• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to window-bag your books for SS (with photos!)
9 9

139 posts in this topic

So what size bag would you recommend using for the outer bag for a modern ss book? Thanks, and sorry if this was asked already in the thread and I missed it.

I use Silver size poly bags for the inner container (or Standard size Mylite2s) and Silver/Golden size Archives for the outer bag.

Alternatively, if you want some more protection, you can use a Silver size poly bag around the book, then put that inside a Golden size poly bag with a backing board.

So what size bag would you recommend using for the outer bag for a modern ss book? Thanks, and sorry if this was asked already in the thread and I missed it.

I use Silver size poly bags for the inner container (or Standard size Mylite2s) and Silver/Golden size Archives for the outer bag.

Alternatively, if you want some more protection, you can use a Silver size poly bag around the book, then put that inside a Golden size poly bag with a backing board.

Thanks!

Always depends for me. I always go one size larger than the comic being signed with a board for g.p. So Modern SS, Window bag and board the Modern. and then for protection I put it in a Silver bag and board. I know most say the extra board isn't needed but I would rather invest in a 20 cent board than lose a .2 due to some unforeseen happening that could have been avoided with it.

I can see it now, thanks for the example. I may not have run into the problem yet because A) I only do SS and haven't gotten into sketch covers (where obviously there would be more activity around the margins), and B) I use a front board inside the bag, also with the window cut out, which provides more separation between the bag and the comic.

Early on in this thread, someone suggested just cutting through the backing board, and using that as your window instead of tape. That seems like a better idea to me than the tape method, because there is absolutely no danger of any stickiness, since there is no tape. But, no one seems to be echoing the idea... any reason?

Early on in this thread, someone suggested just cutting through the backing board, and using that as your window instead of tape. That seems like a better idea to me than the tape method, because there is absolutely no danger of any stickiness, since there is no tape. But, no one seems to be echoing the idea... any reason?

I do this for books I send to other facilitators at shows I am not attending since its typically less than 20 books at a time. However I use the sharpie boarder for shows I attend since the volume of books I do at shows I attend would make prepping very time consuming.

Here is a photo of a book I had done about a year ago, at a show I attended. I use SA mylites as the bag and Fullbacks on the front and back of the book with a window cut through the front board. It may cost a little more to do it this way, but I like to maximize protection as it moves on through the system.

ASM305.jpg

And another question... what is the rule on putting extra microchamber paper inside a book? On golden age, thick books, it seems to me that some extra microchamber paper spaced throughout could be beneficial. Or, is this considered to be harmful?

Thanks a bunch I just took my first group of books to get signed a couple months ago and was a little nervous about how they were handled, I don't why I didn't think of this sooner but now I have some arts and crafts to do on my day off.

I am so glad that I came across this information. I used it, and I am sending some issues to be signed, and I did exactly as you suggested and it now looks nice. I am sure that it will be appreciated that I did this for them. Thank you!

Question, after the book is signed.. should it be placed in a new bag before handing off to CGC? or is it safe to just double bag (slide the windowed book/bag/board into a larger bag) ?

I remember last year CGC had me re-bag each submission after I had the book signed ..you couldn't just hand off a windowed out book. This year I sent CGC customer service an email asking if it would be okay to just double bag the windowed book and they said yes that would be fine. It's a pain in the butt re-bagging 20 books at a busy Con table.

My only issue with double bagging is I'm not sure how CGC handles books after the grading process. After the book is inspected and given a grade, is it put back into the same windowed out bag and then sent off for encapsulation? My fear is the book will snag an edge when sliding into the windowed bag. I window bags using mylar and I know from experience when sliding the book in it becomes a little tricky and extra precaution is needed to hold the window area out of the way as the book goes in.

Anyone have any suggestions or info? Thanks.

Question, after the book is signed.. should it be placed in a new bag before handing off to CGC? or is it safe to just double bag (slide the windowed book/bag/board into a larger bag) ?

I remember last year CGC had me re-bag each submission after I had the book signed ..you couldn't just hand off a windowed out book. This year I sent CGC customer service an email asking if it would be okay to just double bag the windowed book and they said yes that would be fine. It's a pain in the butt re-bagging 20 books at a busy Con table.

My only issue with double bagging is I'm not sure how CGC handles books after the grading process. After the book is inspected and given a grade, is it put back into the same windowed out bag and then sent off for encapsulation? My fear is the book will snag an edge when sliding into the windowed bag. I window bags using mylar and I know from experience when sliding the book in it becomes a little tricky and extra precaution is needed to hold the window area out of the way as the book goes in.

Anyone have any suggestions or info? Thanks.

I always rebag, for the reason you stated (not catching a book on a Mylar window) , and also so I can re-use the window bags. Those two together make it an easy decision to take the time and rebag.

Hi I see people on YouTube that have a sticker that they place over the comic where they want it to be signed. Then they cut out the part of the bag that's inside the sticker. It's the same thing as using tape but it looks much easier and cleaner. Does anyone know if those stickers I'm talking about are available for purchase anywhere? I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!