these but unfortunately, I'm clearing stuff out and not buying it in (at least not for myself). :sorry: I'd be very tempted by these otherwise as they're very cool and from a great time in the Avengers series. I'm guessing that the prices for these pieces will go up quite a bit in the future.

Although things have been quiet in this thread there's been a flurry of Color Guide sales behind the scenes, some of whom have already received their guides and left positive feedback in my kudos thread.

I'm gonna change things up a little now.

Rather than post images, I'm going to provide lists of the issues that are available for each title and work through these week by week. These won't be done in any order, but whatever I fancy posting at the time. :P

Most people seem to know what they're buying and would rather know what I have than what they look like. (though I'm still happy to accommodate where possible).

Firstly, just to summarize what we've already seen, all still available.

Avengers

#271 - (23 pgs) - $95

Writer - Roger Stern

Penciller - John Buscema

Colorist - Christie Scheele

#274 - (23 pgs) - $125

Writer - Roger Stern

Penciller - John Buscema

Colorist - Christie Scheele

#348 (Cover) - $75

Artist - Steve Epting / Tom Palmer

#369 - (14 pgs) - $75

Writer - Bob Harras

Penciller - Steve Epting

Colorist - Chris Matthys / Pat Garrahy

With a new Judge Dredd movie in production, here's a chance to own a piece of history in some original Color Guide Covers from the 1994 D.C. series.

Judge Dredd (DC Series 1994)

#2 (Cover) - $125

#3 (Cover) - $125

#11 (Cover) - $75

#12 (Cover) - $125

#13 (Cover) - $125

#14 (Cover) - $75

#15 (Cover) - $125

Batman: Orpheus Rising (2001)

#1 (22 Pages) - $95

Writer: Alex Simmons

Penciler: Dwayne Turner

Colorist: Shannon Blanchard

#2 (22 Pages) - $95

#3 (22 Pages) - $95

Detective Comics

#582 - (22 Pages) - $125

Writer: Jo Duffy

Penciler: Norm Breyfogle

Colorist: Adrienne Roy

#674 - (22 Pages) - $125 - Knightfall cross-over.

Writer: Chuck Dixon

Penciler: Graham Nolan

Colorist: Adrienne Roy

#687 - (22 Pages) - $125 (1st Appearance Captain Fear).

Colorist: Matt Hollingsworth

#688 - (21 Pages) - $125

Colorist: Matt Hollingsworth

#693 - (21 Pages) - $150 (Poison Ivy).

Penciler: Staz Johnson

Colorist: Patricia Mulvihill