• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Damage Caused by Shifting in the CGC Case
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Folks,

I know this has been discussed before, but what do you do when you get a CGC graded comic that has obvious CGC inner case caused damage to the comic from shifting in the case? Does CGC take some responsibility to re-encapsulate the comic? Do some of you try to get the crease/ding pressed out first? What happens when you buy a comic in high grade that has definitely been damaged to an obvious lower grade?

Thank you...

V/R,

Mike

It is called "Shaken Comic Syndrom", if I understand your scenario correctly. It can happen through moving, dropping or mailing slabbed comic books.

CGC does not take any responsibility and most just keep the book in their collection as is.

Some will sell it and since it is slabbed, state that they do not accept returns due to it being graded and slabbed by a third party. Not a moral thing to do, IF THEY KNOW about the SCS damage. But most often, everyone just goes by the label and may not know.

That is one reason I think paying a premium for a 10.0 modern slabbed book is rather foolish. I bet the next time it is graded (but i seriously doubt anyone would ever do that, since it has a 10.0 above it), it wil not be a 10.0, 95 percent of the time. IMO.

Good points re the very high grade comics. One of two damaged comics I have includes a comic that moves pretty easily in the CGC inner sleeve. I would think that's CGC's fault for not securing it correctly. Most CGC comics I own, and I have a couple hundred, are pretty secure in their casing.

I would think many of these would press out if not too significant, but I don't want to turn this into a press or not thread... :signofftopic:

V/R,

Mike

There was a thread where a high grade early Daredevil that had recently returned from being graded was damaged from SCS. CGC paid for it to be pressed out and regraded. The grade remained the same.

There have been a few threads about this topic, and I remember each time CGC took responsibility and handled the situation to the owners' satisfaction. I hadn't heard of anyone being told by CGC it wasn't their problem.

It is called "Shaken Comic Syndrom", if I understand your scenario correctly. It can happen through moving, dropping or mailing slabbed comic books.

CGC does not take any responsibility and most just keep the book in their collection as is.

Some will sell it and since it is slabbed, state that they do not accept returns due to it being graded and slabbed by a third party. Not a moral thing to do, IF THEY KNOW about the SCS damage. But most often, everyone just goes by the label and may not know.

That is one reason I think paying a premium for a 10.0 modern slabbed book is rather foolish. I bet the next time it is graded (but i seriously doubt anyone would ever do that, since it has a 10.0 above it), it wil not be a 10.0, 95 percent of the time. IMO.

Most 10.0 are given to Moderns, and the well they use doesn't usually cause this issue. From what I recall, it's the wells they use for older books that have this problem. Steve Borock talked about it here briefly, but was the lesser of all evils since using the Modern wells on the older books would've caused a RIP at the staples instead of simple corner damage.

Does anyone remember the thread where a member actually shook the out of slabs and reported results? Entertaining indeed.

I would worry more as to how these books are being cared for once they are in the possession of their new owners. Not all collectors store and care for these items like they should. One of the most overlooked aspects of any collecting hobby is storage and preservation of the items in question. Everyone wants to discuss value and history of the treasures they love and collect; but try talking about conservation, storage, and handling; and half the collecting community runs the other way. I have always felf that all collecting fields do a great disserve by focusing on price guides and historical information and ignoring this key aspect of the hobby. The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide (or any other price guide and reference book) could easily add a section on preservation and proper storage. All that is ever told to the average comic book collector is to 'keep your books out of direct light and store them in a cool dry place.' Unfortunately, this advice leaves a lot to be desired, and even in other collecting fields, ignorance as to how to care and store for these items is the norm.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and my opinion means very little overall.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Edited by mintcollector

Why would CGC be responsible for a slabbed book after the fact if they get it back to whoever subbed it in the same condition it left CGC?

They can't hold the person's hand when it comes to how they handle the book. They also are not accountable if a book is resold multiple times and shipped around the world a few times. These cases are not advertised as being indestructible are they? Nor are they advertised that they will protect the comics within from poor treatment if poorly handled.

Why would CGC be responsible for a slabbed book after the fact if they get it back to whoever subbed it in the same condition it left CGC?

They can't hold the person's hand when it comes to how they handle the book. They also are not accountable if a book is resold multiple times and shipped around the world a few times. These cases are not advertised as being indestructible are they? Nor are they advertised that they will protect the comics within from poor treatment if poorly handled.

I would think CGC would be responsible when the comic is loosely fit into the inner well allowing it to bang around easily. If they can't secure a comic within the inner well, then there is no way it can be reasonably handled without significant rick of damage.

V/R,

Mike

Most 10.0 are given to Moderns, and the well they use doesn't usually cause this issue. From what I recall, it's the wells they use for older books that have this problem. Steve Borock talked about it here briefly, but was the lesser of all evils since using the Modern wells on the older books would've caused a RIP at the staples instead of simple corner damage.

Does anyone remember the thread where a member actually shook the out of slabs and reported results? Entertaining indeed.

All 9.9 and 10 books are put into the old style inner wells. The new (modern) well is not used on anything above 9.8, even if it's a modern book.

All 9.9 and 10 books are put into the old style inner wells. The new (modern) well is not used on anything above 9.8, even if it's a modern book.

Why is this?

I would think CGC would be responsible when the comic is loosely fit into the inner well allowing it to bang around easily. If they can't secure a comic within the inner well, then there is no way it can be reasonably handled without significant rick of damage.

V/R,

Mike

The problem is that the well is not supposed to be insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof. It's simply supposed to protect the comic under normal handling conditions.

If someone drops a comic off a building ledge, kicks a packaged book like a football or simply drops a slabbed book off a table onto a hard floor you can cause the same damage.

I remember Borock telling me how one guy wanted to throw his comic into his pool to see if the slab would protect the comic.

doh!

The slab is meant to protect the book under normal conditions, and under normal conditions slab damage does not occur to books.

For abnormal conditions, that's what insurance is supposed to be used for.

For those that have been around a few years, they'll probably remember that CGC (well Steve Borock did, actually) came on here time and time again stating that if anyone came up with a superior slab design, CGC would pay them for it.

Anyhow, just adding a little balance to the conversation.

2c

For those that have been around a few years, they'll probably remember that CGC (well Steve Borock did, actually) came on here time and time again stating that if anyone came up with a superior slab design, CGC would pay them for it.

I did, and they didn't. :gossip:

From my experience, if a book is loose in the inner well, it is loose leaving the factory, ie CGC, but it probably does not have SCS. The SCS develops later, from poor storage or multiple trips to the auction house. 'If' the OO notices the book is loose and returns it to CGC the problem is solved, however, we all know this isn't usually the case. Personally, I don't believe one should knowingly pass an SCS damaged slab onto another buyer, however, we all know this isn't usually the case. While I would not bother CGC with a small dollar book, I have sent them higher dollar books that had obvious SCS damage and they have addressed it.

They stand behind their product but only within reason.

Edited by bomber-bob

I did, and they didn't. :gossip:

Explain it via PM so that I can give it the attention that it needs.

:baiting: