• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to window-bag your books for SS (with photos!)
9 9

139 posts in this topic

Excellent write-up!!!

When I do the window cut in Step 4 , I also cut through the board. I then place the board as the front board as in Step 8.

Yeah, instead of having the front board as a flap I cut a hole in a front board and have it in the bag with the book. It certainly highlights where the signature is supposed to go and provides good protection even with the book is getting handed around.

Other than serving as an outline to where you cut the bag, is there any purpose to the tape? Is it to point the talent to where they should sign?

Also, what appears to be used in Mike's photos is painter's tape. This is important because it is far less likely to stick to something in a damaging way.

I have def. seen damage occur to silver and golden age type older books even from painters tape.

In regards to the sharpie bleed through I have never seen this. I have seen where people write their info on the backs of the BAGS (Not the board inside the bag) and that sharpie then smear onto the front of the book it was in front of.

I have used Mike's methods for my cgc ss subs and havent had any problems or heard any complaints from facilitators on the packaging. I like the colored tape as well to let them know where to sign . I triple board and use those Hotflip bags that self seal. Nice job Mike.... this should be stickered.

I can't tell you how much this post saved me SO much frustration while @ the PHXCC for my very first con. I followed these directions exactly. All the CGC guys there were very impressed by the way in which my books were prepared. All the actors / artists were VERY impressed as well. Some even made mention, like William Shatner did to me, that I must do this a lot as these are very professionaly done books.

The ONLY issue I had with the flap was that i closed it to quickly after I had a signature and the marker bled on the backside and smeared the signature on the comic a tiny bit.

But regardless, it simply made the entire process easier especially if you have multiple sigs to get.

i should find out any day what the grades were for what all 12 books I got signed. Non of them were previously graded ones so no cracking of slabs were involved.

I'm currently preparing 4 CGC books all 9.8 or 9.6 to be cracked and singed @ SDCC next week via Desert Wind Coimics and then 12 more CGC to get cracked @ SW Celebrations all over a 9.4

hey just wanted to drop in and say thanks! I followed your guideline for Comic-Con this year and it went great. The signatures were the exact size I wanted and where I wanted them. Thanks so much for posting this guide!

I want to post a complaint. I followed the steps in this guide. None of my facilitators have worshipped the ground I walk on.

Did you follow through to the final step?

Step 10

Carefully insert Franklin per window bag/boards

franklin.JPG

I want to post a complaint. I followed the steps in this guide. None of my facilitators have worshipped the ground I walk on.

They also require lots of low hugs.

Fixed!

:gossip: For when you work with Cretella. :eek:

Did you follow through to the final step?

Step 10

Carefully insert Franklin per window bag/boards

franklin.JPG

I put it inside the book. Didn't you get it?