• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Bronze Romance Books
9 9

269 posts in this topic

Everyone else's books are about a thousand times nicer than mine, but I thought I'd post here anyway. I just bought a large lot of DC romance, running from 1965-1975. The final haul was 92 issues for the cost of $180, or $2 each. Most of them are low grade readers, but there are some solid mid-grade books mixed in.

I'm getting them in a couple batches, so I've only received the Girls' Love Stories issues so far, but here are a some of the nicer looking ones I picked up, which are probably in the 5.0-6.5 range (and which could all benefit significantly from a cleaning and a press).

I'm pretty happy with these for two bucks each (even if the lady on #164 with no pupils is creeping me out):

Sounds like a fantastic find! My romance issues tend to be VG and under. I am thrilled when I find them at all at my cheap price range so I don't worry about condition so much.

Nice books!

I've noticed some dealers are pricing these later, all-reprint issues more aggressively, especially if they're in HG.

Thanks.

I think you're right, and I really think this is indicative both of their rarity and how relatively easy it's become to complete a BA run of Marvels. Marvel completionists have very few challenges that can't be overcome by opening the wallet. Now that they realize these long-dissed romance reprint books are truly tough, the demand has gone up considerably.

More goodies found while digging through my collection.

The first one just screams 70's. You know, the more I look at this, the more I wonder if this could be by Byrne. A lot of similarities to his mid-80's work, and he was doing Charlton stuff at this point.???

CCF01102013_00001_zps6e12b0fd.jpg

CCF01102013_00002_zpsa140f454.jpg

CCF01102013_00003_zpsf8cae61e.jpg

Edited by underthebigw

I haven't gone after the Charltons yet. They look pretty good.

How's the PQ on these? Are there alot of miscut pages, etc.? (You know, the regular Charlton problems...)

According to the GCD, the cover artist on L&R 19 is Demetrio Sánchez Gómez (an artist I'm not familiar with).

But I agree, there's something about the shape of the faces that does look very Byrne-like.

Here's another question for you guys --

Does anyone know which DC titles survived into the Bronze Age and for how long?

Girl's Romances made it to 1971.

Girl's Love Stories to 1973.

Falling in Love to 1973.

Heart Throbs to 1973 (titled changed to Love Stories for the last few issues).

Young Love to 1977, Young Romance until 1975.

Secret Hearts until 1971.

I must forgetting some of the other titles...

I've been tempted to try for a mini-run of the 48/52 pagers, maybe the twenty-cent issues. Probably pretty tough to put together in VF or better.

The PQ is freakin' horrible. Absolutely horrible, just like all of their other books, maybe even worse. I don't know why, but it seems like it's definitely worse than the horror books, and marginally poorer than the cartoon books. Lots of miscuts, random blobs of ink, horrible paper, etc. Look at the L&R I posted--like the 3" random black strip of ink in the LRC? Typical. The problems get worse with time. The 20 cent books aren't horrible, but by 1975 it's pretty bad.

I haven't gone after the Charltons yet. They look pretty good.

How's the PQ on these? Are there alot of miscut pages, etc.? (You know, the regular Charlton problems...)

According to the GCD, the cover artist on L&R 19 is Demetrio Sánchez Gómez (an artist I'm not familiar with).

But I agree, there's something about the shape of the faces that does look very Byrne-like.

I tried collecting My Secret Life but the PQ was terrible that I stopped after getting a handful of issues. It is a shame because that title had a few interesting stories as well.

January was a good month for love! I picked up these three books...

ML6_zps0aceb1f0.jpg

Don't miss the rapture of...Happy Ending!

OLS7_zps4d6740cd.jpg

One more to come...a little tanning, but I'm cool with it.

OLS12_zps3870e294.jpg

Edited by MisterX

CAREER GIRL ROMANCES #56 1970-CHARLTON-MARIJUANA USE COVER VG

WS32-147.jpg

Issue: 56

Year: 1970

Month:

Publisher: Charlton

Description: Hippie smoke marijuana at a dance party on this wacky cover and the Comics Code censors did not notice it. Check the girl with the marijuana pipe at the bottom of page 23. They missed this, too.

Grade: VG

Charlton Drug Book hit the newsstands several months before the Spiderman No Comics Code Seal Drug issues #96, #97 and #98 as well as the GL/GA #85 and #86 Speedy Junkie issues.

That's it. I freakin' quit.

Those last 4 issues of Young Romance are just impossible. In fact, I think the 25c books are just about the toughest Marvels or DCs to find in any shape, never mind HG. That run is just too sweet.