• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Bronze Romance Books
9 9

269 posts in this topic

Some nice early Bronze / late Silver Charltons that caught my eye. These weren't on my official Big List of Charltons to buy, but since I found nice copies in the wild for cheap, I had to get them.

I really dig the Statue of Liberty background on this one:

PnAcTmh.jpg

The funky mural on the left really caught my eye. I suspect those are the artists' initials hidden in the design?

5hVF7Lp.jpg

Shot in the dark here - anyone have a list of romance comics written by Barbara Friedlander? There are some listed on the GCD, which is helpful, but it's just a handful of issues. Since there weren't any credits for most DC romance comics at the time, it's pretty hard to figure out except in a handful of instances where someone or other's logbook listed payments to her (or other creators). But I am hoping some of you knowledgeable folks might have some inside info on what she wrote for DC romance. I know she did the 20 Miles to Heartbreak story in Young Love - anything else like that? Was she involved with the Life and Loves of Lisa St. Clair or any of their other serialized stories? 

I'm asking because she's actually appearing at a comic con near me and I want to bring some stuff for her to sign. I will be able to ask her in person what she worked on, and what the experience was like working for DC romance line, but if I can find out anything before I go to the show, that would be great!

Paging @Dr. Love!

I had a chance to talk to Barbara Friedlander at Terrificon yesterday. She was very nice, and gracious. I definitely got the impression that this was all new to her, and she was really amazed anyone knew who she was. She had a little book she had put together on her table that people could look through that had scans of some of her work, to explain who she was and what she did. I think it took a little bit of convincing before she understood that not only did I already know who she was, I had stuff for her to sign, and had basically come to the show to see her. 

Because of this, I didn't get quite as much information as I was hoping - I asked if she had a bibliography, and she told me to look in her book for an idea of what she had done, but it was basically just a printout of the GCD. Which I get - she had a few of her comics on hand as well, but she said she had to rebuy them all, because back in the day she had just given all her comp copies away. I have an idea she didn't keep close track of her assignments, and might not have a full list or recollection of everything at this point. 

One bit of information I did learn, though, is that she wrote the entire Three Girls run in Heart Throbs. GCD lists her with credits for one issue - episode 16 in #117 - but she said that in fact, she wrote the entire run in its entirety, which would be 22 issues from #102-123. She said that she loved the serials, so I asked if she had written the April O'Day serial in Girls' Love - I forgot that those were credited to Robert Kanigher. She didn't mention Kanigher, though, instead citing editor Jack Miller for that. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to her too much more. I told her I was going to circle back around after doing some shopping to try and find more of her books now that I had a slightly better idea what to bring her. When I returned, though, she had left the show - I gather there was some sort of mixup with her offical invitation from the con so she cut her time short? I hope whatever the problem was it gets sorted out in time for another convention appearance soon, either at Terrificon, or somewhere else in New England.

She was very, very nice, and actually gave me her phone number in case I wanted to talk to her more about her comics, or get other books signed. I might be too shy to call her, but I certainly have more questions!

I also got 3 of the 4 issues in the 20 Miles to Heartbreak arc signed, though I am still missing Secret Hearts #142 unfortunately!

13 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

I had a chance to talk to Barbara Friedlander at Terrificon yesterday. She was very nice, and gracious. I definitely got the impression that this was all new to her, and she was really amazed anyone knew who she was. She had a little book she had put together on her table that people could look through that had scans of some of her work, to explain who she was and what she did. I think it took a little bit of convincing before she understood that not only did I already know who she was, I had stuff for her to sign, and had basically come to the show to see her. 

Because of this, I didn't get quite as much information as I was hoping - I asked if she had a bibliography, and she told me to look in her book for an idea of what she had done, but it was basically just a printout of the GCD. Which I get - she had a few of her comics on hand as well, but she said she had to rebuy them all, because back in the day she had just given all her comp copies away. I have an idea she didn't keep close track of her assignments, and might not have a full list or recollection of everything at this point. 

One bit of information I did learn, though, is that she wrote the entire Three Girls run in Heart Throbs. GCD lists her with credits for one issue - episode 16 in #117 - but she said that in fact, she wrote the entire run in its entirety, which would be 22 issues from #102-123. She said that she loved the serials, so I asked if she had written the April O'Day serial in Girls' Love - I forgot that those were credited to Robert Kanigher. She didn't mention Kanigher, though, instead citing editor Jack Miller for that. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to her too much more. I told her I was going to circle back around after doing some shopping to try and find more of her books now that I had a slightly better idea what to bring her. When I returned, though, she had left the show - I gather there was some sort of mixup with her offical invitation from the con so she cut her time short? I hope whatever the problem was it gets sorted out in time for another convention appearance soon, either at Terrificon, or somewhere else in New England.

She was very, very nice, and actually gave me her phone number in case I wanted to talk to her more about her comics, or get other books signed. I might be too shy to call her, but I certainly have more questions!

I also got 3 of the 4 issues in the 20 Miles to Heartbreak arc signed, though I am still missing Secret Hearts #142 unfortunately!

Post 'em up!

I went back and forth over whether to have her sign on the cover or on the inside, but she suggested inside, so I just went with that. 

My god, Alex Toth is just a genius. The fact that his stories aren't worth a lot more is criminal. Everyone should be seeking these out!

M26eT6P.jpg

As far as pickups for the day, I was just getting low grade readers for the most part. A couple crept into mid-grade, but that's about it. I think all of these were between $1.65 and $3 each - most were $2 each - with the exceptions of Time for Love ($4) and Girls' Love #179 with the crazy screaming toddler cover ($6). 

There was one dealer who had some really nice higher grade Marvel Bronze Age romance books that I was very tempted by, but it was kind of the curse of the 8.5. At those prices, I wanted it to be just a little bit better, so I ended up passing, but there were a few issues of Our Love and My Love that almost sucked me in. Same for a nice copy of Romantic Story #41, which I really wanted, but it was about a 6.0, so I wanted it to either be an 8.0 or be cheaper. :smirk:

Here's what I ended up with from the bargain bins:

kHLiyGk.jpg

IaeZVZQ.jpg

The Just Married #93 is a slight upgrade for me. I think this is going to be a must buy for me whenever I see it. It's the first issue of the David and Eileen serial, which is all about an inter-faith marriage between an Irish-Catholic woman and a Jewish man. They aren't too subtle about it, either. Charlton!

Edited by Crimebuster

28 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm new to this genre after picking up a few books from electricprune here on the Boards. Here's a few I picked up this weekend....

YoungRomance#87.jpg

I've been buying nice copies of this one for a little while hoping to find one like yours.  What a great looking copy!

Not sure if this book was really loved and read a lot, or really hated and left in the basement to die!  Lots of things wrong with this Matt Baker Masterpiece, but still complete.  Picked it up in a box lot group this summer.  It may have a little value today still..

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

4 hours ago, Chief1332 said:

Not sure if this book was really loved and read a lot, or really hated and left in the basement to die!  Lots of things wrong with this Matt Baker Masterpiece, but still complete.  Picked it up in a box lot group this summer.  It may have a little value today still..

IMG_2939.JPG

"It may have a little value today"  :roflmao:

Yeah, I'd say it has a "little" value.  Too funny...  You can sell it to me for $20!!!

49 minutes ago, Yorick said:

"It may have a little value today"  :roflmao:

Yeah, I'd say it has a "little" value.  Too funny...  You can sell it to me for $20!!!

It seems so few come up for sale.. I've been trying to find sites that track this item and others like it without much luck.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, Chief1332 said:

It seems so few come up for sale.. I've been trying to find sites that track this item and others like it without much luck.

Just check out the Heritage Auctions archive, Chief.  https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+1867+1060+1084&Ns=Bid+and+Track+A

You'll probably best posting in the Golden Age threads with this too.. :wink:

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Just check out the Heritage Auctions archive, Chief.  https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+1867+1060+1084&Ns=Bid+and+Track+A

You'll probably best posting in the Golden Age threads with this too.. :wink:

Thank you, Gnasher.

Appreciate the help