• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to window-bag your books for SS (with photos!)
8 8

139 posts in this topic

Hello all!

First time on this board, first time sending anything in to CGC.

A question on the topic, I'm sending in a book for a private signing, and in the email it states:

"Submissions will NOT be accepted unless these instructions have been fully completed.

Place your collectible and backing board in the window bag."

I see window bags on the CGC website are backordered and not available.

So what can I do in this instance if I dont have access to a window bag? 

Or maybe i'm just confused on the wording as its my first time.

Thank you!

On 1/5/2022 at 6:12 PM, Danny Flores said:

Hello all!

First time on this board, first time sending anything in to CGC.

A question on the topic, I'm sending in a book for a private signing, and in the email it states:

"Submissions will NOT be accepted unless these instructions have been fully completed.

Place your collectible and backing board in the window bag."

I see window bags on the CGC website are backordered and not available.

So what can I do in this instance if I dont have access to a window bag? 

Or maybe i'm just confused on the wording as its my first time.

Thank you!

I always make my own windowed bag using the instructions on page 1 of this thread.  The images may no longer appear in the post, but if you click on each jpeg, the pics are still hosted somewhere.

Edited by ExNihilo

Hi everyone,

I just saw that CGC will be doing a private signing with Gerry Conway and I would like to send my raw Savage Tales 1 for him to sign. The instructions state to put the book in a window bag and offer a link to purchase them from CGC. I looked and not only are the window bags backordered, but they don't even offer an option for magazine window bags. Has anyone here made their own magazine window bag using the same instructions from page 1 and how did it work out?

On 4/20/2022 at 8:34 AM, Cushing Fan said:

Hi everyone,

I just saw that CGC will be doing a private signing with Gerry Conway and I would like to send my raw Savage Tales 1 for him to sign. The instructions state to put the book in a window bag and offer a link to purchase them from CGC. I looked and not only are the window bags backordered, but they don't even offer an option for magazine window bags. Has anyone here made their own magazine window bag using the same instructions from page 1 and how did it work out?

You don't need to use CGC's windowed bag when submitting comics so I don't see why you would need to use theirs for magazines either.  I've always submitted comic books using the instructions/images on page 1 and have never had an issue.

Edited by ExNihilo
Grammar: "there's" to "theirs"

On 9/9/2022 at 8:56 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Last question, if I already have a graded book to send, I would have to crack it myself and then window bag it correct? I know, may be a dumb question, but just trying to determine if worth the risk.

If it's a blue label book, yes, you can crack it yourself.  I always send the old label in with the book so CGC can update their census.

If it's a yellow label book, let CGC crack it, and you just provide a window bag.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Last question, if I already have a graded book to send, I would have to crack it myself and then window bag it correct? I know, may be a dumb question, but just trying to determine if worth the risk.

I'm new to these signing events too.  Personally, I'm sending my graded books into the upcoming McFarlane signing still in the slab and letting CGC remove them.  It's my understanding that I should also make a window bag for it and send with it.

Curious if anyone has tips for window bagging for sketches?
In the past I've always risked without window bags, but for CGC events, it has to be window bagged - but I want to maximize sketch-able area.  Any tricks for doing this without risking the book coming out of the window?

Edited by Thawk

I'm wondering this as well @Thawk - but slightly different - I'm planning on bringing a sketch cover to NYCC in a couple weeks; I prepped a window bag for it but it seems... dumb... the edges of the bag cover the edges of the book, sure, and I'm not losing much cover real estate, but it seems like it'd probably be easier to just hand the book to the artist?

fwiw @Thawk I ended up modifying one of CGC's yellow window bags for the sketch cover - I popped the book in, measured where I wanted the space, and then cut the window bag window to extend the available area - it came out great.