• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May!

137 posts in this topic

The 1st TMNT image is at 50k. How high will this piece climb?

Wow that's way more than I would have guessed. Something tells me that's just the reserve?

As a Kirby fan, I'm biased.....but that Surfer page has to be the most iconic page I've seen go public yet. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) \(thumbs u

I’m very likely one of Italy’s readers most affectioned to Jack, but to be honest, Jimbo, I don’t like this Surfer page so much. From which year is that? Is that a cover? It looks from the late period, guess who‘s the inker.

About the price: it’s true than original art pieces are unique, but these prices are out of this world. Also, there is a highly subjective factor to what a page represents in one’s own experience. Personally, I would rather have a single pages from the "beehive" storyline rather than a splash page or a cover.

It only takes two bidders to drive the price up.

I bid for a Legion cover for the auction to save Joe Shuster's house. One other guy and I bid it way above what a Swan cover would normally go for - sure it was for charity, but I really wanted it. Apparently, he did, too.

Does that make it worth the money we bid? I doubt it. If I wasn't there to "make the market" or if he wasn't, it would have gone for a 1/3 of the selling price.

PS. I shouldn't complain about missing that one (though I do sometimes) I do have some nice Swan examples.

As a Kirby fan, I'm biased.....but that Surfer page has to be the most iconic page I've seen go public yet. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) \(thumbs u

I’m very likely one of Italy’s readers most affectioned to Jack, but to be honest, Jimbo, I don’t like this Surfer page so much. From which year is that? Is that a cover? It looks from the late period, guess who‘s the inker.

About the price: it’s true than original art pieces are unique, but these prices are out of this world. Also, there is a highly subjective factor to what a page represents in one’s own experience. Personally, I would rather have a single pages from the "beehive" storyline rather than a splash page or a cover.

with all due respect if you're not sure if its a cover, not sure who the inker is, and not sure what year its from (what ARE you sure of when it comes to this page?) then you really don't have any context to appreciate this page with or understand its valuation. Much as I wouldn't have any context for certain european pieces.

with all due respect if you're not sure if its a cover, not sure who the inker is, and not sure what year its from (what ARE you sure of when it comes to this page?) then you really don't have any context to appreciate this page with or understand its valuation. Much as I wouldn't have any context for certain european pieces.

Huh? What makes you think that?

I know enough Kirby artwork to tell it’s not an earlier piece. Of course, I may be wrong, I don’t know the details, but the inking seems the work of one of his late inkers, like Mike Thibodeaux, and the overall style shows the distortions sadly due to Jack’s eye problems (as mentioned by Mark Evanier in the biography).

I would not surely be so good to spot any european piece, but I have been staring at Kirby’s artwork since the 1970s, and it seems to me this is a later piece.

Valiant, I think you need to go to Heritage and look at the piece in question (which is from 1966). I posted my Kirby piece (from 1978) in celebration of Kirby's Surfer, nothing more. This is an art forum, after all.

But feel free to bag it out as . I don't think too many people will join in.

It sounds like you are not commenting on the FF #55 page in Heritage, but rather the SS Graphic Novel cover posted above. Both are Kirby/ Sinnott, but the two pieces were done decades apart.

Yes, apologies for the misunderstanding. I am pretty surprised to hear it’s Sinnott inking on the (rejected?) cover for The SS Graphic Novel. From the style, I guessed it was some piece of the 1980s (1978, not so far), where unfortunately, Jack’s drawing perspective already got extremely skewed due to the eye problems.

@LB Jefferies: I wasn’t saying it was a *spoon*, well maybe a *fork* ;), just that it belongs to the late period, where the distortion became an element which wasn’t possible to hide thanks to the inker’s help. But it could also be seen even as a more valuable item than the great #55 page, since it document’s Jack suffering (and worries about his family) and as such it must be treasured. :)

I wouldn’t ever despise anything done by Jack, even if it was an awful scribble in the face of adversity… :)

@Sardo: I agree, I don’t even have to look back at it, it’s really a great page.

My personal piece is a page from FF #62, it probably features the closest portrait of Blastaar, as he meets the Sandman.

Philippe Queveau, which is registered here but doesn’t post often, has nicely explained me the story of the small amount of original art which was gotten back by Kirby and Sinnott, and I learned my piece was, albeit indirectly, bought from Jack himself, and I was delighted to know. I guess it would be hard to part with it! :)

Also, Philippe owns *the* Silver Surfer page, which is this one:

FF%2072%20surfer.jpg

To explain better, my page is the one from which this panel is taken:

FF62_Blastaar.JPG

The only missing character is the Invisible Woman, but there are the "Fantastic Three", the Sandman, Triton and Blastaar. I guess I should be very happy. :)

Blastaar is definitely a very-kirbysh character of the raw/brute kind, very funny in some way, since it’s not the bloodthirsty type which Jack wouldn’t have conceived (he was pretty critical about the kind of violent reaction to crime testified by the success of characters like the Punisher, I made him a question about this topic when I interviewed him in 1991).

Hi Valiant,

The inks on the unpublished GN cover are actually Royer, although I think he was channeling his inner-Sinnott seeing as he knew Sinnott was responsible for the interiors.

I also own a page from FF62. It's a great issue.

I am more geeked up for this auction than almost any auction I can remember. Sure it's about some of the large pieces in the auction but it's also about several smaller pieces that really push my collector buttons.

What a great mix they put together this time.

Well, I don’t know if it‘s just me, because I am very affectioned to the story -- the sense of mystery, of urgency, something like being on the threshold of the unknown, and yet feeling familiar -- but to me the three-part "Beehive" storyline (with the birth of Warlock) is the peak of all the Fantastic Four career.

Sure, Galactus is great, it has deservedly being praised as among the finest runs, but I tend to consider (also for its "literary" value: thanks Stan! ;) ) that cycle the most awesome. And it all starts, with a sense of impending doom, as the FF decide to go somewhere on vacation and Ronan the accuser comes to the board. Again: maybe it’s just me, but in some way it’s all there. :)

P.S. Let’s not forget Wakanda, and the often despised Black Panther.