• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to window-bag your books for SS (with photos!)
9 9

139 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2019 at 1:15 PM, SBRobin said:

Do I need to tape off the book if I don't care where the creator signs? I'm getting Buffy #1 signed and I don't know enough about SS to know where a good place to sign is, so I figured maybe leave that to the signer?

In your case the tape would be there to help the signer know not to go too close to the edge.  I've also seen people just use boxes drawn on the bag with a Sharpie to indicate where the opening is at.

14 hours ago, RadiantGraphix said:

In your case the tape would be there to help the signer know not to go too close to the edge.  I've also seen people just use boxes drawn on the bag with a Sharpie to indicate where the opening is at.

I would advise against using a Sharpie, as even when the ink is dry it can smear.  Usually not a big deal for signatures, but definitely a problem for sketches.

On 2/27/2012 at 10:14 PM, mschmidt said:

Based on the rash of recent threads talking about grade drops incurred whilst getting books signed, I figured I'd put together a little illustrated post on how to properly protect your books for a Signature Series signing. I realize that there's already a great (and stickied) how-to by Kevin in this forum, but for someone who's never done this before, having a set of photos to accompany the instructions would probably be beneficial.

Anyways, onwards and upwards ...

Step 1

ssprep-1-m.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

• bags and boards (I'm using silver size polybags with matching backing boards in this thread, but feel free to use whatever you have lying around)
  • bags that are slightly larger than the ones above (I'm using silver size Gerber Archives)
  • marker
  • box cutter or utility knife
  • masking tape
  • straight edge or metal ruler

Step 2

ssprep-2-m.jpg

Add a backing board to each bag that you're going to cut - this will help ensure you don't cut all the way through the bag.

Step 3

ssprep-3-m.jpg

Apply masking tape to each bag, outlining where you'll cut. The bag on the right has a generic, full-size window which I use for sketches - the bag on the left has a book-specific, smaller window which allows me to control where the creator will sign.

Step 4

ssprep-4-m.jpg

Use the metal ruler, straight edge or your uncanny knifing abilities to cut out a hole inside the masked box. Take care not to cut into the blue masking tape as that will leave a sticky residue.

Step 5

ssprep-5-m.jpg

Insert at least 2 more backing boards into each bag (3 total is the bare minimum, I prefer 4) and then gently slide the book in the bag. I do this upside-down because it makes it easier to slide the inner bag in & out of the outer bag.

Step 6

ssprep-6-m.jpg

Finish the window-bag by adding a helpful "sign here" note on the smaller window, and then slide the inner bags into the outer, larger bag.

Step 7

ssprep-7-m.jpg

Don't forget to add a note on the back with the name of the book, your name and the name of the creator who you want signing the book - if the facilitator doesn't know who the book belongs to or which signature to get, the book will most certainly not get done.

Step 8 (optional)

ssprep-8-m.jpg

ssprep-9-m.jpg

For an extra layer of protection - which comes in very handy with mail-away signings - cut a backing board slightly smaller than the book itself, and use a strip of tape to anchor it to either the top or bottom of the book, creating a flap. If you put the name of the book and the creator on the flap, the facilitator will worship the ground you walk on.

Step 9

ssprep-10-m.jpg

Ready to be sent off!

Just put together my first comics to be signed and facilitated by Hank Pym.  This was very helpful.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Hulksmashlife said:

Can you get comics pressed after signing and still get a yellow label?  Is it better to get them pressed before?

Two routes:

1) raw book is signed/witnessed by a CGC representative and then sent off to CCS for pressing, then to CGC for grading.  This results in a yellow label because the chain of custody from signing to CGC remains unbroken as CCS is an affiliated company.

2) book is existing yellow label slab which is sent to an authorized presser who removes the book from the slab, presses it, then resubmits it to CGC.  Again, the chain of custody is unbroken as the presser is treated as an authorized representative in this case.

In the first scenario, you could have the book sent to an authorized presser but you may end up spending more money on shipping.  However, there are some who trust authorized presser's more than they trust CCS.  Be sure to check with whomever is pressing your books that they can accept/submit yellow label for you.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, ExNihilo said:

Two routes:

1) raw book is signed/witnessed by a CGC representative and then sent off to CCS for pressing, then to CGC for grading.  This results in a yellow label because the chain of custody from signing to CGC remains unbroken as CCS is an affiliated company.

2) book is existing yellow label slab which is sent to an authorized presser who removes the book from the slab, presses it, then resubmits it to CGC.  Again, the chain of custody is unbroken as the presser is treated as an authorized representative in this case.

In the first scenario, you could have the book sent to an authorized presser but you may end up spending more money on shipping.  However, there are some who trust authorized presser's more than they trust CCS.  Be sure to check with whomever is pressing your books that they can accept/submit yellow label for you.

So if I wanted to add signatures to an existing book that is already a yellow label, would that be possible?  And if I understand correctly, as long as it goes to an authorized presser, I can keep the yellow label? I have had this book since it was first published and had Sam De La Rosa/. sign it for me when I got to meet him again the second time (first time12yo / second 37yo) I wanted to add sigs to this book. Here are the notes:

Comic Description:
Venom: Lethal Protector 1 2/93 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
bend right center of back cover
dent left bottom of back cover

** ETA - This thread was super helpful in getting my first sigs with a yellow label.  Worked out great!  Thank you.  **

1563501520796-cf6ebfe9-611e-40a2-b3a0-85fca2386eee_.jpg

1563501159597-15e88a88-3700-461f-a6ca-cfd35ee7d6cb_.jpg

IMG_20190721_174315088.jpg

1563501611416-3cb86c72-a39c-4337-9da4-59f644df14a5_.jpg

Edited by Hulksmashlife
added a thank you and pics.

4 hours ago, Hulksmashlife said:

So if I wanted to add signatures to an existing book that is already a yellow label, would that be possible?  And if I understand correctly, as long as it goes to an authorized presser, I can keep the yellow label? I have had this book since it was first published and had Sam De La Rosa/. sign it for me when I got to meet him again the second time (first time12yo / second 37yo) I wanted to add sigs to this book. Here are the notes:

Comic Description:
Venom: Lethal Protector 1 2/93 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
bend right center of back cover
dent left bottom of back cover

** ETA - This thread was super helpful in getting my first sigs with a yellow label.  Worked out great!  Thank you.  **

If you're going to a convention yourself, you'll have to take the slab to the CGC booth and have the slab cracked and the book removed in front of the CGC witness.  Then the signing itself is rather academic, the CGC witness accompanies you to obtain your sigs, you and the witness return to the CGC booth and have the books submitted.

If you're using a facilitator, they will crack the book from the slab for you and will obtain the signatures before submitting to CGC.

In both cases, if needs to be emphasized that the book is to remain in the slab and can only be cracked under the watchful eye of a CGC witness/authorized facilitator.  DO NOT crack the slab yourself beforehand.

As for the pressing, if you elect to go through CCS, you just mark it on the Submission Form and it will flow through CCS before going to CGC.  If you want to go with a 3rd party, I would recommend working with your facilitator to sort out the details.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:40 AM, ExNihilo said:

If you're going to a convention yourself, you'll have to take the slab to the CGC booth and have the slab cracked and the book removed in front of the CGC witness.  Then the signing itself is rather academic, the CGC witness accompanies you to obtain your sigs, you and the witness return to the CGC booth and have the books submitted.

If you're using a facilitator, they will crack the book from the slab for you and will obtain the signatures before submitting to CGC.

In both cases, if needs to be emphasized that the book is to remain in the slab and can only be cracked under the watchful eye of a CGC witness/authorized facilitator.  DO NOT crack the slab yourself beforehand.

As for the pressing, if you elect to go through CCS, you just mark it on the Submission Form and it will flow through CCS before going to CGC.  If you want to go with a 3rd party, I would recommend working with your facilitator to sort out the details.

So if you use a facilitator, does CGC provide some type of documentation noting that they did or witnessed the cracking of the slab?

On 12/7/2019 at 6:56 AM, TheoW said:

So if you use a facilitator, does CGC provide some type of documentation noting that they did or witnessed the cracking of the slab?

The facilitators in the signature series subthread are all authorized witnesses by CGC.  They just remove from the slab prior to the convention, place your book in a windowed bag, get the sigs, and re-submit to CGC for a yellow label.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:18 PM, NYCasualCollector said:

Very helpful, but I'm curious as to why would you have the windowed bag into another bag, wouldn't the "board flap" perform the same function?

I put the windowed bag with the board flap in another bag for shipping/handling purposes (whatever makes the life of your facilitator easier).

Basically I'll provide the windowed bag laid out here, then I'll also provide a "finished" bag/board which is for the book after it's been signed and is ready to be shipped to CGC.  If I recall correctly rules were put in place that books had to be sent to CGC in regular bag/boards, not windowed bags.  On the back of the boards in the finished bag will be my name, book, signatures, and my mailing address.  Both the windowed bag and the finished bag then get put in an outer bag.  This way everything is in one tidy place for the facilitator.

Hey,

I just finished putting in my first submission.  Being new to this, I have a few questions

1.  Am I following the right steps for preparing my books for an In-House Private Signing submission? *Pictures include window bags that have already been cut, and placement of Private Signing Card*

20200529_163100.thumb.jpg.44eda72b97e482ace18dab35969306da.jpg20200529_163105.thumb.jpg.87a6f10d68799c8e489a1409313f6000.jpg

On 2/27/2012 at 8:14 PM, mschmidt said:

Based on the rash of recent threads talking about grade drops incurred whilst getting books signed, I figured I'd put together a little illustrated post on how to properly protect your books for a Signature Series signing. I realize that there's already a great (and stickied) how-to by Kevin in this forum, but for someone who's never done this before, having a set of photos to accompany the instructions would probably be beneficial.

Anyways, onwards and upwards ...

Step 1

ssprep-1-m.jpg

Here's what you'll need:

• bags and boards (I'm using silver size polybags with matching backing boards in this thread, but feel free to use whatever you have lying around)
  • bags that are slightly larger than the ones above (I'm using silver size Gerber Archives)
  • marker
  • box cutter or utility knife
  • masking tape
  • straight edge or metal ruler

Step 2

ssprep-2-m.jpg

Add a backing board to each bag that you're going to cut - this will help ensure you don't cut all the way through the bag.

Step 3

ssprep-3-m.jpg

Apply masking tape to each bag, outlining where you'll cut. The bag on the right has a generic, full-size window which I use for sketches - the bag on the left has a book-specific, smaller window which allows me to control where the creator will sign.

Step 4

ssprep-4-m.jpg

Use the metal ruler, straight edge or your uncanny knifing abilities to cut out a hole inside the masked box. Take care not to cut into the blue masking tape as that will leave a sticky residue.

Step 5

ssprep-5-m.jpg

Insert at least 2 more backing boards into each bag (3 total is the bare minimum, I prefer 4) and then gently slide the book in the bag. I do this upside-down because it makes it easier to slide the inner bag in & out of the outer bag.

Step 6

ssprep-6-m.jpg

Finish the window-bag by adding a helpful "sign here" note on the smaller window, and then slide the inner bags into the outer, larger bag.

Step 7

ssprep-7-m.jpg

Don't forget to add a note on the back with the name of the book, your name and the name of the creator who you want signing the book - if the facilitator doesn't know who the book belongs to or which signature to get, the book will most certainly not get done.

Step 8 (optional)

ssprep-8-m.jpg

ssprep-9-m.jpg

For an extra layer of protection - which comes in very handy with mail-away signings - cut a backing board slightly smaller than the book itself, and use a strip of tape to anchor it to either the top or bottom of the book, creating a flap. If you put the name of the book and the creator on the flap, the facilitator will worship the ground you walk on.

Step 9

ssprep-10-m.jpg

Ready to be sent off!

Thank you for this.