• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #800 posted by Brandon Shepherd
1 1

8 posts in this topic

All about anniversary issues.

I have recently acquired Action Comics #800 from April 2003 in 9.8 for my collection. I have been waiting for a 9.8 copy of this issue to come out of the woodwork for several years, until recently, the highest grade for this issue was 9.6. As of this writing (3/02/2012) there 19 copies in the census at 9.6, I wonder if this particular issue has some sort of manufacturing characteristic that makes it difficult to obtain in 9.8, or if a majority of the 9.6 copies were submitted in the early years of CGC certification, with many people still learning what to look for in 9.8 candidates - who knows, both scenarios seem unlikely.

With this latest edition I now have Action Comics #'s 500, 600, 700 (Gold Edition) and 800 in 9.8 grade, I now need #900 (Adam Hughes variant). I would love to have the other anniversary issues for Action Comics, #100 (September 1946) has always been popular with collectors as one of comics first centennial issues, #200 (January 1955) is difficult to obtain in any grade and #300 (May 1963) has a familiar Curt Swan cover. I had my eye on #400 (May 1971) with a fantastic cover by Neal Adams in 9.8 grade with white pages a few years ago on ComicLink, but the final price was a little over $700, maybe other copies will appear in the future.

I was looking forward to seeing Action Comics #1000 in my lifetime, the new DC 52 re-launch may change this, there is speculation or hope that the title will resume the original numbering in time for this milestone, but only time (and sales) will tell.

10793.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2012 at 4:35 PM, excelsior1986 said:

Very cool book. I'm sure the good ol boys at DC will let us know when Action Comics reaches it's 1000th issue. They're always thinking of ways to make more money on stuff like that.

Thank you, almost six year later!

You are correct, the good ol boys at DC are up to something.

www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/action-comics-2016/action-comics-1000-80-years-of-superman

AC_1000_SM80_logo-fnl_5a0624183c8b98.759

Looks like a hardback edition with a bunch of stuff and a $5.99 regular edition. I also thought I saw something about 1000 covers. :eyeroll: All to coincide with the 80th anniversary of the debut of Action #1. I'm glad DC went back to the 'legacy' numbering for both Action and Detective, but it still doesn't feel right, they also made the title bi-monthly, so it also feels like DC is cheating. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2012 at 4:42 PM, CSJournals-migration said:

I have recently acquired Action Comics #800 from April 2003 in 9.8 for my collection. I have been waiting for a 9.8 copy of this issue to come out of the woodwork for several years, until recently, the highest grade for this issue was 9.6. As of this writing (3/02/2012) there 19 copies in the census at 9.6, I wonder if this particular issue has some sort of manufacturing characteristic that makes it difficult to obtain in 9.8, or if a majority of the 9.6 copies were submitted in the early years of CGC certification, with many people still learning what to look for in 9.8 candidates - who knows, both scenarios seem unlikely.

With this latest edition I now have Action Comics #'s 500, 600, 700 (Gold Edition) and 800 in 9.8 grade, I now need #900 (Adam Hughes variant). I would love to have the other anniversary issues for Action Comics, #100 (September 1946) has always been popular with collectors as one of comics first centennial issues, #200 (January 1955) is difficult to obtain in any grade and #300 (May 1963) has a familiar Curt Swan cover. I had my eye on #400 (May 1971) with a fantastic cover by Neal Adams in 9.8 grade with white pages a few years ago on ComicLink, but the final price was a little over $700, maybe other copies will appear in the future.

I was looking forward to seeing Action Comics #1000 in my lifetime, the new DC 52 re-launch may change this, there is speculation or hope that the title will resume the original numbering in time for this milestone, but only time (and sales) will tell.

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

The upcoming release of Action Comics #1000 reminded me of this post. I'm pleased to write with the update that I have since acquired Action #400 and 900 in 9.8! Also, my copy of Action 800 is still the lone 9.8 in the census - not that it matters, it's a modern book. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2012 at 4:42 PM, CSJournals-migration said:

Got my copies of AC #1000!IMG_4798.thumb.jpg.3121395d7b83bc4b350e997673dbccdb.jpg

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/1773-action-comics-800/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png

1 1